$500,000 Surprise: Health Care Sticker Shock Awaits You in Retirement

There have been many discussions on health care proposals and legislation, and members have shared their opinions freely. There is no problem as long as the community rules are respected.

What does lead to ending the discussions is when sarcasm, snark and politics come together and take over the discussion, which then becomes useless for the rest of us.

My DH is on medicare, we live in CA and he pays $450 ish quarterly. Zero copays. He had his eyelids "done" and it cost $0, no copays.

While it's not an easy project, you might consider getting into looking at the future possibilities and probabilities for Medicare/Medicaid, as the discussion trickles out in the news. Not just the proposals, but the positions the healthcare industry is taking.
A secondary but very important part of projecting costs in the future for retirement planning, is the longer term effect of the change from
CPI to Chained CPI. Also, benefits like corporate support may in fact, not be there.

There are so many parts of whatever new plan comes into being, that the temptation is to wait, and worry when change happens. Understanding the potentialities and being prepared could lessen any anxiety, and be a help in making long term plans.

Current studies indicate that less than 5% of the public has even a cursory understanding of impending healthcare legislation.

Last edited:
yeah I agree, while he was telling stories to his bowling alley buddies, I was working 5 more years "just in case". Any extra program he finds out about, i.e his $194 a month food stamps, well that just frees up more money to make side bets in the cash prizes at the bowling alley.
Yep, really tempting to make my OMY into OMD (One More Day) and let someone else pay.

For those of us who actually like to "play by the rules" and don't have Tricare or any Megacorp paid insurance, this topic hits hard, and the numbers are not that crazy. One reason I think this is because we see yearly increases in the max OOP numbers, now in the $16K range and increasing steadily. It isn't hard to reach OOP max, at least before Medicare kicks in.

Last edited:
IMO, the article is just shock value reading. The way I look at health care costs, the system will be set up to service the average Joe one way or another. DW and I will be able to weave ourselves through the loop holes to afford care. We have diligently saved through our lives (no doubt more than average Joe), so, I'm not too worried with health care costs. We'll figure out how to make it through!

Here we go.............................. Oink Oink............ LOL

JoeWras, you probably should have reworded your post to "those who do not already have some form of subsided HI for whatever reason". Certainly nothing against the folk who enjoy that, they have earned/paid for it.

Last edited:
There have been many discussions on health care proposals and legislation, and members have shared their opinions freely. There is no problem as long as the community rules are respected.

What does lead to ending the discussions is when sarcasm, snark and politics come together and take over the discussion, which then becomes useless for the rest of us.

But my recent thread on the Senate bill was closed after one partisan post (that I saw, of course others could have been deleted).

Wouldn't the better answer be to just delete the offenders so that conversation can continue? That thread was closed in less than a day!

The inference I get, same as ShokWave, is that you can't talk about HC policy around here.

Last edited:
Here we go.............................. Oink Oink............ LOL

JoeWras, you probably should have reworded your post to "those who do not already have some form of subsided HI for whatever reason". Certainly nothing against the folk who enjoy that, they have earned/paid for it.

I'm confused as to why you think it's okay to refer to the mods as "porky" and make pig noises?

Any chance you could make your opinions a little less derogatory:confused:? I for one don't think it's funny.

I'm confused as to why you think it's okay to refer to the mods as "porky" and make pig noises?

Any chance you could make your opinions a little less derogatory:confused:? I for one don't think it's funny.

Porky is not a reference to the moderators. It is the Graphic they put on when a thread is closed.... LOL

If you click on the video that usually gets posted on a closed thread, its Porky Pig, from eh cartoon saying that's all folks. I do not believe the poster was being mean spirited.

Nothing more heartwarming than a good old fashioned bash the moderators thread...

I am an admin on 5 FB Groups, you have not seen Moderator Bashing till you have managed one of those. :)

I am an admin on 5 FB Groups, you have not seen Moderator Bashing till you have managed one of those. :)

Ah, then you understand why threads may be closed here, after extensive discussion by the mod squad and deletion of posts that go over the line.

Ah, then you understand why threads may be closed here, after extensive discussion by the mod squad and deletion of posts that go over the line.

We are somewhat more forgiving than here though, but we do not have sponsors to consider other than the admins themselves. A little tongue in cheek is expected. We also have children to think of there that makes things more complicated. Language is our biggest problem and after 1 warning a bannable offence.

$300k is only a bit less than my entire retirement savings!

Am I doomed? :D

We're all doomed. It is always ever a question of how and when, but never if. Arguably knowing the how you're ahead of the game. ;-)

By the by, I am a huge fan of TE Lawrence, which I presume you are too!

[Admin hat on]

There is no doubt that the U.S. laws regarding health care and health insurance have a substantial effect on the lives of our members and therefore are matters of great concern. We understand that people would like to talk about it. The problem is that, because it is so important, it tends to arouse strong emotions, and when opinions differ, as they always do, the threads often degenerate into nasty commentary that is neither helpful nor conducive to the friendly attitude we want to foster here.

After careful consideration, the moderators have drawn a line at discussing mere proposals by political figures, raised but not passed bills and the like, because 1) there is no way to know if they will ever be submitted, voted on, passed without modification or signed by the President and 2) the opinions expressed by one or more members on this board are highly unlikely to sway anyone with the power to do anything about it. What such expressions will do is stir up rancor here. Indeed, if it were up to me alone, I would ban discussion of anything but the actual law, as passed by Congress and signed by the President.

At the end of the day, the best use of our time and effort here is to help each other cope with any new law affecting our health care or insurance. Commenting on the motivations, good faith and/or intelligence of those who made it the law, or those who opposed it, is mere barking at the moon. So, once we have a law and we see what it says, feel free to pile in with suggestions, plans and questions. But understand that angry and/or anxious commentary before that point is likely to draw the attention of the moderators.

Last edited:
A half million worth of overpricing

Good on this. It defends my question, which is: Are there any studies, proposals, bills or speculations directed toward reducing medical COSTS in the USA? I'm talking cost not price, and I'm definitely not talking about shifting the preposterous bill from one group to another.

In all honesty, all I've seen for years from politicians regarding this issue is posturing about who should get screwed, whether it's through means testing, rationing of care, taxation, etc.

I'm completely nonpartisan on this; officials from both the left and right share the guilt for honing their demagoguery on health care. Plenty of data exist that quality health care can be delivered for a fraction of the cost it incurs in the Home of the Brave. But nobody tackles the actual reasons; they just want to blame the other side.

I have my own hunches about why it's so absurdly expensive here, but I'm willing to be persuaded by people smarter than I.

So in Peanuts (A Charlie Brown Christmas) fashion, I'm asking the world, "Isn't there anyone who knows what medical costs are really about?"

P.S. No name-calling, please. Just stick to data and I promise to be your best friend. I'll even give you frontsies in the cafeteria line at lunch! :)

So in Peanuts (A Charlie Brown Christmas) fashion, I'm asking the world, "Isn't there anyone who knows what medical costs are really about?"

The Institute of Healthcare Improvement (IHI) has done a lot of work with individual healthcare organizations to improve the quality of care, including reducing waste and errors, improving effectiveness, efficiency and safety, and therefore cost. But they have been largely unsuccessful in making change at the legislative level in the USA.

History

After careful consideration, the moderators have drawn a line at discussing mere proposals by political figures, raised but not passed bills and the like, because 1) there is no way to know if they will ever be submitted, voted on, passed without modification or signed by the President and 2) the opinions expressed by one or more members on this board are highly unlikely to sway anyone with the power to do anything about it. What such expressions will do is stir up rancor here. Indeed, if it were up me alone, I would ban discussion of anything but the actual law, as passed by Congress and signed by the President.

My only comment is that there is value in discussion of what "might be". Forewarned is forearmed, so to speak, which can be of value. Moreover, thoughtful debate can help individuals crystallize their own thoughts on a topic.

That having been said, most of these "issues" generally have long lead times so there is time for discussion that leads to preparation.

Regardless, I wholly agree if the tenor of discussion is rancorous there is no point to it...

Thank you Mods, I think you do fine.

I don't really care about politics regarding this topic.

The fact is many of us are paying a lot, and will continue to pay more (regardless of politics). It is a huge concern for us. I thought that article hit home.

For those who have paid H.I., great! That's awesome. But that's not everyone's path.

I'm done with this thread. Too hot.

- Joe

Back
Top Bottom