51 counties in California can delay tax filing until 10/16/23

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2023-03-02/california-tax-deadlines-pushed-back-to-october

"The relief is available to anyone living or working in 51 counties covered by Federal Emergency Management Agency emergency and disaster declarations. That includes Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura and San Diego counties.

State and federal authorities had previously delayed the deadline to May 15. Last week, though, the Internal Revenue Service pushed it back again, to Oct. 16. Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Thursday that the state is doing the same."

I certified-mailed my California tax on 3/18/23 and USPS tracking still shows 'In Transit'. I live in one of the affected Counties. If the mail ever gets lost, I guess I will have to use TurboTax to e-file it before 10/16/23.

That sounds like a lot (millions) of people that will be able to significantly delay filings this year. That gives the IRS a bit of a "processing" break too.

There are only 7 other counties, who must be feeling left out: Imperial, Kern, and the five in the upper-right-hand corner where cows outnumber people.

Well in one announcement my county is listed but not in a subsequent announcement.
[emoji848]

I guess I'm missing the point anyway.

Anyone can get an extension by either filing a form on paper or online, or by making a payment of even $1 against taxes owed.

The only thing about the disaster provision is that they don't even have to do that.

I guess I'm missing the point anyway.

Anyone can get an extension by either filing a form on paper or online, or by making a payment of even $1 against taxes owed.

The only thing about the disaster provision is that they don't even have to do that.

This is not the same as an extension. Normally with an extension you still have to pay the entire amount due in April (not just $1) or else you owe penalties and interest when you finally do pay. With disaster relief, the due date for the initial payment is changed and there will be no penalties or interest if the full amount is paid by October 16.

Also, the dates for quarterly estimates that are usually due in January, April, June and September were all postponed to October.

Parts of Georgia, Alabama, New York and Mississippi have also had their due dates moved, and I expect there will be additional changes after the horrible tornado damage yesterday and today.

Yeah, that's the good news. I'll efile before April 15. I'll put the refunds to estimated 2023 taxes.

But I'll delay paying the 20 grand of estimated taxes until 10-15-23 - :)

I spent quite a while today in an online chat with the CA FTB. We are filing our return on time, but we have to pay and I’d prefer not to pay until 10/16. The website doesn’t address that situation. It says we can delay filing and payment until 10/16, but doesn’t clearly address what happens if we file on time but don’t pay until later.

According to the FTB Rep on the chat, after he researched it, he came back and said I could file on time but defer payment until October. Hope he’s right!

Last month I drove through parts of CA. The number of fields, orchards and auto junkyards I saw that are still under water was amazing. Rivers were flowing right up to their banks. Roads were still be closed due to flooding. And I ran into an amazing amount of rain, especially for So Cal in March.

FWIW, I was also reminded of what a beautiful state CA is with its huge variety of natural features.

Back
Top Bottom