54 and ready - scared... here's my situation

What does someone in their 50's budget for health care? I can't see a reliable way to come up with a number...

Me 57 and DH 60 pay $1,380 per month for a PPO Silver. Deductible $2,500 each. Keeps going up each year.

Resurrecting my original thread.

After 5 years and a lot of time learning so much from this community (thank you all - especially the “long timers”) and saving a lot more… and better understanding so many aspects of retirement planning… I announced my retirement from Megacorp after close to 27 years earlier today.

I offered up 2, 3 or no more than 6 weeks more as I have a pre-arranged multi-week personal trip planned with DW (our first to Europe without the kids). Boss was really great and suggested we give formal announcement to HR end of next week and say end of September as official end date even though the unofficial date will be earlier.

I’ve had a paid j*b since I was 12 years old and now at 59 I’m nervous and apprehensive but I’ve done so much homework that I know it’s going to be ok.

Phew. What a day.

Last edited:
I was one year older than you when I pulled the plug. My only regret was not doing it a few years sooner. And like you, I had been working since I was a very young man. (boy)

Congrads.

Last edited:

After 5 years and a lot of time learning so much from this community (thank you all - especially the “long timers”) and saving a lot more… and better understanding so many aspects of retirement planning… I announced my retirement from Megacorp after close to 27 years earlier today.

I offered up 2, 3 or no more than 6 weeks more as I have a pre-arranged multi-week personal trip planned with DW (our first to Europe without the kids). Boss was really great and suggested we give formal announcement to HR end of next week and say end of September as official end date even though the unofficial date will be earlier.

I’ve had a paid j*b since I was 12 years old and now at 59 I’m nervous and apprehensive but I’ve done so much homework that I know it’s going to be ok.

Phew. What a day.
Good for you!!
I'm sure you have the money thing figured out. The rest will fall into place and you will find your way. Always some adjustment and nervousness comes with it.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your new job, retirement.

Phew. What a day.

Congrats! That's very inspiring.

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll really enjoy your trip without having to check any work email or wonder what will be waiting on your desk when you get home.

Last edited:
WoooHoo! As you said, you've done your homework and you know that you'll be fine. Remind yourself that often, if needed. On to the next chapter and have fun!

Congratulations!

I retired in September of 2019, on a budget smaller than many here, and am loving it. The best part of retirement for me turned out to be that I'm able to make my own choices for my time every day. What a privilege and a luxury!

Enjoy those "lasts" at work - everything from that last meeting to that last report to the last time you clean out your desk.

You planned and saved and now you are ready! Yay!

Phew. What a day.

Congratulations!

I retired about 5 months after you started this thread, at age 60. If it is worth anything, none of the fears I had going into retirement ever surfaced in these 5 years.

Like you, from a monetary standpoint I could have retired earlier, also in my mid-50s. But for me it was worth working those extra years to build up more financial security across the board (increased savings, pension, and future SS). With that in place, the freedom to decide every day what to do - it has become wonderfully indescribable.

Enjoy this time!

Congratulations and welcome to retirement!

Welcome to the club!!! That first day you don’t have to go to work is amazing and stress levels just go away!

After 5 years and a lot of time learning so much from this community (thank you all - especially the “long timers”) and saving a lot more… and better understanding so many aspects of retirement planning… I announced my retirement from Megacorp after close to 27 years earlier today. ...

Phew. What a day.

Congratulations! :dance: It is very natural to be nervous and apprehensive. We humans are creatures of habit and change is difficult. I'm happy to report that the water is fine.

Congrats Yipper !

You beat me out of the Rat Race by a couple of year. As I retired at age 61-1/2.

Enjoy the Europe trip. Hope yawl are flying Business !

Retirement is Wonderful

Back
Top Bottom