55 this year. Any Financial changes?

captain3d

Full time employment: Posting here.
I found that I can contribute an extra $1000 to my HSA this year as I will be 55.

Are there any other 55 year bonuses I might be missing?

IRS rule of 55! RE this year, or up until 59.5, and 401(k) withdrawals won’t get hit with the 10% early withdrawal penalty!

They started when you were 50, but don't miss out on catch up contributions to IRA/401(k)/403(b).

Thanks. I did 50+ catch ups but no longer have earned income for IRA etc.

Good to know I can take some out penalty free if needed

Thanks. I did 50+ catch ups but no longer have earned income for IRA etc.

Good to know I can take some out penalty free if needed

Wait -- when did you separate from service from the employer where you had a 401(k)-type plan? You can only access it penalty-free if you separated in the year that you turned 55 (or later).

Last edited:
IRS rule of 55! RE this year, or up until 59.5, and 401(k) withdrawals won’t get hit with the 10% early withdrawal penalty!

Only if your company's 401K allows rule of 55. In our case neither my company or my DW's allowed it. Get a copy of your summary plan description from your HR office to see if it does.

HSAs can also have another $1000/year if you are over 55. (Assuming you have a HDHP with HSA).

Just to clarify on the 401k thing, even though it doesn't apply to the OP... Your 401k plan must allow withdrawals starting at 55 - and not all do. The IRS allows 401k plans to allow this - but doesn't require it. So check your plan or confirm with HR if you are planning on pulling from your 401k at age 55.

Congratulations !! Now you can walk into a 55+ communities with more confidence :dance:

55+ communities of course did not even think of that one

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom