6 or 9 months notice?

I would not give any more than a 6 month notice. Should they want you longer they might offer some type of extra incentive to stay a few more months.

I've never worked anywhere that had any concept of retirement other than the fact they they offered a 401k plan.

So in terms of the way one leaves the company - "retiring" is no different than "resigning" - and 2 weeks notice is sufficient for either.

Last edited:
I would not give such a long notice. I don't really understand what it does for you? Makes you a nice guy? I wouldn't want to screw my employer, but they know what the game is. I plan 2 weeks notice.

I gave early notice (2 months) once before and they put me on a horrible mind numbing project of documenting the entire departments policies and procedures. When this happened, I just quit. Too much can happen. Plus our bonus and stock options are subjective and I can't imagine my manager giving me a bonus that is any more than minimum required if he knows I am leaving. I would do the same!

For those that are entitled to bonuses: My previous 2 employers gave bonuses. As a Manager, I was given a fixed allotment of $$$ to divvy out to eligible employees. If one gives too-long notice and is eligible for bonus, their manager might decide to give him/her no or little bonus, and use the savings for the employees who remain.

I retired from the feds in 2009. In 1995, our organization had an ugly, "politically-driven" RIF. It was then that I began my countdown to my 55th birthday, when I could and did retire. My analog countdown was posted on my office door, until it was replaced by a countdown clock some years later. With time, absolutely everyone in the organization knew about it. I had a unique skill set, so my services were in demand until I walked out the door. In essence, I gave them over 14 years notice.

I retired from the feds in 2009. In 1995, our organization had an ugly, "politically-driven" RIF. It was then that I began my countdown to my 55th birthday, when I could and did retire. My analog countdown was posted on my office door, until it was replaced by a countdown clock some years later. With time, absolutely everyone in the organization knew about it. I had a unique skill set, so my services were in demand until I walked out the door. In essence, I gave them over 14 years notice.

I think that's a record for countdown length! Wonderful, aldo. You had a goal and you stuck with it for fourteen years and retired on schedule.

Thanks W2R. My only regret is that I didn't make note of the number when I began my countdown. I only remember it being greater than 5,000 and quietly celebrating 4,999

I don't feel bad about the idea of giving minimal notice. Companies go out of their way with their policies to remind you that you are an at-will employee who can be let go because they don't like the tie you're wearing.

It's a two way street. If the company can't handle people leaving with 2 or no weeks notice, they should offer some kind of contract, like severance assurances in the case anyone is laid off. There's a solution for their problem other than just hoping and praying their employees will be "professional". Just give your essential employees a contract so they can't leave without penalties.

But you can't reserve the right to let people go on a moment's notice, and then cry foul when you don't get 3 months notice from employees who decide to leave.

+++1 It is only business. Look out for yourself. I always laugh when these self anointed important managers think the company will not go on without them.

Those last three months were an eternity but if you are a manager then you need to give several months notice just to be professionally responsible.
I respectfully disagree. Management is an occupation rather than a profession. Unlike, say, a doctor or lawyer who has a responsibilty to look out for his or her patients/clients during transition periods, a manager has no ethical obligation to provide an employer with several months notice.

glippy, well said.

I have to admit that I am with Jay, Milton, and Glippy on this. Most employment these days is at will -- meaning that either party may terminate employment for any reason at any time. Two weeks notice is considered customary.

This is not to say that there are not some very valuable employees who, if they gave only two weeks notice of leaving would not impact the company. In these cases, it is up to the employers to protect themselves with policies, procedures, and if necessary, employment contracts.

Edit to add: of course there are some exceptions, but certainly not in the majority of cases.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. Management is an occupation rather than a profession. Unlike, say, a doctor or lawyer who has a responsibilty to look out for his or her patients/clients during transition periods, a manager has no ethical obligation to provide an employer with several months notice.

glippy, well said.

I guess it depends on whether you expect to get another job and whether the way you left the old job matters to your new employer.

Years ago I left a group I had been working with for 2-3 years. I really didn't like the group leader and the way the group was run. I got another job within the same employer and made a vow not to bad mouth the people I had previously worked with. If my opinion were made known then it would probably have gotten around to my colleagues. I've seen others leave the organization and send out a vitriolic email on their way out. I felt it was in bad taste and would not have been inclined to give them a positive recommendation if I had been asked.

When I ER'd I left, as I said, on a positive note. I still go out to lunch with some of the people I worked with. While I made my ER decision when I was angry, I had six months to calm down and I'm glad I did. To each his own . . .

Years ago I left a group I had been working with for 2-3 years. I really didn't like the group leader and the way the group was run. I got another job within the same employer and made a vow not to bad mouth the people I had previously worked with. If my opinion were made known then it would probably have gotten around to my colleagues. I've seen others leave the organization and send out a vitriolic email on their way out. I felt it was in bad taste and would not have been inclined to give them a positive recommendation if I had been asked.

When I ER'd I left, as I said, on a positive note.

Marty, we were discussing giving notice, or did I miss something?

I always try to avoid burning bridges now. In the past I burnt some, and it came back to bite me in the butt.

I remember a guy who just went to HR one day and put in his retirement papers. Neither he nor HR told his supervisor. A few weeks went by as the guy out processed at HR. Then he just didn't show up on Monday.

After a couple of days his former supervisor called HR and they told him the guy had retired! I assume there was some bad blood involved or something. The guy was only a mechanic, so had no real responsibilities.

That story just makes me shake my head at the dysfunction.

I agree with one poster who said that if you give too much, you may get shafted on things like the limited bonus pool money. Other examples are crappy assignments, sloth-like movement from your manager to hire your replacement, extended period of training your replacement, hatred from some who may say "Geesh, he must think he's important and that we can't live without him...I wish he would just go NOW."

I'm considering the same options when I FIRE in about 2 years...and the thing that worries me the most about giving long notice is that I know they'll pull me off of the satisfying projects to ensure continuity...and I don't think my final months will be as rewarding. As a result, I've decided on 1 month's notice.

The one big advantage we have if we are giving notice of ER is that we are probably FI. If my successful ER really depends on a few last paychecks or a payout from a bonus pool, then I intend to wait until after I have absolutely secured those things before I tell my employer that I am leaving. Then, if they want my help in maintaining continuity for a reasonable time I can do that, and a few weeks or even months of working past FI will not inconvenience me much. If I give notice too soon and as a result am ushered out the door or reallocated bonus payments to reward only people who will still be working there or even just given terrible work assignments, then I have put myself in a position to be hurt that I didn't have to be in.

I intend to extend every courtesy that the company has afforded me. They will be receiving ~5 minutes notice shortly after the new year.

I intend to extend every courtesy that the company has afforded me. They will be receiving ~5 minutes notice shortly after the new year.

Oh my. Sounds like you have had some bad experiences with this company.

To me it just sounds like pjdaddy has had to put up with the treatment that most - though admittedly not all - employees receive from their employers. E.g., last minute weekend assignments that must be done whether or not you have other plans; policies dictated from above with little if any consultation; employees pressured to move to remote branch offices/plants; etc.

When I was hired by my current firm, I was asked to report for work ASAP, and encouraged to give the mininum possible notice to my existing employer. I have not forgotten that.

I would caution against giving an early notice and against making your intentions known to anyone in your workplace, even on an informal basis, if there is even a remote chance of downsizing. Apart from the possiblity of a 'package', your personal situation could change over 3 or 6 months.

Several years ago I had a direct report resign. He was on a list to be downsized within the next month. He missed out on a very attractive settlement.

I was one of the lucky ones. I was prepared and ready to go after 25 years with megacorp. And it happened. They paid me to leave. With the exception of the final two years it was a wonderful company to work for-they paid well and had good benefits. It's the only way to go if you can possibly swing it.

So glad I never told anyone because the outcome may have been different-as it was for one of my associates.

So glad I never told anyone because the outcome may have been different-as it was for one of my associates.

What happened to him/her?

I agree with you about keeping quiet. I talked about ER with a few people and word did leak out. My boss even asked me about my retirement plans - although that may have been coincidental because he is retiring soon too and we've always joked that we're going to go at the same time.

I've been doing damage control ever since. I plan to tell them shortly after the first of the year - giving them 5 months' notice.

Nui

So far he has not been downsized...and probably will not since everyone knows he plans to go by early next Spring.

I gave around 6 months notice because we were going to reorganize and I wanted my team of folks to be reassigned during the reorganization so I could work with their new manager and do a brain dump prior to my retirement. I also was hoping once they knew I was going to retire, I could possibly get an interest in leaving severance package. We had done a downsizing a couple of months earlier and I had asked to be one of the people they were downsizing and was denied.

I asked my boss to consider me if there was any more downsizing. She did pursue a package for me when there was some downsizing going on in another area in our department which did not impact her organization which resulted in me getting 1 year of severance pay. I would not have gotten this if I hadn't all ready announced my retirement.

So it worked out for me to give more notice.

I am taking the advice I've received from this community on giving notice after the annual bonus amounts are set. Like some others, I want to leave on a positive note (after almost 19 years) and ensure a decent transition for my manager and colleagues. Just today, my manager told me I'm his "go-to guy". I'm planning on giving six weeks notice at the end of May and leaving right after the next paid holiday (July 4th).

In between, I'm taking days off for school activities as my daughter finishes elementary school. I have several good friends here and many acquaintances so I will use this time for some nice lunches.

Staying patient, keeping quiet and counting down the workdays as I sunset my corporate career to be a stay at home dad and pursue my next career as an elementary school teacher...

Back
Top Bottom