62, son 17

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'll turn 62 in July I wasn't planning on applying for SS until I retire from the job- (as I make too much) I understand my 17 year old son will be eligible for a benefit the question is what will I need to do to file... Go to SS with a birth certificate?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

Probably not worth the lifetime benefit hit you will be taking to apply at 17, way back in the day 18 wasn't the cutoff, I think kids in college could continue to get money, not anymore, even if they are still in HS..18 is the cutoff.

The cut-off for a dependent is 18, but if he is in high school, he continues to get benefits for the months he is in school up until he graduates or turns 19 years, 2 months old, whichever occurs first. I've two sons that collected benefits for several years, the younger one turns 18 in September but, after some paperwork where the school certifies he is a student, his benefits will continue until next June 2017 when he graduates. The older one collected benefits until he was 18 years, six months old but his benefits stopped when summer vacation started and he would have needed to re-apply for benefits when school started last Fall. We did not bother as the younger son's benefits doubled due to only one child (instead of two) was collecting to total to the calculated max family benefit. In other words, as a family we were collecting the same total benifit regardless if it was split between one or two dependents.

When the older child turned 18, the benefits were no longer sent to me as a parent/guardian , but had to be sent to a bank account that was in his name and SSN, not mine.

I'm pretty sure you would need to apply for SS benefits first, then request benefits for dependents. I believe you can not file and suspend unless you are at FRA, but I could be wrong. In my case, I started benefits at 63.5 years and am currently 66.

Somehow I thought you just recently retired!

Last edited:
So the payments stop at 18 and to continue to collect money after that point special paperwork needs to be filed? I can see how that can be confusing...good to hear the details firsthand.

I'm going to be in the same situation (my son will turn 17 a month after I turn 62) but I'm a little confused about one point - do I have to actually file for SS at that time in order for him to collect until he turns 18? The documents I've read only indicate I have to "be entitled" to benefits.

Last edited:
Some questions for you:

- If your son weren't a factor - would you start collecting at age 62 - or let your SS benefits grow till FRA or age 70 or some other age in between?

- Are you still working? There are income levels that will reduce your SS and your son's SS. That's a big deal. So don't apply unless you are ready to retire.

My husband retired and started collecting SS - our sons also collected a benefit. Then his former employer lost his replacement (the guy quit with no notice) and he was asked to step back in and finish the project. This totally screwed us financially because SS clawed back not just DH's ss - but money from the boys. So pay close attention to the factors on how much you can earn.

Fortunately, DH is back to being retired, and he and I are both much happier now. Unfortunately, he's working on a project that might turn into a four year job starting next year.... If he's successful, the boys will no longer be able to claim a benefit.

Back
Top Bottom