71 and still working

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Had a friend contact me mid last week that I haven't seen in 25 years. He asked if I would be around Sunday night, he would stop by to see me. He was just in the area to visit.

The guy is 71 still working for the State University, 47 years and counting. It was really great to see him and I owe him a lot for the years when he helped me build my first home. He was there and helped every step of the way just to learn how.

Had a hard time walking and all he could do was talk about work. We talked about retirement very little and he just can't do it. I really felt sorry for him in a way because all he has in life is his job. I guess he is happy that is all that matters thou. He is one of the most frugal people I have ever know in life. He has to have a stash like no other. Owns land (160A) in one of the richest areas in the state and never been married.

This has been a topic hashed over man times but I bet everyone here knows one just like this guy.

I really only know one like that... He just retired at 74 with 8 digits in savings... Now he's bored to tears... Sad....

Many folks have made work the dominant force in their lives. Apparently your friend is one of them.

Going into retirement always works best for.those that have mentally, physically and fiscally prepared for it.

I just worked too hard in my profession to ever make it to normal retirement age. 36 1/2 years was long enough for me.

I really enjoyed my career, but had no issues enjoying retirement even more.

I'm married to one...

But some jobs can give a person a full and rewarding life. So to say all he has in life is his job is not the real story.

I know several single folks that have almost no identity outside of their job. Some have a big stash and some do not. I think having a family forces you to turn off the work part of your Brain to focus on family and vice versa. Being well rounded with work/life balance is a skill.

Some chose not to retire because they can't stand not having to get up early and not thinking about work stuff every day.

My school advisor made the transition 4 years ago.

She is 78 now. She is smart and decisive but even her had a tough time adjusting after spending 37 years working at the University.

She is also single, has 8 figures net worth so it is another case of married to work because even now she still take on reviewer / editor role of drafts from PhD students before the publication submission.

Not me. I like to have no career goal and I am not good with people or stress management. That is why I am saving like crazy cause it is my hope that if I remove finance factor fromy work, I may enjoy it more.

There is nothing wrong with working till you drop at a job. I just don't think I could be happy working that long. Being frugal and trying to save and save is a good thing but over doing anything isn't good.

He admits he would just sit around and die so it is better he continues on working.

There is nothing wrong with working till you drop at a job.

That's easy to say if you aren't the one that goes into the office bathroom and finds them dead on the floor.

^ well, true.

That's easy to say if you aren't the one that goes into the office bathroom and finds them dead on the floor.

Better that then hooked up to a bunch of tubes or a vent..anyway, It might be my DH's secret wish to die in his tractor planting corn, that doesn't mean he doesn't like his family.

You know Dr Fauci is 80 what do you think that means?

I know several single folks that have almost no identity outside of their job. Some have a big stash and some do not. I think having a family forces you to turn off the work part of your Brain to focus on family and vice versa. Being well rounded with work/life balance is a skill.

A former co-worker from my job was single, a lifelong bachelor. Kind of a crusty opinionated personality. May be why he was a lifelong bachelor! Or it is possible because he was a bachelor is why he became so crusty and opinionated. Not sure the cause and effect.

At any rate, all he had was his job. When I retired early I egged him on to do the same. He was a lifelong saver and investor, and with no kids or wife to put a claim on his finances, he probably could have retired even earlier than I did.

But no. He wanted to stay, build his finances even further, get that last promotion. So he stayed. He finally retired at age 65. At age 66 he was dead. Died alone and very wealthy. Sad.

Good pal retired @81..he's 87.
Folks ive known that work longer seem to last longer as well, ..imo.
Maybe work PT @ 55/60yrs old.

Good luck & Best wishes...

There is nothing wrong with w*rking until 80 or even 90+ if that's what you enjoy doing. It's like volunteering your time for something you enjoy doing and even get paid for it. To some people, their work is their hobby. And it's OK to have just one hobby especially if that takes a lot of your time. And you said he's very frugal. Maybe making money and saving it is another hobby of his. The main thing is that we're all doing whatever makes us happy.

Someone’s got a find youdead on the floor, somewhere, if you’re lucky.

No, lucky is falling out of bed with a smile on your face. Still rough on your partner, though.

Back
Top Bottom