75 Years Ago Today - Pearl Harbor

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A day that will live in infamy, that seems to be fading quickly out of the public memory and just into history books. Of course, not a lot of people alive today that were around in 1941. I am sure that has a lot to do with it fading into the history books. Many lives lost that day.

Interesting that Japan is now one of our stronger allies and a big trading partner. Quite a difference from 75 years ago.

Even 9/11 seems to be fading out quickly. Let us take a break to remember those lives lost that day as well.

My old Mega lost about 300 lives on 9/11. I'll never forget.

I remember it each year.... I do not do anything except remember the day... not that I lost anybody but just because it is still an important day IMO...

I agree that it is fading away.... I have recorded a few of the programs that have been on talking about it... still very interesting... I was looking at one about the Arizona and it said they think that a mini sub was the main reason it sank so fast... I had never heard this before that there was a mini sub in the harbor.....

Still have to look at the one called 75 years After (or something like that)...

Interesting article on the mini subs.

I watch a lot of history documentaries and some TV series about WWII. The scale of the logistics is staggering - think about what it took to build a B-29 base on Guadalcanal. On an island that had nothing to facilities for all the people, equipment and maintenance gear. Even the little things - somebody had to calculate how many rolls of toilet paper to ship in!

I read somewhere (and have no idea of the accuracy) that by the time the war ended the U.S. was building 10,000 aircraft a month along with training the crews to maintain and fly them, a transport ship a day and an aircraft carrier every week. Even half that would still be amazing.

The Lockheed P-38 Lightning was the only U.S. aircraft in continuous production for the entire war.

The German Bf-109 fighter was the most-produced aircraft with about 33,000 being made. Only a very few remain in existence.

There's a live feed of submersible looking at one of the midgets ups. Astounding...

At age 95 dad was still able to go to a regional commemoration back east today. He was one of two survivors to attend. Over time he has shared the stories of the attack and the days after in Honolulu.

There are now only 5 survivors of the Arizona still alive. One recently published a memoir.

Neat place to visit...lots of history. I would recommend the video and tour to anyone visiting oahu. Definitely worth a couple hours of your life.

Interesting after 75 years the arizona is still leaking fuel into the ocean.

The event still "seems" vivid in my mind, even though i was born nearly 20 yrs after the fact, because of the stories told by my aunts and uncles, where they were when they heard, etc. It and the US involvement in the war that followed defined that generation. My Dad and his brothers and brothers in law all volunteered immediately afterwards. My Dad being frustrated because he was initially 4F due to bowed legs from rickets. He kept trying tho while working in the tool crib at Vought Sikorsky, and finally got in the Army 6 months later. D-day and the Ardennes (Battle of the Bulge) followed for him. One uncle was a POW in Papua New Guinea.

Back
Top Bottom