A kindred spirit?

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
The [-]tightwads[/-] frugal folks who choose to live well below their means will appreciate this:

Kawhi Leonard Drives A ’97 Chevy Because ‘It Runs And It’s Paid Off’

From the article:

He often drives a rehabbed ’97 Chevy Tahoe, nicknamed Gas Guzzler, which he drove across Southern California’s Inland Empire as a teenager. “It runs,” Leonard explains, “and it’s paid off.”

He'll probably be FIREd by the time he's 40 if he wants to. Hell, he's already FI, especially seeing how he manages his money.....

But, but, but... he's only 24 years old! I didn't even have my first car by then, old or new!

OK, OK, I realize he makes a lot of money but it's pretty hard for me to relate. He is definitely living below his means, but his means are so much more than mine ever were at that age.

But, but, but... he's only 24 years old! I didn't even have my first car by then, old or new!

OK, OK, I realize he makes a lot of money but it's pretty hard for me to relate. He is definitely living below his means, but his means are so much more than mine ever were at that age.

Also realize his career will most likely be over in 5 years

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Good to hear about one who is doing it right instead of spending it all and then going bankrupt.

I'm not sure but I suspect (and hope) he and some of his other teammates are following the lead of David Robinson, another Spur who is up for induction into the sadly underpopulated NBA Financial Management Hall of Fame.

I can understand and appreciate keeping his spending down during his rookie contract but now he should spend some money. His rookie contract was for 4yrs/$8.3M. At the end of his contract he probably still had $4M after taxes, plenty to FIRE at age 24. It was smart to limit spending in case he blew out his knee and was forced to retire after his first contract. Now that he signed a GUARANTEED 5yr/$94M+ contract last summer, there is NO reason not to spend a lot more money.

Now that he signed a GUARANTEED 5yr/$94M+ contract last summer, there is NO reason not to spend a lot more money.

But if he is happy, is there any reason TO spend a lot more money?

This guy apparently doesn't think so:

The man who founded IKEA, the world-famous Swedish furniture store, insists on flying economy and buying his clothes secondhand at flea markets.

Kamprad, who turns 90 this March, has an estimated net worth of $39.3 billion.

How a Swedish Farm Boy Hustled His Way to Becoming the Billionaire Owner of IKEA

Back
Top Bottom