A milestone passes....

Puzzley

Recycles dryer sheets
Here’s a true story for you from a bygone era. We live in a rural area near Lexington, Ky, in the heart of tobacco country. In the heyday of tobacco production, every farm had a tobacco patch, and most landowners had a tobacco tenant who raised the crop on the shares. In our neighborhood lived a tobacco tenant and his wife, Cecil and Lois. Now, Cecil was a dedicated tobacco farmer, and labored every day in the patches, as tobacco is extremely labor intensive, over 600 man-hours to the acre. His dedication to his work frequently overshadowed everyday life, and Cecil could be a little forgetful of domestic issues.

On the occasion of their 30th wedding anniversary, Cecil arose early, had a quick breakfast, and left for the tobacco fields without a word about what an important day it was. Lois was, of course, upset by this, and decided that she would NOT remind him, and see if he ever remembered.

Cecil came back for lunch, made some small talk about how the crop was doing, and returned to the fields. At dinnertime, he came in, cleaned up, and sat down for dinner. During dinner, Cecil and Lois talked of the mundane events of the day, but no mention was made of the anniversary.

After dinner, Cecil retired to his easy chair, and opened the day’s paper, as was his routine. At this point, Lois had had enough, stormed into the living room, and declared: “Cecil! Do you know what day this is?” Cecil replied: “Other than Thursday, no…” “Well, it’s our 30th wedding anniversary!” Lois shouted..

Cecil lowered his paper, pondered for a moment, and said: “Humm… Seems like 40, don’t it?” Snapped his paper open, and continued reading…..

Cecil and Lois have been gone for many years, but my DW and I always remember them fondly for this anecdote, and have said to each other, on the occasion of our anniversary, “seems like 40, don’t it” for many years.

Today, we celebrate our 40th anniversary, which makes this statement both full of meaning for us, and a bit of sadness. I guess we’ll have to start now with “seems like 50….”

A milestone passess...

What a great milestone! In the days of disposable everything - It is good to hear of someone with such a lasting commitment. DW & I are working on 34 years and counting...

Congratulations on the anniversary. Great story. I passed it on to DW.

Congratulations on the anniversary!

Next July will be 20 years for us. What happened? It sure doesn't seem that long.

I guess she'll expect dinner out and flowers or something. I read in a book that milestone dates like that are for some mysterious reason very important to women.

"The best way to always remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once." Author unknown.

So, Puzzley, I see in the paper that the ground is too wet to plant corn; maybe those folks should forget about ethanol and just build hundreds of nuclear power plants. Hmmm, I’m thinking about starting an indoor sprouting business in the old warehouse; been doing some research, seems the polls are running against brocco sprouts. Maybe I’ll try to make a go of mung bean sprouts. Pass the black eyed peas?

[May you two have many many more anniversaries of shared humor!]

In a couple weeks, it will be 42 years for us. Seems like only yesterday. (Certainly, not long enough.)

Lovely story.

I guess I'll never see a 40th anniversary but it sure nice to hear that people do...

Thanks to all of you for the congrats. DW and I spent the 40th quietly with a nice dinner. No cards, flowers, gifts, etc. Just being together for this long and still liking and loving each other was enough...

Just wanted to offer my congrats a little late. You sound like you have a great marriage. Hope you have many more years together.

Back
Top Bottom