A New Year and a New “Adventure”

Seven of the approximately 40 homes in the subdivision are for sale - four of those border the ranch/future quarry. Only one has sold.

I'm taking some consolation in the fact our property doesn't border the ranch. We are 0.6 mile from the quarry site and we're behind a ridge, which will dampen some of the noise. We'll be in much better shape than the six houses located on top of that ridge who will be in direct line of sight of the quarry - and only a few hundred yards away. But the real hurt will be for the folks living in a couple of houses on the other side of the ranch/quarry. Those two houses are on another ridge looking down on the quarry, less than 400 yards away.

It does sound like you will be in much better shape than those in houses right next to the quarry.

I hope that it turns out to be less of a problem than you expect. If it isn't, I wonder if it might not be worthwhile to sell and move on, like those 7 neighbors plan to do. Life is too short to put up with much aggravation if there is a way around it. Peace and quiet (and peace of mind) are worth a lot.

I hope that it turns out to be less of a problem than you expect. If it isn't, I wonder if it might not be worthwhile to sell and move on, like those 7 neighbors plan to do. Life is too short to put up with much aggravation if there is a way around it. Peace and quiet (and peace of mind) are worth a lot.
We have no current plans to move, but then the quarry hasn't been granted the necessary permits to operate yet - and we haven't experienced a blast, heard the constant roar of the generator, the incessant grinding of the crusher or the irritating "beep, beep, beep" of all the trucks and equipment when they are in reverse gear.

An added concern: although we are somewhat protected from noise by the ridge separating us from the quarry, the prevailing wind direction is from the South - and the quarry is southeast.

And to think I was once concerned about hearing loss...

Half a mile makes a big difference. We have lived near airports and air force bases here and there. The difference in decibels between us (.75mi off the landing path) and friends .3 miles closer was very noticeable. We were fortunate to have that distance. I think it's a logarithmic drop off.

We have no current plans to move, but then the quarry hasn't been granted the necessary permits to operate yet - and we haven't experienced a blast, heard the constant roar of the generator, the incessant grinding of the crusher or the irritating "beep, beep, beep" of all the trucks and equipment when they are in reverse gear.

An added concern: although we are somewhat protected from noise by the ridge separating us from the quarry, the prevailing wind direction is from the South - and the quarry is southeast.

And to think I was once concerned about hearing loss...
If the worst comes to pass, it is still possible that after a month or two you would acclimate to the noises and might not notice them so much. Or not! But it would be nice if that was the case.

If you do decide to move, remember that all you need is that one buyer who is willing to put up with the quarry in exchange for the experience of living in your beautiful home. (Yes, I remember a photo of it that you posted once.)

By the way, we are city dwellers and even so we never hear anything from either of our properties at all except for the Friday night fireworks after minor league baseball games (and I am used to that by now). I used to hear a neighbor's dog, but he died. Even the constant low-flying helicopters in Hurricane Katrina's aftermath have disappeared. You have my sympathies. To me, peace and quiet is the main reason to own a home in the first place.

Sorry for your backyard headache. Several years ago, I built a house in a new subdivision next to the golf club I belong to. Located a couple of miles just outside the city limits. After 5 years the subdivision developed nicely and property values rocketed. And the city took notice and decided they wanted to invite us in through annexation. I immediately put my house up for sale and got lucky. Sold it to a family moving from NY. The potential for higher property taxes didn't bother them as the new rates were still cheap compared to what they had been paying. But 7 years later, there are still lot's of houses for sale in my old subdivision. Not all because of city taxes as the economy has a lot to do with it now. Glad I got lucky.

I wouldn't be surprised to see those houses in your neighborhood just sit there. Bad time to be selling, unless they want to sell cheap. Hopefully the noise will not be a factor for you guys.

The silver lining here is that rock for your driveway should be cheap, eventually your grandkids will have a killer place for skinny dipping, and before an abandoned quarry fills with water it makes a wonderful place for shooting your large bore pistols and rifles.

I hope it works out OK for you in the meantime.

Ha

Sorry to hear about that Wahoo.

I have lived at the end of a major airport's runway and I was surprised how quickly I learned to ignore the noise from the airplanes passing overhead.

I now live near a military arsenal and they often test rocket engines. This results in frequent shockwaves shaking our windows and, on occasion, even shaking the entire house. We got used to that pretty quickly as well and barely notice anymore.

So maybe it won't be as bad as you might expect...

"I reckon it's time for a good ol' fashioned lynchin'."
smiley-char092.gif

....now I didn't come up with that...I'm sure it's been said in a movie...:angel:

I'm sorry it looks like the rock quarry will become a reality. Hopefully all your efforts have had some impact on how it will be built and operated.

A number of years ago I lived in Spokane in an apartment behind one of the hospitals and up the hill a bit from it. Well the first night I learned that damn life flight helicopter took off and came back at all times of the night. I thought I would go crazy or have to move. A couple weeks went by and I stopped waking up every time it took off or landed. It is really amazing what one can get used to.

Doesn't Texas have any endangered species? Maybe a rare and endangered scorpion or chigger? Wouldn't it be possible for you and some associates to "find" a rare black-footed ferret on the proposed site of all this blasting and heavy vehicular activity? That would bring the feds in, and you'd have nothing else to worry about. That whole quarry idea would go right out the window--they'd be lucky to even be able to keep operating a ranch.

Doesn't Texas have any endangered species? Maybe a rare and endangered scorpion or chigger? Wouldn't it be possible for you and some associates to "find" a rare black-footed ferret on the proposed site of all this blasting and heavy vehicular activity? That would bring the feds in, and you'd have nothing else to worry about. That whole quarry idea would go right out the window--they'd be lucky to even be able to keep operating a ranch.
We investigated this avenue of opposition. "Discoveries" as you describe are met with a great deal of skepticism unless you know the right people. We don't.

Naw, Texas would just need to add another hunting season... :LOL:

REW, what will REALLY happen when they start digging that quarry, is some little guys with electrolux vacuum cleaners will take offense. It must be real, I saw it on Superman.

Attachments

• molemen.jpg
    molemen.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 121
It sounds like it is out of sight, and although I expect 0.6 miles and a ridge will not keep out the sounds, it may not be that bad, and you will almost certainly get used to it.

In his final year at College our son rented an apartment just 20 yards from a rail crossing. We helped him move in and that first weekend sleeping there we were rocketed bolt upright in bed, heart pounding, every time a train came through. Towards the end of his degree he was struggling with clinical depression so DW went up to help him get to classes on time, do his assigned work and provide support. She said that within a week she wasn't waking up at all when those trains rolled through with their ear-splitting horns blaring. I went up for graduation weekend (6 weeks after her), and to move him out - I couldn't believe how she was sleeping through the noise!!

At least it should not be smelly. We've lived within 10 miles of a paper mill and when the wind was in the wrong direction the smell was awful, and we never got used to that, even after 15 years.

It sounds like it is out of sight, and although I expect 0.6 miles and a ridge will not keep out the sounds, it may not be that bad, and you will almost certainly get used to it.

In his final year at College our son rented an apartment just 20 yards from a rail crossing. We helped him move in and that first weekend sleeping there we were rocketed bolt upright in bed, heart pounding, every time a train came through. Towards the end of his degree he was struggling with clinical depression so DW went up to help him get to classes on time, do his assigned work and provide support. She said that within a week she wasn't waking up at all when those trains rolled through with their ear-splitting horns blaring. I went up for graduation weekend (6 weeks after her), and to move him out - I couldn't believe how she was sleeping through the noise!!

At least it should not be smelly. We've lived within 10 miles of a paper mill and when the wind was in the wrong direction the smell was awful, and we never got used to that, even after 15 years.

The paper mill experience sounds dreadful. Paper mills emit a particularly noxious odor, it seems to me.

The apartment that I rented for a couple of years before buying this house, was right next to the railroad tracks in River Ridge, Louisiana. I am sure it was as close to the tracks as was legally allowed - - perhaps 10 yards or less. The trains did not bother me at all. Of course, I would partially awaken but would then drift off happily to sleep before the train had completely passed. To me, the sound of trains passing by is soothing and peaceful and even their whistles don't bother me much. Guests were usually quite alarmed.

On the other hand, I am very sensitive to inconsiderate noise - - I have a hard time with noise from upstairs or next door neighbors, or any music at all that is not mine. I would imagine that for REWahoo, the sounds of the quarry would fall into this category.

Yeah, I hear you: stop complaining REW, it could be worse...:)

I went to college in a town 20 miles north of a paper mill. Winter weather in that part of the world was often damp and foggy - the fumes from the mill clung to the ground. Add in a slight wind from the south and the odor on campus was so strong it would literally burn the lining of your sinuses.

I went to college in a town 20 miles north of a paper mill. Winter weather in that part of the world was often damp and foggy - the fumes from the mill clung to the ground. Add in a slight wind from the south and the odor on campus was so strong it would literally burn the lining of your sinuses.

The IP mill in Navasota?

Ha

0.6 miles, you say? Hmmm...

REWahoo, have you ever considered the exciting hobby of Amateur Radio? Say, trying for long distance communications in the 15 meter (21 MHz) band with a 1500 watt transmitter and a nice directional antenna?

hamRadio2.jpg

Gosh, if you'd invested in this hobby and were an active participant in the amateur community before the quarry went into operation, well, golly...

http://www.nclabor.com/osha/etta/indguide/ig11.pdf

(See Table 2...)

It is a bummer, REW, and I understand how you feel. Sorry it's not turning out better yet.

Many of these things turn out to be not as bad as one expects. Of course, I said that to myself when that neighbor with the dogs moved in...

REWahoo, have you ever considered the exciting hobby of Amateur Radio? Say, trying for long distance communications in the 15 meter (21 MHz) band with a 1500 watt transmitter and a nice directional antenna?
Brilliant. For good measure, ensure that a pair of endangered egrets or spotted owls build a nest on your antenna (If Disney can do an animatronic Abe Lincoln, an animatronic mommy owl and owletts should be no trouble to whip up. Convincing at a distance). Icing on the cake--develop a record of community service with the HF rig, (establishing links to disaster sites, etc).

That crusher and those trucks are gonna cause a lot of dust, surely enough to aggravate any existing respiratory conditions. It would be good if the neighbors got any such health problems on record now, with letters to the quarry operators and any insurers who are on record as covering the place. Just so everyone can estimate what the cost of doing business might be.

hamRadio2.jpg

Gosh, if you'd invested in this hobby and were an active participant in the amateur community before the quarry went into operation, well, golly...

http://www.nclabor.com/osha/etta/indguide/ig11.pdf

(See Table 2...)

The term 'fortuitous' comes to mind.

One of my neighbors recently got his ham radio license. His property borders the ranch and is within a half mile of [-]ground zero[/-] the quarry site. I'm going to forward your information to him.

Thanks. :)

I'm extremely impressed.

Could that directional transmitter have a depression angle and a reflector to get it over the ridge down into the quarry?

Could that directional transmitter have a depression angle and a reflector to get it over the ridge down into the quarry?

Diffraction is our friend. With a nice high gain antenna, pointed at a ridge top, I'm confident the signal level on the other side of a ridge would be as high as, if not higher than what we could see from an omnidirectional antenna on a flat plain. 15 meters is a wavelength long enough to diffract fairly well over a 'rounded obstacle' like a ridge top.

Back
Top Bottom