A nice video on FIRE couple adjusting to this market

That is a good one. I like the emphasis on FI rather than RE, how it gives people options, etc. There was very little "present an 'extreme' story to get attention and eyeballs" going on. The couple was nicely "boring", just like most of us! :D

Markets, and losses, are a much, much different place today than back in April. If they did nothing, they would be well on their way to recovery, if not already recovered.

Will this Market hold? Who knows (I have my doubts), but we'll have to wait to see...

I find that in general, most of those preaching FIRE, and the way they go about it, are too heavily dependent on the stock market. It's an indication to me that folks are simply less productive (i.e. salary/income less relative to living expenses) and are gambling trying to excel via the stock market and make up the falling level of savings. Why has FIRE gathered such a following over the past several years? Well, obviously, we've had the longest bull market in history, at all-time highs just a few months ago. For those who went all in after 2009 and stuck to it, socking everything they could in to index funds, could be FIRE candidates.

As markets and investing have evolved over the years, too many folks are "investing" too much of their money in to the market and are not fully aware of the risks. Virtually none are prepared for a prolonged downturn, quite frankly, because they've never been alive to witness one and do not acknowledge the potential for one.

I find that in general, most of those preaching FIRE, and the way they go about it, are too heavily dependent on the stock market. It's an indication to me that folks are simply less productive (i.e. salary/income less relative to living expenses) and are gambling trying to excel via the stock market and make up the falling level of savings. Why has FIRE gathered such a following over the past several years? Well, obviously, we've had the longest bull market in history, at all-time highs just a few months ago. For those who went all in after 2009 and stuck to it, socking everything they could in to index funds, could be FIRE candidates.

As markets and investing have evolved over the years, too many folks are "investing" too much of their money in to the market and are not fully aware of the risks. Virtually none are prepared for a prolonged downturn, quite frankly, because they've never been alive to witness one and do not acknowledge the potential for one.

I agree.
There will be core few.
However I consider FIRE a fading f.a.d.
I'd cite MMM,... enough said.
Negative, real, interest rates should awaken folks should it continue.
(jmo)

I don't consider the market to be risky at all, as long as it is understood that market investments are a long-term deal. As long as you have SORR handled with spendable non-equity assets, then volatility is not risk. In fact for people in the accumulation phase buying on a DCA basis, volatility is desirable.

This couple is comfortable and that's good, but IMO their focus is more short-term than it needs to be. This too shall pass. Or at least that's what 100+ years of history would lead us to believe.

Thanks for posting this. The videos (all 6 of them in the series ) were excellent - and like someone said above, the focus on FI was refreshing.

So much of what I heard in the videos were things we did and attitudes we embraced.

Wait a minute. The numbers don’t quite add up to me. I think the couple is sincere but their story fits a pattern of hype we’ve seen from many extreme (very young) ER’s. They have IT backgrounds so that’s a significant fallback resource. He is in fact freelancing to earn income. I didn’t notice any statement of AA, but it could be 100%. Does 4% SWR work for a 30’s couple? I never considered the reduced SS benefit from retiring so early but most folks in this age range assume SS will be zero anyway.

Wait a minute. The numbers don’t quite add up to me. I think the couple is sincere but their story fits a pattern of hype we’ve seen from many extreme (very young) ER’s. They have IT backgrounds so that’s a significant fallback resource. He is in fact freelancing to earn income. I didn’t notice any statement of AA, but it could be 100%. Does 4% SWR work for a 30’s couple? I never considered the reduced SS benefit from retiring so early but most folks in this age range assume SS will be zero anyway.
Agree, he is non specific about spending, net worth at 40, healthcare, and Kelly his wife...still in the real estate business? He did not go into detail about what they're doing now. It's a nice story and I agree LBYM, but everyone on this forum preaches that strategy.

Back
Top Bottom