a painful unwinding of the FIRE movement

It's not that he feels that he has to spend that kind of money... He wants to. That's the lifestyle he wants to keep up, and more power to him [emoji4].

But is it an appropriate article for the audience he is speaking to? How many folks visiting Financial Samurai are in a similar situation, or anything even close? I'm guessing the number is quite low. Then, claiming FIRE doesn't work because he cannot make it work with his lifestyle. That's the reason for writing a hit piece on FIRE? Because he couldn't make it work on his multi-million dollar portfolio with his lifestyle in one of the most expensive cities in the country?

Hey, I just had an idea ... maybe we should get him together with Suze. Then they can reinforce each others beliefs.

Last edited:
Agree, I've always told my Mom that my ideal would be for her to figure out how to spend her very last penny with her very last breath i.e. not to hold back in any of her enjoyment over any desire to leave an inheritance.

While I kind of get the sentiment and would rather my parents spend their last dollar living life to the fullest to the very end, I really struggle with the idea. Personally, if I was cutting things that fine, I would be spending my last several years worrying about outliving my money + cutting back on lifestyle spending rather than living it up (as best I could in my final rest home). Also, I do love my daughters and would like to leave something for them.

And it’s hard to “blow that dough “ in the ICU.[emoji19]

Back
Top Bottom