A quick trip in the U.S. before kids go to college

beanctr88

Recycles dryer sheets
Our boy/girl twins have OMY before they head off to college. We have one beach trip planned and one week with relatives out of town. That leaves one more week that I'll be able to take vacation in the next year. We'd like to make it a memorable trip, probably in the states as going out of the country would take up too much of the time for travel.

What are some ideas you might suggest? Thanks to all of you in advance.

What time of year are you planning and have you already visited some spots in the US?

Since you've got the beach trip already, what about one of the national parks e.g Grand Canyon? Or somewhere near a large amusement park if they like roller coasters and such.

At that age I didn't particularly want to be dragged by my folks to some vacation spot they chose when I had important hanging out with my friends to do.

We've done New York City, many beaches, the mountains in North Carolina and Tennessee. Would a week be too long in Nashville and Chattanooga? What about San Francisco and/or Seattle for teenagers?

We've done New York City, many beaches, the mountains in North Carolina and Tennessee. Would a week be too long in Nashville and Chattanooga? What about San Francisco and/or Seattle for teenagers?

I think a whole week would be too long in Nashville and Chattanooga. San Francisco could easily occupy a whole week, as could Seattle. If you've never been to either of those places, I'd highly recommend San Francisco. So much to see and do in the city itself, with some amazing natural scenery, beaches, mountains, and national parks within easy driving distance. I also think SF would please your teenagers more than someplace like Nashville. Nothing against Nashville, of course, just that SF is much "hipper" and more vibrant and multicultural, etc.

What are they interested in? Is there a sporting event, festival, museum, or activity that could be incorporated as part of the trip that would be exciting for them? A place where they can have some time/activities independent from you would probably make them more amenable to the family activities. So good public transit would be a major plus.

I think if you are looking to create a special family experience at this milestone in their lives, you should involve them in deciding where to go.

Motor raft down the Grand Canyon....my high school boys loved the trip last year! Our trip included a family from the UK and another from Germany, each with teenagers.

San Francisco could easily occupy a whole week, as could Seattle. If you've never been to either of those places, I'd highly recommend San Francisco.

+1. We visited both places with our teenagers. Both were "cool" places they were happy to visit.

A Boston - Maine - Vermont - Montreal driving trip can be done in a week. Every day will be interesting and different from the one before. History, a Red Sox game, seashores, lobster shacks, LL Bean, mountains, a border crossing, stores where the clerk speaks little english...lots of good memories from that trip.

Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, all are relatively close to each other, you can easily see all 3 in a week.

Zion is very close to Vegas and it's a great park - Google for the Zion " narrows" which is something great to hike thru in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Unless a single destination is important, I might suggest a highway 101 trip from BC to BC (British Columbia to Baja California) or some segment of same. We did it in 8 days which is too fast to spend quality time in any one place. Still, we spent a full day in Seattle, SF and SD. Beautiful scenery if the kids (and adults) are into that. YMMV

If you want memorable, try this out.

Heli-Hiking

We did the one week lodge to lodge trip and I can't say enough about how great the trip was. A little expensive but was well worth it.

Route 66, can be done in less than a week but you may want longer. Our last family 'road trip' when DS was in 1st year of college. Memorable, things just come up to see and do. Maybe they can even drive stretches of it like thru Oatman AZ. They will always be able to tell friends they drove Route 66. A couple years older and its a different trip but now they are young enough to still share the experience with you.

Prepare a list of your ideas and ask them to pick one.

The more we think about it, the more we realize that since the trip is for them, we really do need to let them pick where they want to go. It is probably different than where my wife and I would choose, but we can do that on our own.

Back
Top Bottom