A Whole New Chapter in Audrey's Great RV Adventure

Wow, what an interesting concept. Looks beautiful! I love how the "front door" opens out onto the courtyard. Congratulations!

I browsed around the site and I'm wondering about those bungalow coach houses. I see a living area/bedroom and small kitchen. Is there a bathroom? Or is the idea that you still do most of the living out of the motorhome. Must have utility hookups.

Nevermind, I searched and it seems you can build it out any way you'd like. Here's a photo album showing how one couple finished theirs with a living area, bathroom and utility area, but no kitchen -

http://picasaweb.google.com/wb4pdo/FinishingInsideOfCoachHouseOct2007#

My neighbor used to have one of large RV motorhomes but she sold it after her husband died. It took up her entire driveway for most of the year. They loved it and used it often.

Wow Wahoo, I didn't know about MapMuse. Handy!
It is neat although I do have a couple of issues with it. First, it does not show every RV park in the area. I estimate it captures only 75-80%. Second, the location shown for the park is often not very accurate. You need to go to some other source to confirm.

Wow, what an interesting concept. Looks beautiful! I love how the "front door" opens out onto the courtyard. Congratulations!

I browsed around the site and I'm wondering about those bungalow coach houses. I see a living area/bedroom and small kitchen. Is there a bathroom? Or is the idea that you still do most of the living out of the motorhome. Must have utility hookups.

Nevermind, I searched and it seems you can build it out any way you'd like. Here's a photo album showing how one couple finished theirs with a living area, bathroom and utility area, but no kitchen -

Picasa Web Albums - Mike and Pat - Finishing Ins...

My neighbor used to have one of large RV motorhomes but she sold it after her husband died. It took up her entire driveway for most of the year. They loved it and used it often.
Looks like you got most of your questions answered, but yes, I believe the full bathroom is standard in those coach houses and they are wired for all the living amenities like laundry and kitchen. I think most folks have kitchen, bath and laundry. Whether you have a sleeping area or living area or both (like with a murphy bed) it's up to you.

Apparently folks have gone nuts with all their interior design. With a small place to outfit, you can do some extravagant stuff without breaking the bank. They have an open house once a year so that everyone can see what each other has done.

Audrey

Do they show smaller model homes for people with a class C or a class B, like the RV that I am going to buy? :confused:

Never mind. I am going to build one for myself from a Tumbleweed house blue print.

Do they show smaller model homes for people with a class C or a class B, like the RV that I am going to buy? :confused:

Never mind. I am going to build one for myself from a Tumbleweed house blue print.
rv_site_for_web_003.jpg

I think these coach houses would be ideal for a smaller rig such as a Class C or Class B as it would give you a bit more living area, and you end up with a lot of driveway! But it might not be enough "house" - it is pretty small if you were looking for more of a house.

I don't remember whether there were any RV restrictions in terms of size on these "coach lots".

Audrey

I think these coach houses would be ideal for a smaller rig such as a Class C or Class B as it would give you a bit more living area...

I don't remember whether there were any RV restrictions in terms of size on these "coach lots".

I was joking. :)

Actually, only half-joking as I think the trend in the US will be towards smaller houses in the future. Out with McMansions. In with smaller houses.

Hence, I have an image in my mind of a class B parked by a Tumbleweed house. The little house would have tripled the total living space. It would be so cute!

Now, I need a Smart car behind my class B and the setup is complete. Wait! I already have a little Honda scooter (an 81 Passport), mentioned elsewhere in this forum. :D

The little coach houses/efficiency bungalows that Dawg and Buns link to are priced lower. These are basic squares that can be finished off to include a bathroom/laundry with a kitchenette. IIRC, unfinished those start at about $45,000. What Audrey is buying is one of the small houses, with the nice courtyard, covered rv area, and a two bedroom home. I believe those are the ones that start at the price you mentioned.

Last edited:
Here are pictures of the inside of the Bungalow homes. The only thing that I find slightly troubling is the pricing. The site quotes $149k to start. Are they talking about the bungalows or the regular houses?
That $149K is for the one-bedroom finished house with attached 50 foot covered RV port on a much larger lot.

The smaller bungalow house (Phase 1) as shown in the photo above - 12'x20' house plus site is $45K. The page you mentioned refers to these as "RV Sites" rather than homes. Retama Community - Bentsen Palm

Audrey

That $149K is for the one-bedroom finished house with attached 50 foot covered RV port on a much larger lot.

The smaller bungalow house (Phase 1) as shown in the photo above - 12'x20' house plus site is $45K. The page you mentioned refers to these as "RV Sites" rather than homes. Retama Community - Bentsen Palm

Audrey

Well that's not too bad then. The 12'x20' house is all a single guy needs, along with the RV.

Well that's not too bad then. The 12'x20' house is all a single guy needs, along with the RV.
Yep - sounds like plenty for one! And lots of neighbors to introduce you to other singles.

Audrey

The 12'x20' house is all a single guy needs, along with the RV.

Eh? Being greedy there, aren't you? That's for a couple. A single guy should be happy with just one, so take your pick! :D

Seriously, I see the allure of living simply, but for me to practice it would require a very drastic reform. While my wife has lots of knick knack, I have my books, old electronics stuff (past defunct business as well as from life long hobby), tools for car repair as well as to be "handymanly". While we can put our boonies home on the market as it is, our main home where we have lived 23 years would require major efforts to clean up.

My living space can be small, but I would need a large storage space. I have seen pictures of a barn to store a class A along with other stuff, with a small apartment in the back. My wife wouldn't want to give up our conventional homes though. Heck, I am still selling her on the idea of an RV, hence would not push it by mentioning these non-mainstream housing arrangements to her. :)

Heck, I am still selling her on the idea of an RV, hence would not push it by mentioning these non-mainstream housing arrangements to her. :)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yep - us "weirdos" and our non-mainstream housing!

:D

Audrey

A non-conformist in other aspects, I applaud people who pursue happiness their own way. It's a wonderful world.

Eh? Being greedy there, aren't you? That's for a couple. A single guy should be happy with just one, so take your pick! :D

Seriously, I see the allure of living simply, but for me to practice it would require a very drastic reform. While my wife has lots of knick knack, I have my books, old electronics stuff (past defunct business as well as from life long hobby), tools for car repair as well as to be "handymanly". While we can put our boonies home on the market as it is, our main home where we have lived 23 years would require major efforts to clean up.

My living space can be small, but I would need a large storage space. I have seen pictures of a barn to store a class A along with other stuff, with a small apartment in the back. My wife wouldn't want to give up our conventional homes though. Heck, I am still selling her on the idea of an RV, hence would not push it by mentioning these non-mainstream housing arrangements to her. :)

Oh my.... your situation sounds just like mine, and it doesn't require being married!

On my own, I have a city place I have lived in for 20 years and would be a major effort to clean up and clean out, and I have a place in the boonies that I could sell as is. And I lust after having a small RV to see the world in, with my best friend, my four year old German shepherd.

I am doing everything "responsibly" -- happily cut back spending in the down market and found ways to make money available for a class B conversion van, a Sportsmobile.

But what in the world is one girl doing with a city house, a country house, a reliable Honda, and lusting after an RV? So I fight with myself, carry on mental conversations, play the numbers out and calculate it over and over, and what if I rent out this place or that place, so it doesn't sit empty? how about just sticking a tent in the trunk of my Honda ....

It's a happy problem to have, I know. But geesh, it should be easier.

Oh my.... your situation sounds just like mine, and it doesn't require being married!

But what in the world is one girl doing with a city house, a country house, a reliable Honda, and lusting after an RV? So I fight with myself, carry on mental conversations, play the numbers out and calculate it over and over, and what if I rent out this place or that place, so it doesn't sit empty? how about just sticking a tent in the trunk of my Honda ....

It's a happy problem to have, I know. But geesh, it should be easier.

Wow! I wonder how you manage that just by yourself. If alone, I would not have two houses.

I occasionally fantasize about being a world traveler with my wife, two carry-ons each with a small Netbook to check on the Web on where to go next, and also to check on my brokerage accounts, which should just go up and up :cool: However, I know that our nature is to keep "stuff". We can minimize it, but we will always have "stuff".

On travels longer than 3 weeks, we would miss home. Hence, a class B or class C would be alright for us to travel for a couple of months at a time. That's the theory anyway, and I do not know if it would work out. Hence I have been reluctant to get one that's too expensive in case it does not work out. Being frugal, I hate to take a big loss, knowing how fast these RV's depreciate. I am still shopping around, because we are not in the position to take off right now.

In your case, if you have the freedom to go, then why not? It appears that financial is not the real problem with you, same as with us. We only live once. If we outgrow it and the wanderlust went away after a few years, no big deal. We would be able to say "been there, done that" later and not have to wonder what could have been.

Had I known, I would have spent some extra money to have a larger and taller garage at my boonies place to accept at least a class B. I am entertaining the idea of building a carport for my future RV up in the boonies home. I even think how I could run a drain line from that parking spot to the septic tank. It's not to use the RV there as my boonies home has plenty of space, but for the convenience of cleaning out the RV after a trip.

Heh heh heh... Life is an adventure, and there are a few things that I still like to try.

In your case, if you have the freedom to go, then why not? It appears that financial is not the real problem with you, same as with us. We only live once. If we outgrow it and the wanderlust went away after a few years, no big deal. We would be able to say "been there, done that" later and not have to wonder what could have been.

The temporary answer I am coming to is a tent in the trunk of my Honda, and my dog up in the other front seat, and taking off for the state parks in Maine this summer .... and daydreaming about life in a van, perhaps meeting people who are using theirs.

I don't have any doubt I'd enjoy it -- grew up with parents who piled us all in the station wagon every school break and hit the road for the West and South -- but, like you, I am aware of the depreciation issues. I can't see renting one, though, with a dog. I expect to look for a reliable used one for '11, sooner if life happens that way.

We'll see!

It only depreciates when it sits in a lot unused.

That was what I was afraid of. I don't want my wife, who is still reluctant about this, later tells me that the money could have been spent on more European trips, something that's tried and true for us.

On the other hand, I have seen seasoned RV'ers having no problem buying new ones. They get their money's worth, I am sure.

I can see how it's shaping up, being retired. My full time job will be organizing and scheduling my life, when I'm where, what maintenance needs to be done, can my dog come, what to do with everything when I head to Asia or South America....

Back
Top Bottom