About "free" - Internet Programs

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
My imagination? .... or a major change?

Mostly in the past 6 months, but seems like a seachange in acessing what used to be "free" in the internet.

In cleaning up my computer for unused programs, I looked back to see why I had installed the "free" ones in the first place. Purely out of curiosity, where an "update" link was available, I went back to the sources.

While some were still "free", almost all invited me to upgrade to the "PRO" version, which in almost every case, was very little more than the original.

Many of the newer downloads have been a work in progress, as in the change to paid versions of newspapers like the New York Times. Others, not so obvious.

Utilities that were always free and without ads, are now, either loaded with advertising, or... up front... admit that the site has ads, but that you can avoid them by getting the "advanced version".

Part and parcel of this, is the change that the "geek" websites have made... (those websites that rate and offer downloads of programs). In not so subtle ways, they offer a myriad of "download possibilities" which inevitably means they have a "specialized installer"... their own program that overtly or covertly tries to install web pages or home pages, anti virus, or "PC fixit" type programs... and............
My most angrifyiing sneak.... installing "conduit A".... a leech that will drive you to distraction.

So, to end this...
#1. How did those 'Free" programs ever get there in the first place?
#2. Will we eventually have to pay for ALL programs?

... or maybe no one noticed... :LOL:

After 20+ years of Windows and all the useless free programs and utilities I have used, I am migrating to Linux and the open source code. I find that at my age (almost as high as yours), I need less and less complexity and fancy programs. No more will I need MS Office Suite and PowerPoint, etc, or even Quicken. We are turning into an internet society and everything I need to use can be found there or with Linux open source apps.

Actually, the Chromebook machine we bought for our daughter is really all we need anymore as I can do most anything on it using Google Docs, Drive, Gmail, etc.

Amazon.com : Acer C720 Chromebook (11.6-Inch, 2GB & 32GB SSD) : Computers & Accessories

My imagination? .... or a major change?

Mostly in the past 6 months, but seems like a seachange in acessing what used to be "free" in the internet.

In cleaning up my computer for unused programs, I looked back to see why I had installed the "free" ones in the first place. Purely out of curiosity, where an "update" link was available, I went back to the sources.

While some were still "free", almost all invited me to upgrade to the "PRO" version, which in almost every case, was very little more than the original.

Many of the newer downloads have been a work in progress, as in the change to paid versions of newspapers like the New York Times. Others, not so obvious.

Utilities that were always free and without ads, are now, either loaded with advertising, or... up front... admit that the site has ads, but that you can avoid them by getting the "advanced version".

Part and parcel of this, is the change that the "geek" websites have made... (those websites that rate and offer downloads of programs). In not so subtle ways, they offer a myriad of "download possibilities" which inevitably means they have a "specialized installer"... their own program that overtly or covertly tries to install web pages or home pages, anti virus, or "PC fixit" type programs... and............
My most angrifyiing sneak.... installing "conduit A".... a leech that will drive you to distraction.

So, to end this...
#1. How did those 'Free" programs ever get there in the first place?
#2. Will we eventually have to pay for ALL programs?

... or maybe no one noticed... :LOL:

I thought they always had ads!

Everybody is trying to make a buck somehow. When these particular programs eventually all require payment, some enterprising young software developer will come up with a new program and provide it free.... for a few years. It's the way of the world, I suppose.

There used to be a lot of freeware/shareware sites but now many of them make you use their "downloader" software which install other crapware. I quit using Cnet because of this. Some sites are still good like majorgeeks.com. I have always been a linux/opensource user, sourceforge.net is a good repository for opensource projects.

A lot of the apps are still free for home users but costs for commercial/pro version. If you don't need the advanced features you should be ok. But some of them do have annoying upgrade push when using the product.

The sites all make money with those addons. Never click any big green download arrows and always read the links carefully. You will eventually find a plain download link but even then you need to uncheck the optional addon toolbars and the like that will come with the standard download. If you find that the best you can find is a like to a different download site take all the same precautions at that site. Despite all this you will occasionally screw up.

I think everyone is trying to monetize their sites. I have no problem with paying a nominal amount like we do on smartphones. I guess the only essential ones are a PDF printer and photo editing enhancements. I have the same smart text editor that I paid for on Win3.

Back
Top Bottom