About to cut the cord... kinda

2017wasthe year

Dryer sheet wannabe
Long-time lurker, first day of posting! I told my employer in April that I would be retiring at the end of the year (2017) if they would still pay my bonus in March (technically you still have to be an employee to receive it). Otherwise I would work Jan and Feb 2018. But after seeing how much work I was leaving for the person moving into my position, I offered to work 20 hours/week (minimum to get full benefits) remotely to ease the transition. They went for it! We put an end date of Sept. 2018 for the arrangement so I will definitely be fully retired by then. This mainly gives me time to explore my health insurance options -- the biggest unknown as I think most of you would agree. I have no pension, just my savings from banking my bonus every year and not allowing lifestyle creep when I received salary bumps. I'm happy that I lived well below my means but sorry I didn't start saving until I was 34. I am now an evangelist about that to every young person I talk to! (I am 57).

Sounds like a plan. You will have a lot of time to prepare and settle in to retirement. I had to give a year notice before my end date and it actually was a good thing for me to just get ready for a new life. I can tell you that the last month was very hard for me to stay but I did.

Back
Top Bottom