ACA / Early Retirement / How is it working for you?

What's the difference? The same amount comes out of your bank ~ the 10th either way. Or am I misunderstanding you?

I prefer auto-pay only because if for some reason the premium doesn't get taken when it should its their fault and responsibility and not mine. I just need to make sure there is enough in the account (which is not a problem).

It is the 10th either way. But in my mind, the thing should be paid by the first since the premium is for the current month. Just one of those things that bugs me!

I was planning to buy insurance on the exchange in March of 2015 as I will have employer coverage until then. I live in MA and our state had a well run website since 2006 when health insurance became mandatory but ever since the conversion to Obamacare the website site has been dysfunctional and the state today fired CGI the same company that designed the federal site. The officials will be asking the federal government for an extension until next fall's enrollment which will cut it close for my needs.

At least I'll have the COBRA option if it's not fully functional by then.

just curious - did anyone with an employer-sponsored retiree medical plan jump ship to an exchange plan?

I qualify for Medicaid under the ACA Medicaid expansion (no asset test - only income requirements). Didn't even need to sign up, as I was transferred automatically to Medi-Cal from the existing low income healthcare plan that my California county operates.

I have made a doctor visit, had a blood test, and an ultrasound with this new coverage and so far, so good. Co-pays are zero, so no out of pocket cost at all (no premiums either). Naturally, I would rather have higher income and pay for my own healthcare but life under Medicaid has been painless so far.

I am assuming most of the "savings" people experience is based on receiving a subsidy. My available bronze ACA plan for me and DW ($975/mo) is cheaper than the old Texas High Risk Pool ($1250/mo) and more expensive than my company's COBRA ($950/mo). The bronze plan had slightly lower dedcutibles than the Tx Pool but not anywhere near my COBRA option. We had earlier threads about the abundance of millionaires on this forum that can control income to get the subsidy. I'm sure that's one of the many unintended consequences of the ACA but I hope to take advantage of it soon myself (if it still exists in a year or two).

Last edited:
just curious - did anyone with an employer-sponsored retiree medical plan jump ship to an exchange plan?

I've looked into it but have run into these issues:

- "Income" pushes us into Medicaid.

- Our son who is 20 yrs old, living with us, has a pt job (made $11,000 last year) and is taking a break from college does not qualify as a dependent so he would have to get a separate plan in the exchange and probably would be pushed to Medicaid.

Looks like we'll keep my retiree plan until the 2015 exchange enrollment. The retiree plan is quite expensive compared to the exchange plans - especially when subsidies are included.

Interesting. I didn't know you could get an "estimate" without applying. I just went to the site and browsed the prices. Pretty much in line with what we are currently paying. My local government employer allowed us to keep coverage but I have to pay full freight, which for the two of us is ~$1,100 a month. Looks about the same as the silver plans for us here. I've always assumed that continuing the former employer's plan was as good as I could get; ~3,000 employees on the plan and while it is run by United Healthcare, it's self insured by the city.

I'm ASSUMING our healthcare costs will go down when we hit 65 and Medicare. Never thought I'd see an advantage in getting older!

I am assuming most of the "savings" people experience is based on receiving a subsidy. My available bronze ACA plan for me and DW ($975/mo) is cheaper than the old Texas High Risk Pool ($1250/mo) and more expensive than my company's COBRA ($950/mo). The bronze plan had slightly lower dedcutibles than the Tx Pool but not anywhere near my COBRA option. We had earlier threads about the abundance of millionaires on this forum that can control income to get the subsidy. I'm sure that's one of the many unintended consequences of the ACA but I hope to take advantage of it soon myself (if it still exists in a year or two).

No, we are a long way from qualifying for a subsidy (that's a very good thing!) and are saving $5K per year in premiums at the expense of an OOP that is $5K higher. My perfectly healthy and completely unsubsidized BIL saves because he no longer has to pay for the "high risk pool" insurance.

Golfnut: you are not required to take Medicaid, if you don't want to. However a subsidized, private plan will cost you more. Here's the explanation from the Kaiser Family Foundation:
How Poor Might Qualify For Obamacare Subsidies In States That Don't Expand Medicaid - WebMD

Back
Top Bottom