ACA Federal Marketplace updates

A "major" car accident might be $10,000 in repairs. Also, for a smaller fender bender, the uninsured can simply drive around with the damage and live with it. And I don't think too many of the uninsured are driving around town in brand new $70,000 luxury vehicles, so it wouldn't take much for a big accident to make them simply scrap the vehicle.

Compare that to even a "minor" healthcare service that can easily be several thousand dollars (even at the insurance negotiated rate). Major? don't even bother estimating. And you can't really just "scrap" your body and get a new one, or "just live with" an appendix that needs to come out and is ready to burst, or an infection that needs to be treated.

It's a lot easier to go without car insurance than health insurance because of the potential dollars involved in the event you need the insurance. Plus, while there can be ways to drive responsibly and avoid many accidents, it can be more difficult for healthcare, as the human body is unbelievably complex and still well beyond our grasp of what effects what, and your body can be susceptible to so many factors beyond your control and knowledge (genetics, tiny bacteria/virus you can't see, the effect of mixing different chemicals in your body that it has stored over the years that no one knows the effects of, etc.) Also, ultimately, we ALL will have some healthcare issue which ultimately puts us 6 ft under. Many of us will have various health issues long before that point, so in some ways, it's guaranteed to come at some point.

So your point is there's more motivation to get health care than auto insurance? I agree.

FYI- the last driver that rear ended me, couple of thousand in car damage. Over 15k in my medical bills, this was just med bills, not lost wages, or attorneys fees.

Course if I actually had to have C-spine surgery, that number could have been 10x, or more.

MRG

Car insurance analogy does not apply here. There are many big city (NYC, Chicago, etc) residents who only use public transportation & taxis. Many do not own cars- or even bother to have a driver's license.
OTOH- Health insurance is relevant to all. (Unless you're a zombie :D)

I'm Just Browsing

"I'm Just Browsing" ... the three best words when shopping :)

I got a letter from BCBS regarding my current private plan. The letter said pretty much, if I like my current plan, then do nothing, and the plan will continue. But feel free to browse and switch to another plan (of course BCBS pointed me to their plans).

Looks like the wheel are turning.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but it sounds fishy that it would increase so dramatically in the middle of the year. I would be skeptical.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this tid-bit but:

Mom (age 84) went to pick up her prescription yesterday at CVS. For the past 9 years her Medicare cost was $50. Yesterday she was told it was now $116.

She pushed back, talked to the manager and was told that it's part of the new ACA's Medicare "adjustments"/cuts (or something along those lines). Is it possible that these changes are already taking place?

Meanwhile, DW's multinational Megacorp announced a new HC provider plan for 2014, cancelling our old BCBS. Guess what? Yep, my Dr of 15 years doesn't accept them.

It doesn't sound fishy to me since with the advent of ACA my co-pays from my insurance company have doubled when my policy was renewed in August. The explanation was the same, and I get no subsidy or cost sharing. The insurance company seems like they are front loading as much as they can (Go you my eye). Unintended consequences.

Health Insurance 101

It doesn't sound fishy to me since with the advent of ACA my co-pays from my insurance company have doubled when my policy was renewed in August. The explanation was the same, and I get no subsidy or cost sharing. The insurance company seems like they are front loading as much as they can (Go you my eye). Unintended consequences.

Health Insurance 101

Based on personal experience, having co-pays double from one year to the next happened long before ACA was even a gleam in President Obama's eye.

Interesting WSJ article on the implementation problems.

Health Law Hits Late Snags as Rollout Approaches

"This is very much coming together in real-time," said Lisa Hamler-Fugitt, executive director of the Ohio Association of Foodbanks, a nonprofit that has received a federal grant to become a so-called navigator, helping Americans enroll in exchanges.
Her group had hoped to hire 30 to 40 so-called navigators by Oct. 1, and she said it was "far" from that goal.

Government officials and contractors have defused many technical problems but issues remain.
The exchange software that determines whether people get the subsidies was returning accurate determinations about two-thirds of the time late Friday, up from less than 50% earlier in the week, one person familiar with the development said....

Health and Human Services awarded grants to navigators and is certifying others, such as social workers at community clinics, to help people enroll.
But, the online certification programs were crashing because too many people were attempting to access them at the same time, according to insurance agents and navigators.
Government officials say they were continuing to certify navigators.
New hires at the Greater Phoenix Urban League Inc., a navigator, have been unable to access the training modules during working hours, when traffic is high, said David Aguirre, who is coordinating the nonprofit's enrollment push. The problems improved over the weekend, he said.

Now that is shock new software programs has bugs and website have load problems. I know the expression close enough for government work, but I think 30% error rate on something important like subsidies is unacceptable.

Might agree but my co-pays had not increased in five years...coincidence, I don't think so.

In my experience, the longer you've gone without a co-pay increase, the more likely it is that you'll see one. We've had our co-pays increased three times, that I recall, 2002, 2010 and 2012, IIRC.

To provide some basis for what Bronze, Silver etc mean. The basis is that the average person on the federal employees health plan spend 4654 last year. So the 60,70... are percentages of that amount. It took some digging on the web, but I do think the number should be more exposed.

To provide some basis for what Bronze, Silver etc mean. The basis is that the average person on the federal employees health plan spend 4654 last year. So the 60,70... are percentages of that amount. It took some digging on the web, but I do think the number should be more exposed.

Really the average person? Our whole family spends less than that most years, not including premiums. Interesting, though. Thanks for posting.

Really the average person? Our whole family spends less than that most years, not including premiums. Interesting, though. Thanks for posting.

The way I understood the post, it was not the average person, but the average amount federal employees are charged under the FEHB. and somewhere in the back of my brain I seem to remember hearing that before, like when the bill was still in Congress.

Tried to log on the Marketplace via Healthcare.gov but no luck. Keep getting a "please wait" message :(
Still trying to find info on actual provider networks under Plans in my area. VERY disturbing article this AM in local paper that largest carrier (BCBS affiliate) will only include 1 of the area's 4 major 4 hospital/health systems. If that carrier maintains approx its current local HI market share (50+% of indiv market), its network has apparently inadequate capacity to service the many 1,000's (10,000's?) of newly insured its the ACA region for 2014.
Having said that, I've seen these network-vs-provider issues in past & usu networks end up expanding to meet capacity. I truly hope this pattern continues in ACA era.

Tried to log on the Marketplace via Healthcare.gov but no luck. Keep getting a "please wait" message :( .

Me too. Don't worry any IT project this size, outages are the norm. Give it some time.

I feel bad for the folks that did all the long hours to get the thing ready. They will be working 24x7 for some time.

MRG

Tried to log on the Marketplace via Healthcare.gov but no luck. Keep getting a "please wait" message :( .

The federal healthcare.gov site, and several state exchanges are pretty swamped with both interested or curious folks, and a distributed denial of service (DDOS) attack some script kiddies are running. This stuff started up around 1 AM EDT this morning. It could take several more hours to a day or so to get the filtering tuned to block the particular attacks being used while letting us real humans through. DDOS attacks are really common when something interesting appears on the web. My former employer had a fairly large team that just dealt with this junk when a new product or update appeared on our web servers.

It's not a vast conspiracy thing. Picture a couple of bored 15 year olds with access to tens of thousands of 'botnet' infected PCs. "Hey, Beavis, this will, like, totally mess with the old people. Huh Huhuhuh..."

It's not a vast conspiracy thing. Picture a couple of bored 15 year olds with access to tens of thousands of 'botnet' infected PCs. "Hey, Beavis, this will, like, totally mess with the old people. Huh Huhuhuh..."

Looks like you may be right. Is the system (with all that sensitive individual financial info) is so bad that after 3+ yrs of preparation the Gov't still can't keep Beavis & Butthead from disrupting HI sign-up process for millions of uninsured Americans? :facepalm:

Love the comedic analogy. This is the same HHS that just yesterday e-mailed me (again!!!) reminding about using the Marketplace.
"Tomorrow you can go to HealthCare.gov and see all the health coverage options available to you in the Marketplace. You’ll be able to compare plans side-by-side and check out costs and benefits." No advice to wait a bit to avoid overtaxing the system, but encouragement to log on & get started now.
Reality is I haven't been able to log on to Marketplace site all day despite mult attempts since this AM. Wonder how many thousands (millions?) of other "old people" have been, like, totally "messed with"?
"Huh...huh, huh,huh"

Last edited:
So you're sayin' the system (which contains much sensitive individual financial info) is so bad that after 3+ yrs of preparation the Gov't still can't keep Beavis & Butthead from disrupting HI for millions of Americans? :facepalm:

Point B&B to any other site, same thing happens. Technically speaking I wouldn't cosider that down, just unavailable.

Make you feel better-:)

MRG

So you're sayin' the system (which contains much sensitive individual financial info) is so bad that after 3+ yrs of preparation the Gov't still can't keep Beavis & Butthead from disrupting HI for millions of Americans? :facepalm:

Nope. All websites are subject to this, IRS, CIA, NASDAQ, your banks, your Docs office, hospital, yahoo, anything you can access from the internet.

Make we wonder how many folks have the Healthcare.gov website open, just idling and taking up usage. :LOL:

I don't mean that folks are purposely trying to cause disruptions, but folks like to idle and chat away.

The Distributed Denial Of Service (DDOS) attacks are are a real pain in the @ss for just about every major web site in the world. The attacks are basically just producing traffic jams. Everybody likes really broken car analogies... So this gang of bored kid gets an unlimited supply of junk cars, and starts driving them. They've preplanned to abandon the cars on or around a certain off-ramp. Then they go get more cars...

http://www.networkworld.com/news/tech/2013/091713-defending-against-ddos-273919.html

They take a lot of time to deal with. The thing is, the attacks are designed to look just like a real visitor to your web site. One that's a bit dim, and maybe has a dozen browser windows open at the same time, and keeps clicking on <Refresh>.... Defenses involve hardware, really pricy hardware, between the web server and the Internet.

Typically, a deep packet inspection filter looks at every incoming packet noting the 'state' that packet represents and the sending Internet address, and compares that against recent activity from the same address. If it sees an inappropriate 'state' ("SYNCronize? But I haven't sent you anything yet!") or lots and lots of repeated requests ("Send you the page? Again? You just asked for that 30 milliseconds ago!") it can mark that address as being naughty and ignore packets from there for a while.

The hottest new techniques involve cloud based filtering, where many of these deep packet inspection filters share information on IP addresses that show botnet-like behavior and try to block them in advance. That sort of works OK for right now. I don't believe the federal government is legally permitted to use this sort of service just yet, so they have to rely on running their own filtering service.

My former employer had a team of people working just to handle this junk, which seemed to spike every time we were in the news or releasing a new product. Bored script kiddies...

Last edited:
My DS. (he's only 25 though)

In part because I am encouraging him to buy health insurance. It is really as much for my protection as his in that if he had a critical illness and a big hospital bill that I would ultimately ante up rather than have him go without the care he needs. Between you and me, because I have the means, I would pay for his health insurance if it came to that for my own protection (but don't tell him that).

I never thought about this one, but just so I don't lose my cold-hearted image, I'm going to tell my kids that if they decide to spend the extra $100 chasing tail instead of buying HI, I'll only help them with procedures to stabilize them enough to get them on a plane to Panama. Once there, I could afford to self insure (but don't tell them that) :LOL:

The Distributed Denial Of Service (DDOS) attacks are are a real pain in the @ss for just about every major web site in the world. The attacks are basically just producing traffic jams. Everybody likes really broken car analogies... So this gang of bored kid gets an unlimited supply of junk cars, and starts driving them. They've preplanned to abandon the cars on or around a certain off-ramp. Then they go get more cars...

http://www.networkworld.com/news/tech/2013/091713-defending-against-ddos-273919.html

My former employer had a team of people working just to handle this junk, which seemed to spike every time we were in the news or releasing a new product. Bored script kiddies...

Thank you, nice reference. Agree with all your points. I've never had to deal with DDOS attacks directly, only DOS. These were typically caused by 'data security' doing penetration testing during core hours. Still a PIA to figure out.

I feel bad for the folks that 'are here till this is fixed'. That what I left behind, glad I was able to ER.

MRG

While I don't pretend to understand all the nuances, of course DDOS attacks are well known. But there are some things sites can do to help protect themselves.
https://www.networkworld.com/news/tech/2013/091713-defending-against-ddos-273919.html

From what I understand, most issues with the Marketplace today were due to real volume rather than DDOS attack (or other hacks). Some have alleged fed Exchange system had no serious defense in place to address possible DDOS attack. I'm sure we'll see more written about this in the coming days/weeks.

In my case, I did eventually get past 'wait' screen this PM & made it to log-in. Unfortunately, it did not recognize my user ID nor PW. Will try again tomorrow- or next week.

... Will try again tomorrow- or next week.

A wise choice. Within a short time the lookie-lous will have found something shiny and new to attract their attention, and the federal I.T. folks will have their filters in place and load balancing working better.

It looks like there was some real traffic. 2.8 million unique visitors by 6 PM EDT. I recall that they expected to sell policies for some 7 million people over the next six months. Trying to do 40% of that business on the first day was probably a bit much. The local explainers/helpers who would set up policies face to face (no Intertubes needed) had no customers all morning. Quiet...

No rush. I have a pretty good idea of the prices, and subsidy eligibility for my family (none...). I'll probably sign up in November. They're not going to run out of insurance policies. Really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom