Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine

Next time we go, I'm renting a bike for the entire trip and hitting the carriage trails for a couple of hours each day. Great way to explore the island.

There are some outstanding hikes, although some a fairly challenging (Precipice, Beehive). I remember really enjoying the Gorham Mountain trail on one of our trips.

We had one trip where we left Acadia and drove over to Stonington, which we loved. Rented kayaks and bounced from tiny island to tiny island one day

You are welcome. You may already know that the best time for "leaf peeping" is short and tricky to get right. A retiree has free time, so can take a road trip at the most opportune moment. As mentioned, we have done 3 such trips over the years, and I recall each with fondness.

About Bar Harbor, the last time we visited in 2014 I could not recognize it. So much had changed, and while Bar Harbor was always crowded, it was even more so. We wandered around and it felt like an entirely new place.

Because I pride myself in remembering places that I have been to, it bothered the heck out of me. So, after the trip I went on Google Map trying to find out about the old places in Bar Harbor that I missed. It turned out that Main St was always there, but West St was completely rebuilt with new businesses and buildings. Google Map Street View caught the construction on West St in 2011, and by 2014 when I visited everything was finished and in place. Also, the dock/terminal where cruise passengers arrived was completely new and was not there in my previous visits. People who visited Bar Harbor years ago will feel like Rip van Winkle and not recognize anything.

Just now, I went on Google Map, and they have not done another drive to get new images, and the 2011 construction images are still there.

Last edited:
Hello my friends!
Thanks so much for all your insights on Bar Harbor, MA and Acadia NP. My DW and I will begin our sojourn to Maine on Sunday, Sept 17th and drive 4-5 hours, stopping where we choose, and overnighting...wherever :big grin: we'll continue on from "wherever" for another 4-5 hrs until we reach Bar Harbor on Monday for a 3 pm checkin at the Bar Harbor Villager Motel. We'll pick up some maps and refer to the extensive points of interest that you kind folks have recommended. Speak with you on the other side. Best, Brian (Retired Athletics Guy)

Just finished my trip to Acadia and Bar Harbor and had a wonderful time. Hope you have a great trip (and don't forget the sunblock even if it's September)

Back
Top Bottom