Ad Blocker Needed!

I'm a fan of Brave. Not only because of the built-in ad-blocking but also it does a good job of importing bookmarks from other browsers. Very transparent in preserving from other browser.

The added bonus is built in Private window or Private window with Tor options.

uBlock Origin is available for Firefox on Android. I use it.

Thank you!

My problem was I was looking for ad blockers for Chrome/Android (the default browser), and I guess there just aren't any (or no extensions at all?). I use FireFox on my desktop/laptop, so installed FF on my Android tablet with uBlock Origin, and it looks like that will do it. The real test will be later, I tend to browse in bed until I fall asleep. Those short youtube ads are annoying, as they tend to block out the title of the video for a while, when I switch tabs across a bunch I have saved for later.

-ERD50

Some ad-blockers have a "block element" feature or similar that may work (uBlock Origin has this feature). But from my experience, it's a manual process of creating the block by website/webpage.

Yeah some of the cookie things are one off websites I'd never use again - I have been searching a lot lately on various health topics and not going to my trusted few sites that I actually use regularly (like this one)!

Last edited:
They've stated that they plan to configure YouTube such that it will be completely blocked if they detect any ad-blocker in place. This would include those browsers with built-in ad-blocking. I will be curious if (a) they will actually do it, and (b) how they will implement it.

There was a time when ads on the Internet were not invasive, and many considered it a small price to pay for accessing information free (outside the cost of an ISP). That is now a very small blip in the rear view mirror.

Last edited:
Thank you!

My problem was I was looking for ad blockers for Chrome/Android (the default browser), and I guess there just aren't any (or no extensions at all?). I use FireFox on my desktop/laptop, so installed FF on my Android tablet with uBlock Origin, and it looks like that will do it. The real test will be later, I tend to browse in bed until I fall asleep. Those short youtube ads are annoying, as they tend to block out the title of the video for a while, when I switch tabs across a bunch I have saved for later.

-ERD50

I'm not aware of any adblockers for Chrome/Android, hope the Firefox/Android browser with uBlock Origin works for you.

I'm not aware of any adblockers for Chrome/Android,

There is a rudimentary ad-blocker built into Android Chrome. You can activate by:

Open Google Chrome on your Android device.
* Click the three-dot menu in the top right corner and open 'Settings'
* Go to 'Site settings' > 'Pop-ups and redirects' and ensure blocking is enabled.

Note: Ad blocking is enabled when the Pop-ups and Redirects toggle switch is in the left position, not the right position. This is somewhat confusing but the written description will help guide you.

It's better than nothing...

I'm not aware of any adblockers for Chrome/Android, hope the Firefox/Android browser with uBlock Origin works for you.

Firefox/Android browser with uBlock Origin has been working for me, thanks. But now I have to get used to FireFox idiosyncrasies, and since I normally use this to read/watch in bed and to get to sleep, I'm not really wanting to dig in and experiment and search for answers.

I'm disappointed that Firefox seems to have no (easy) way to default to 'desktop mode'. I find most sites work better for me, on a tablet, in 'desktop mode' - but FF seems to reset it every time, or even ignore it in one youtube tab, if another youtube tab is open. I'll keep looking for a solution, or just get used to the 'm' version.

-ERD50

There is a rudimentary ad-blocker built into Android Chrome. You can activate by:

Open Google Chrome on your Android device.
* Click the three-dot menu in the top right corner and open 'Settings'
* Go to 'Site settings' > 'Pop-ups and redirects' and ensure blocking is enabled.

Note: Ad blocking is enabled when the Pop-ups and Redirects toggle switch is in the left position, not the right position. This is somewhat confusing but the written description will help guide you.

It's better than nothing...

Thanks, Q's Laptop. I did have that setting enabled, just hoping for a plugin similar to that offered for Chrome/Desktop. I guess I can dream... :)

I'm using uBlock Origin on Chrome now. I no longer see ads on this site, and I don't see any ads when watching YouTube videos.

I'm using uBlock Origin on Chrome now. I no longer see ads on this site, and I don't see any ads when watching YouTube videos.

Chrome on Android?

Bingo! Ad blockers for desktop Chrome are no problem, it's Android Chrome that does not support them (since Google makes money from ads, not surprising).

At least they are not blocking the add-ons for Firefox, I guess people would side-load the add-ons anyhow. Just catching the default users who use the default apps is enough protection for them.

-ERD50

If you want the Chrome experience on Android and block ads, download Brave browser. It's based on Chrome browser. Any extensions you may be using with Chrome will therefore work with it.

https://brave.com/learn/fastest-browser-for-android/

Thanks, just loaded Brave on my tablet, will try it out for a while.

While FireFox worked great as an adblocker, the Android version was driving me nuts. I use FF on my desktop, but I dunno, I thought I'd just get used to FF on Android, but it kept feeling very awkward.

The worst (and there are LOTS of complaints on this), for a tablet especially, I choose 'Desktop site' in the menu bar. That makes sites look much more like when I'm on my computer, so less confusion "where did they hide this selection - what do you mean I can't do x,y,z?). But Android FireFox won't do 'Desktop Site' by default, you have to constantly go in and set it every time you open a tab. Some other things that were just weird.

I'll have to spend some time with Brave to see if it works for my style of usage, but at first glance it looks good.

-ERD50

I'll have to spend some time with Brave to see if it works for my style of usage, but at first glance it looks good.

-ERD50

Update: Working well for me. These tablet browsers are all a bit of a pain in dealing with multiple tabs, but this one is decent.

I have noticed that some ads come through with the default setting, but very few, so I have not tried installing uBlock.

-ERD50

I've been using the Brave browser on my Linux system for a while now and have really appreciated how it improves the online experience by blocking ads. Although I still need to rely on Chrome for work purposes, Brave has become my browser of choice for personal, nonwork web browsing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom