Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements Bundle, $99

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Converted a Win7 machine to Win10 recently and needed to upgrade some software. I had been running Adobe PhotoElements 7 (from 2008) for photo editing and using Windows Movie Maker for video editing.

I was surprised and pleased to see that Adobe is running a sale on the Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements bundle for $99. It's a nice deal.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-premiere-elements/features.html

Offer expires April 19th.

Thank you! I was thinking of buying this package anyway, mostly for the Premier Elements since I already use Lightroom and Photoshop.

I'm tempted since I would guess that the new Elements has more features than my old copy of Photoshop CS5. Is there anyone who has used both Elements and older versions of Photoshop who can tell me what I might gain from the switch? Does Elements have a good Shadows/Highlights feature?

This thread motivated to look up the version history of Photoshop Elements to see if it was worth it for me to upgrade. I currently have PS Elements 12 and PS CS5 (on different machines), and the short answer is no.

There have been 6 upgrades to Elements since my version and lots of little improvements (new filters, new widgets, improvements to some processes) but honestly nothing that sounds like it would significantly impact my work flow.

The big deal for me is that Elements still doesn't include the ability to record and use actions (i.e. macros) that the full Photoshop does. For just messing around with a few photos this isn't a big deal and I sometimes use Elements on my laptop. If I have dozens of shots to work on though, I much prefer CS5 on my fast desk top even if some of the functions now seem a bit antiquated.

Stepford, I just use PS CS5 for individual processing. I don’t use actions. Do the newer versions of Elements offer compelling features for unsophisticated users over CS5?

There's lots of "cute" new features: turn frowns into smiles, make closed eyes open, etc. There are also some more functional stuff like improvements to Photomerge, content-aware fill and edge blending. Honestly though, it sounds like nothing I'd really use. YMMV.

PS. Where I find the actions in CS5 really handy are for different flavors of sharpening: local contract enhancement, initial and final sharpening with a single keystroke really are handy for me when I'm processing a bunch of images. In a perfect world I'm sure the current versions of PS Creative Cloud do this and more marvelously, but I'd sooner spend a month on the Diamond Princess than pay Adobe's subscription fees.

Thanks Stepford. I saw some of the cutesy stuff and had no interest. I have seen people do some amazing manipulations for things like haze correction that I can’t replicate with my minimalist skills. If some of that show up in automagic new features I might pop for $100 but I’m not going for the full subscription either.

Back
Top Bottom