advice for travel to the Big Island and Kauai

There is no lava flowing on Hawaii Island right now except in Halema'uma'u crater in the national park. But of course that can change at any moment. If there is a breakout, I would change my plans to see it. It is truly not something to be missed. I've been close enough to stick sticks in it and watched a lava river pour off a cliff into the ocean. It is amazing! Right now what you see at night is the glow from the lava lake in the crater. There are videos at the link below.

You can get volcano activity updates at https://www.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kila...ummit eruption,scenario is likely to continue.

and can even sign up for notifications.

Thank you! Obviously I have a lot to learn. When I go to this website, it says: "The summit eruption of Kīlauea Volcano, within Halemaʻumaʻu crater, has continued over the past 24 hours."

So this is what you mean by no lava flowing in the park except in Halema'uma'u crater, right? And so, can you only see a glow from this at night? It's not visible in the daytime? It's an "eruption" but not a "breakout"? Does that mean it's not exploding up into the air but rather flowing more like oozing or a river?

With all the great input in this thread you might need a month!

It is true, there is a great deal to do and see. Nobody mentioned the Coffee Shack, situated along the Mamaloa highway with great views and very good sandwiches on fresh bread, and great pies. It is hung out on the edge of the road.
https://www.coffeeshack.com/

The climate in Kona is very much altitude dependent. If you are down near the beach it will be the warmest, and as you go up the mountain it gets cooler. Partway up the mountain you find the cloud forest. I have not taken this tour but have been up there and it is very cool, pun intended.
https://www.konacloudforest.com/
If you like rich ice cream, Tropical Dreams is served all over. We went to the Waimea location but you can find it all over, using the retail locator on the website.
https://www.tropicaldreamsicecream.com/

Thank you! Obviously I have a lot to learn. When I go to this website, it says: "The summit eruption of Kīlauea Volcano, within Halemaʻumaʻu crater, has continued over the past 24 hours."

So this is what you mean by no lava flowing in the park except in Halema'uma'u crater, right? And so, can you only see a glow from this at night? It's not visible in the daytime? It's an "eruption" but not a "breakout"? Does that mean it's not exploding up into the air but rather flowing more like oozing or a river?

In the crater (caldera is the correct term but the name includes the word crater) the lava is mostly oozing out and forming a lake. You might see some glow during the day but it is more pronounced at night. The link I sent is a daily report put out by the Hawaii Volcano Observatory which is part of the USGS. The summit eruption is the active eruption happening inside the park in the Halema'uma'u Crater right now. It could change or stop at any time

I don't actually know the correct terms but an eruption seems to be when the lava is above the ground. It can be oozing or it can produce huge fountains.

A breakout is usually the term used when the lava starts coming out in a new place. For example, in May of 2018 there was an earthquake that opened up some paths deep underground and all of a sudden (literally) lava started squirting up out of a fissure that opened up near Hilo. It's not something to be concerned about usually (unless it is in your yard) but it happens every couple of years and no one knows if the next one will last hours or centuries.

And to save you some time, pu'u (pronounced poo - oo) is a cinder cone, the mostly cone shaped hills you see all over the place. You will see that in many place names in Hawaii. Pele's hair mentioned in the report is filaments of lava that are irridescent in color and the size of human hair. You will likely see it downwind of the eruption. It is pretty cool to find but very fragile.

Hawaii volcanos generally are not explosive. The eruptions here are not like Mount St. Helens where the whole side of the mountain was blown off explosively. The lava here is runnier so it might squirt high in the sky but there are not many explosive events. What does happen are steam explosions that can propel big rocks up into the air for quite a distance. Volcanos on the edges of continents have a much stickier lava that allows pressure to build up and lead to explosive eruptions.

And as if to remind me to say nice things about her, Pele just gave us a moderate earthquake as I write this. First guess is 4.2.

Keep in mind that in January, the water will be relatively cool - low 70s so for diving or extending snorkeling, you might want a light wet suit. Also, that is Humpback whale season so I would want a day or more for at least one whale watching/snorkeling trip. I would spend at least 5 days on each island. One day in Hilo has always been enough for me on that side of the island and with the great highway up and over the island now, you can go around and then up and over on the way back. As already noted, that time of year I would not stay on the Princeville side of Kauai if I had a choice.

And as if to remind me to say nice things about her, Pele just gave us a moderate earthquake as I write this. First guess is 4.2.

Earthquake was a 4.4 just a few miles from me. Yes madam Pele I am telling the good folks on this forum to respect you!

Snorkel!
With the hubby’s bad knee- this is the nature activity for you. The beauty of underwater Hawaii is every bit as worthy of your attention as that above.
On Kauai -the “Bali Hai” beach snorkeling was amazing. Every time I thought I had seen it all, some new fascinating marine life appeared. (I was so mesmerized, I failed to reapply sunblock on my back and fried it to a crispy lobster red.)
On The Big Island the Cook Monument was great -but you have to hire a boat or go with a group. This will require more planning, reservations, etc.

On Kauai there are three areas main areas. Princeville to the North, Poipu to the South and Lihue near the airport on the east coast. Since each has a variety of attractions to visit no single place is really ideal for entire stay without having to dedicate significant time to get around. Maybe split stay is best?

With all the great input in this thread you might need a month!

Ha ha ha!!! Seriously!!!! It actually did make me add another day or two to our plans! lol!

All joking aside, the responses have been fantastic and are deeply appreciated! :D:D:D

In the crater (caldera is the correct term but the name includes the word crater) the lava is mostly oozing out and forming a lake. You might see some glow during the day but it is more pronounced at night. The link I sent is a daily report put out by the Hawaii Volcano Observatory which is part of the USGS. The summit eruption is the active eruption happening inside the park in the Halema'uma'u Crater right now. It could change or stop at any time

I don't actually know the correct terms but an eruption seems to be when the lava is above the ground. It can be oozing or it can produce huge fountains.

A breakout is usually the term used when the lava starts coming out in a new place. For example, in May of 2018 there was an earthquake that opened up some paths deep underground and all of a sudden (literally) lava started squirting up out of a fissure that opened up near Hilo. It's not something to be concerned about usually (unless it is in your yard) but it happens every couple of years and no one knows if the next one will last hours or centuries.

And to save you some time, pu'u (pronounced poo - oo) is a cinder cone, the mostly cone shaped hills you see all over the place. You will see that in many place names in Hawaii. Pele's hair mentioned in the report is filaments of lava that are irridescent in color and the size of human hair. You will likely see it downwind of the eruption. It is pretty cool to find but very fragile.

Hawaii volcanos generally are not explosive. The eruptions here are not like Mount St. Helens where the whole side of the mountain was blown off explosively. The lava here is runnier so it might squirt high in the sky but there are not many explosive events. What does happen are steam explosions that can propel big rocks up into the air for quite a distance. Volcanos on the edges of continents have a much stickier lava that allows pressure to build up and lead to explosive eruptions.

Thank you so very much for the detailed explanation - very helpful! I read a few websites where tours are suggested for nighttime viewing, as it is safer to have a guide bring you back at night because it is easy to get lost. Do you have any input/suggestions/recommendations on that?

Oh my! Never a dull moment I see!

Snorkel!
With the hubby’s bad knee- this is the nature activity for you. The beauty of underwater Hawaii is every bit as worthy of your attention as that above.
On Kauai -the “Bali Hai” beach snorkeling was amazing. Every time I thought I had seen it all, some new fascinating marine life appeared. (I was so mesmerized, I failed to reapply sunblock on my back and fried it to a crispy lobster red.)
On The Big Island the Cook Monument was great -but you have to hire a boat or go with a group. This will require more planning, reservations, etc.

Excellent point about his knee and snorkeling tips!

On Kauai there are three areas main areas. Princeville to the North, Poipu to the South and Lihue near the airport on the east coast. Since each has a variety of attractions to visit no single place is really ideal for entire stay without having to dedicate significant time to get around. Maybe split stay is best?

Will consider that - thank you!

Thank you so very much for the detailed explanation - very helpful! I read a few websites where tours are suggested for nighttime viewing, as it is safer to have a guide bring you back at night because it is easy to get lost. Do you have any input/suggestions/recommendations on that?

While I would suggest a guided tour for some things, you don't need one to see the lava at night at this time. Several years ago you would have been driving to a remote location and getting lost was probably a possibility. Now though, it is in the park and it would be virtually impossible to get lost.

While I would suggest going on a snorkel tour to the Cook Monument, I want to clarify... you can easily rent a kayak and go there yourself. A permit is required but the legitimate people renting kayaks have a permit and will give you a copy. If they don't then don't rent from them. It is a very easy paddle over to the monument. You could also swim over, it's only several hundred yards.

You can also hike down to the monument. I have not done the hike myself but I have heard it is not the best hike because it is hot and in the sun most of the way. Still, I drive past the parking area almost every day and it is always packed so plenty of people do it. And they are not all rental cars!

some of my favorite snorkeling was in Honaunau Bay, right by the city of refuge. It is well sheltered by a reef complex. Last time I was there I could hang out in ~10' of water and see all sorts of wildlife.

some of my favorite snorkeling was in Honaunau Bay, right by the city of refuge. It is well sheltered by a reef complex. Last time I was there I could hang out in ~10' of water and see all sorts of wildlife.

Yes, that is basically Two Step that we talked about above.

We've been to both Islands. Kauai is by far the nicest island in the chain. We spent 5 nights at the Marriot and had a car. There are many great places to hike. The island is extremely lush. The canyons are nice too. You need to hike to see some of the most spectacular spots on the island. The Big Island is the complete opposite as it is the youngest island. A lot of it just lava fields. You need a car to get around also. We spent 6 night there and frankly it was 3 nights too many. It was the least favorite island for us in the chain. Maui is a better island to visit and so is Oahu. But Oahu is too crowded.

We've been to both Islands. Kauai is by far the nicest island in the chain. We spent 5 nights at the Marriot and had a car. There are many great places to hike. The island is extremely lush. The canyons are nice too. You need to hike to see some of the most spectacular spots on the island. The Big Island is the complete opposite as it is the youngest island. A lot of it just lava fields. You need a car to get around also. We spent 6 night there and frankly it was 3 nights too many. It was the least favorite island for us in the chain. Maui is a better island to visit and so is Oahu. But Oahu is too crowded.

This is really a matter of personal opinion. I live on the Big Island because it was my favorite after visiting every island but Molokai as a tourist. We go to Maui, Oahu, and Kauai for mini vacations, business, and family visits usually several times a year. I find there is little to do on Kauai. Oahu is too crowded but I admit to rarely going outside Honolulu because I do not want to rent a car because traffic is horrible. My partner has family connections to the ancient Maui chiefs so we are there once a year or so to visit extended family. But I find the tourist areas full of the loudest and ugliest Americans so we avoid those areas.

Yes, much of the Big Island is lava flows. And you do need a car. But I'm going to guess that you stayed in Kohala. There is nothing wrong with that. But if you want lush forests like Kauai you were in the wrong place.

Personally I think every island has its charms and deciding which is best is an individual decision. I am not offended by your disdain for the Big Island nor will I take any offense if the OP comes here and hates it. We all have our personal preferences!

We spent 5 nights at the Marriot and had a car.

The Marriott Kauai in Lihue was an awesome property but ceased being a Marriott a few years ago. The one in Poipu was destroyed by hurricane Iniki in 1992. There are plenty of other Bonvoy properties on Kauai bu sadly the Marriott is no longer among them.

Kauai Beach Villas are some timeshare properties. Many people rent them out through Vrbo. I just checked-there’s still availability through Vrbo for many dates.

Kauai Beach Villas are some timeshare properties. Many people rent them out through Vrbo. I just checked-there’s still availability through Vrbo for many dates.

Thank you so much! I will check that out!

Question regarding Kauai:

How is it driving from the East Side to the north as well as to the south and west sides of the island?

I am reading Frommer's, and they are suggesting splitting your time between two locations to reduce drive time to the different sides of the island. They also mentioned traffic could be bad on the east side, especially during rush hour times (the morning wouldn't be an issue for us, but I expect we'd be returning from activities during the evening rush hour time).

We have 6 nights scheduled for Kauai. I would love to stay in one place, as it's so much more relaxing to not have to move! I'm not an early morning person, so it's hard for me to get out and about until after 10 a.m. If I could do that and reasonably see everything from an east location, that would be my preference.

However, I am willing to split it into two locations if it's more practical - say, a few nights on the east side (for easier access to the north) and a few nights in the south (for easier access to the west).

This is really a matter of personal opinion. I live on the Big Island because it was my favorite after visiting every island but Molokai as a tourist. We go to Maui, Oahu, and Kauai for mini vacations, business, and family visits usually several times a year. I find there is little to do on Kauai. Oahu is too crowded but I admit to rarely going outside Honolulu because I do not want to rent a car because traffic is horrible. My partner has family connections to the ancient Maui chiefs so we are there once a year or so to visit extended family. But I find the tourist areas full of the loudest and ugliest Americans so we avoid those areas.

Yes, much of the Big Island is lava flows. And you do need a car. But I'm going to guess that you stayed in Kohala. There is nothing wrong with that. But if you want lush forests like Kauai you were in the wrong place.

Personally I think every island has its charms and deciding which is best is an individual decision. I am not offended by your disdain for the Big Island nor will I take any offense if the OP comes here and hates it. We all have our personal preferences!

I don't have any disdain for the Big Island. We stayed at the Royal Kona Resort and it was a nice resort hotel. We explored the entire island while we were there. We went where the roads would take us. We hiked through many trails and took two helicopter tours over the island. It's a relatively young island. I'm sure that in about 6 million years it will be just like Kauai. If you like geology and want witness how islands form, volcanoes, black sand beaches, the Big Island is the place. If you want lush tropical forests waterfalls, and very few crowds, Kauai is a better option. Oahu is fine once you get outside Honolulu. The north and western shores are great and the interior valleys are nice. Maui is even nicer but for us Kauai is the closest thing to a lush tropical paradise with hiking trails that lead to spectacular waterfalls. Even the Ferrell chickens on the island are friendly if you feed them.

The Marriott Kauai in Lihue was an awesome property but ceased being a Marriott a few years ago. The one in Poipu was destroyed by hurricane Iniki in 1992. There are plenty of other Bonvoy properties on Kauai bu sadly the Marriott is no longer among them.

Our first visit to Hawaii was in 1995 after we received an offer in the mail from Marriot for 5 nights at their resort in Lihue plus a car for only $559. The property was spectacular at the time and remnants of the damage from the hurricane were all over the island. Little did we know that the offer was a time share ambush. Every day we went out to explore the island and when we returned to the hotel, we would have several voice mails insisting that we check in with the resort director. After the fourth night and knocks on our door the hotel director insisted that we attend a 90 minute presentation. We told her that we wanted to go horseback riding. She said that she would pay for our horseback ride if we attended the presentation. So we said fine and attended this 90 minute presentation where they were done with us after 40 minutes. The horse back riding was nice and we were sure that we were blacklisted from future timeshare ambushes. But we were wrong. We received similar offers from the Westin in Maui, Hilton in Oahu, Sheraton in Maui, and to our surprise once again at the Marriot in Lihue in 2015. We took advantage of those offers and improved our time to get tossed out down to as low as 20 minutes. Every time we received a $90 resort credit that we applied towards an activity like horseback riding. Those offers still come but we ignore them. Life is too short to sit through time share presentations and deal with an angry wife for subjecting her to that.

Back
Top Bottom