Aftermarket Sunroof?

BigMoneyJim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I decided a couple of years ago my next car will have a sunroof.

Tonight it struck me that the cars I'm looking at are roughly the same as mine but newer and with a sunroof. Why not put a sunroof in my current car (1997 Lumina (4-dr sedan)) to enjoy until the car finally craps out?

Anybody have experiences to relate on sticking a sunroof or moonroof on an old car?

BMJ,

We used to install them where I worked and there's nothing wrong with installing one in an older car. I wouldn't recommend putting one in a new car. Most of them leak at some point but since your car is a 97 have a good time. Just have a reputable installer put it in, don't go to some guys driveway. You may end up with a convertible. (heh)

No problem...be sure to get the good silicone gasket (extra $$). Mine ran me maybe 400 bucks? perhaps a touch more? it was a manual, installed a few yrs back

BMJ,

We used to install them where I worked and there's nothing wrong with installing one in an older car. I wouldn't recommend putting one in a new car. Most of them leak at some point but since your car is a 97 have a good time. Just have a reputable installer put it in, don't go to some guys driveway. You may end up with a convertible. (heh)

And if it does leak the approved Oregon winter technique is a smear of petroleum jelly on the gasket where the glass touches. Seals up the leak point during the months you aren't opening the lid, wipes off easily in the summer. Quick, effective, cheap.

Personally, I would not do it. As stated... the likelihood of leaks.

Sun roofs and moon roofs are a personal preference. I have had them and found that I did not use them much.

Unless you just can't live without it... I would suggest that you just hold off until your next car purchase and get it as a factory option.

I had one put in an older geo prism never leaked and the car is still going at 200,000 miles.

I would have to vote in the hardly use them category.

Back
Top Bottom