Air in Water Pipe Question

joesxm3

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My 91 year old stepfather says that he has started to have air in his water pipes. It seems to have started two days ago.

He has a filter hooked up near where the water comes in from the well pump and had changed the filter cartridge shortly before this started. He has been changing the filter for years and says that this is not the cause.

He pees in a bucket and carries it up to the toilet on the second floor to dump. He seems to think that the first instance happened when he dumped the bucket into the toilet. He thinks he dumped it to quickly.

I have not been able to visit to see this first hand and it is hard to pry the information from him over the phone.

I did a Google search and came up with two thoughts on the situation and figured I would run them by here for double checking and any advice.

1. The process for removing the air from the system involves shutting off the water at the main cutoff and then opening the faucets and other water things starting with closest to the source and letting it all drain out, then turning it back on.

2. Air in the water pipe is not an emergency situation. It seems that it may clear on its own, or if not, the main danger is premature rusting if left for a long time.

Am I on track with these two items?

We are planning to have the hot water heater replaced in a few weeks. Does it sound like we can wait for that contractor to come and have him deal with the situation if it has not cleared up by then?

I am having a hard time extracting the information from stepdad, but it sounds like the main symptom at the moment is that the water sputters for a minute or two when he turns on the water faucet and then clears up until the next time.

I will be picking him up to stay with us for a week in a day or two and will be able to see the situation in person then.

Well thanks in advance for any advice.

Joe

If the filter is not install properly, it is possible that it can be sucking some air.

Any air in water pipes can be bleed off by opening the highest which can be shower, sink etc.

Thanks.

Dad ran all his faucets and it seems to have solved the problem.

Yeah, the faucets will spit air and water then work fine, hopefully.

Now about that peeing in a bucket and carrying it up stairs......
No toilet on the first floor? :confused:

No toilet on first floor. Just a shower.

I bring him to my house about half the time and we will most likely to be transitioning to full time soon.

That brings the headache of clearing and selling the house. But the lack of first floor toilet will be the next owners problem.

Yeah, the faucets will spit air and water then work fine, hopefully.

Now about that peeing in a bucket and carrying it up stairs......
No toilet on the first floor? :confused:

Archie Bunker's house didn't have a toilet on the first floor. I think that configuration used to be pretty common in days past.
That said, if he can walk upstairs with a full bucket, couldn't he just walk upstairs to pee instead? Maybe too many trips.... in any event too much information already! :LOL:

Could be a marketability issue. Who wants to go upstairs to pee?
I'd probably pee in the shower.

But, sounds like you have enough to do.
Price it right and someone will take it and do a a proper bath.

Could be a marketability issue. Who wants to go upstairs to pee?
I'd probably pee in the shower.

Exactly, OP could tell him to pee in the shower and then just run a little water to flush it down the drain.
Sooner or later, he will drop the bucket while walking up the stairs.

If OP was close, OP could make a temporary urinal from a large bleach bottle upside down and cut open on 1 side, with a hose from the cap end to the shower drain. Screw it to the wall and he would be all set.

Thanks.

Dad ran all his faucets and it seems to have solved the problem.

I have the same problem every winter. And I drain the system, and then fill the system leaving the top faucet open until water comes out of it. Then turn it off. Works every time, but I get air in the pipes agin the following winter.

Back
Top Bottom