Alexa home guard who knew?

Happyras

Full time employment: Posting here.
So we’ve been traveling for two weeks and left our home with our cats under care and surrounded by Alexa enabled devices.

Here we are on our last leg home today and I get a notice from Alexa that there is been a sound of a glass breakage in the house.

I had no idea that was going to work or could even allowed me to hear the noise it heard and continue to listen in like real time from Europe.

Well it turned out it was an Echo Dot I had outdoors under a metal gazebo that was picking up noise that sounded like glass. Apparently our weather at home has turned really bad and it sounded like heavy rain or hail hitting the roof of the gazebo but it was comforting to know that Alexa was actually listening all over our property while we were away. Then again what else does Alexa listen to when we are home? It kind of reminds me of the remake of Fahrenheit 451 movie.

These systems have to be listening all the time, or it wouldn't hear you say "Alexa...". If they were not listening all the time, you'd have to push a button to "wake it up" to listen.

Now, what they do with what they hear is another story, with lots of paranoia and conspiracy theories surrounding it. Though, as they say, "you may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean they are not out to get you!"

-ERD50

:rolleyes:I figure if they want me that bad, then come and get me. I am pretty high maintenance to keep!

We have wyze cameras, when we leave the house, I plug in the camera that is already set up inside.
I get notified when the camera hears the phone ring, so I don't miss the scammer phone calls :LOL:

We have no cameras or alexas. If we are not there, it's best not to know the furniture (35 year old stuff) was stolen. If the house burns down, I doubt alexa would survive the inferno. Insurance will cover new stuff. :cool: And the old stuff, was just that...old stuff.

We have no cameras or alexas. If we are not there, it's best not to know the furniture (35 year old stuff) was stolen. If the house burns down, I doubt alexa would survive the inferno. Insurance will cover new stuff. :cool: And the old stuff, was just that...old stuff.

They will steal jewelry, cash, drugs, cell phones, laptops, tablets, guns.

Nobody wants furniture these days !

I want a photo of them , just to the police have something to go on.
If we were in a fire prone area, I'd want a camera to know if my place burned, and to even watch the burning. How often can a person do that.

They will steal jewelry, cash, drugs, cell phones, laptops, tablets, guns.

They would have to get all that stuff from the neighbors. We live a pretty spartan existence. Well, unless we take it with us, my 5 year old Chromebook and DW's 4 year old iPad would go or burn up, but these two internet devices usually go with us on a trip.

Wasn't aware of Alexa Home Guard, thanks for bringing it up. I have a Ring home security system, looks like I could use Home Guard to set off the Ring siren if a glass break is detected.

Back
Top Bottom