Alternatives To The Norms

We did keep the home for a couple years while traveling for a few months at a time but once it sold we travelled for 2 years with no home. We did have a "home base" at my wife's family property farm where we'd spend the winters. We recently bought our new home and sold the RV. We thought about buying a cabin in the mountains but it makes more sense to rent. That really opens up the entire world to us.
The rentals for this summer will average about $1800/month. There are discounts out there you just need to send out a bunch of inquiries. We usually look for 2-3 bedroom house/cabins.

One thing I'm considering is picking 6-8 areas in the US that I want to explore as potential post-FIRE locations, then using airbnb to stay in each one for 6-8 weeks, perhaps while renting out my own house for a year.

One thing I'm considering is picking 6-8 areas in the US that I want to explore as potential post-FIRE locations, then using airbnb to stay in each one for 6-8 weeks, perhaps while renting out my own house for a year.

I like this idea.

You know, clobber, there is no reason why you HAVE to go anywhere at all in retirement. Why not just play it by ear? If/when some option sounds appealing to you in retirement, go do it. If nothing does, then just stay put. :)

I agree with W2R. Sometimes no action is the the best choice until something comes along that sparks your interest. Perhaps if money is not the issue you might want to look into National Geographic Expeditions. That will be more about experiences without moving from the base residence.

House swapping? No experience, just an idea.

You could settle into a condo or small house in a touristy location that would be attractive to potential swapping partners. Specify that any potential match is more attractive to you if the partner city's baseball team is on a homestand during the swap week.

On paper, at least, the cost would be lower than spending time paying for out-of-town accommodations while maintaining an empty home with its own cash flow requirements.

Google "house swap" and you'll find several matchmaking sites.

I agree with W2R. Sometimes no action is the the best choice until something comes along that sparks your interest. Perhaps if money is not the issue you might want to look into National Geographic Expeditions. That will be more about experiences without moving from the base residence.

I hear what both of you are saying, but I probably will actually have to move. Much of my work is overseas and generally I won't be allowed to stay into retirement. Nor would I really want to.

That sounds fantastic. How do you do that for reasonable $$$? I have zero desire to RV. Staying in ~$200/night Hampton Inns adds up quickly. I'm actually on a road trip now.

A nice truck camper - very much like being in a hotel room. Don't like RV resorts, but boondock National Forests and parks, state parks, etc. 400 watts of solar panels makes us energy independent - don't need hookups. Best campsites are often free or under $10-$12 a night. So we don't really 'camp', don't really 'RV' lol. The truck camper parks most anywhere a car does. Biggest expense is fuel, but we can keep expenses down by traveling a few hours, visiting an area for a few day, traveling a few hours...

If we need AC, State Parks are generally fairly good about keeping some privacy between units and cost - about $25 a night.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We budget about $1000 to $1500 a month for travel.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

For the past 6 years we have used vrbo and other rental houses, apartments and condos, usually for 2 to 4 weeks at a time, rented a house for 6 months in 2011.

So far this year we have rented vrbo style furnished places several times. It's a great way for us to get to know a town and/or area. We are about to head out to Canmore for a month stay in a 2 bed furnished place. While there our son is going to fly out and visit with us from Texas.

Keeping the home base to store stuff, and using VRBO or airbnb to find long term monthly or multiple-monthly places to explore has worked for us. Along with the occasional long road trip, sometimes from one month-long stay to another. Usually we seem to be traveling about half the year. Might not be the most cost-effective, but it's easier to have a home base right now.

We're starting to explore house sitting, but a lot of those opportunities involve animal care which pretty much ties you to only short day-trips from the house site.

Somehow we got off topic; the topic being:

Alternatives To The Norms

So, to answer the OP's question...

Joan

Joan Fontaine
Joan Crawford
Joan of Arc
Joan Rivers
Joan Jett
Joan Cusack
Joan Baez

Back