Am I Being a Scrooge or St. Nick?

Would you mind sharing why you believe the Salvation Army is a "completely other story" from Goodwill? I am genuinely curious.

Of course!
I’m sure it depends on the local Salvation Army, but their thrift store was always so over priced.
I work for social services and we wouldn’t provide vouchers for SA due to the cost.
They also would pick and choose who they helped.
Goodwill was the complete opposite. In fact they contacted us about setting up an employment program specifically for people who have difficulty finding jobs elsewhere.
Again, this was my experience. But I’ve been in social services for 35 years so it’s a long standing experience.

Well, I hauled off the old Christmas tree along with a car load of stuff to Goodwill today. Feels good to give the old tree a new home.

To my surprise, Goodwill turned down a small, working accent table. Now I'm wondering was this denied because nobody wants them (like CRT monitors)? Or was that a subjective decision as I didn't have chance to dust off some spiderwebs and dust?

I said, no problem, and brought the accent table back. I still have not need for an accent table, but as I was thinking, I may just take it apart and reuse a couple of boards as they good sized to used for additional shelving.

When we moved, I tried to donate our basement furniture - which was much, much nicer-looking than anything I've seen in Goodwill stores - but they turned all of it down. The bonded-leather sectional had a musty odor, they said, and the tables, bookshelves and rolltop desk weren't solid wood.

Well, la-dee-dah! :LOL:

Anyway, the estate sale people got a little bit for all of it, so we didn't have to pay to haul it away.

To my surprise, Goodwill turned down a small, working accent table. Now I'm wondering was this denied because nobody wants them (like CRT monitors)? Or was that a subjective decision as I didn't have chance to dust off some spiderwebs and dust?

I said, no problem, and brought the accent table back. I still have not need for an accent table, but as I was thinking, I may just take it apart and reuse a couple of boards as they good sized to used for additional shelving.

Back
Top Bottom