Amazon’s dynamic pricing

I bought a CGSULT SC204 OBD2 for $27.19

I am a sporadic Amazon shopper, but noticed the same thing last week. Saw one price and come back later in the day planning to purchase the item and it had increased by so much that I abandoned the purchase.

A different example, a couple of days ago I watched a youtube video from Scotty Kilmer, a couple of days after he posted, where he recommended an OBD2 scan tool for $35 (the CGSULIT SC204). When I checked the Amazon link it was already $53, rising another dollar or two an hour later. I was not totally surprised as he has a lot of followers, so I had expected it to temporarily sell out after his demo. When I check now, the price is $45.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TTBNCZL/

I bought a CGSULT SC204 OBD2 for $27.19 on 9/4/2021 from Amazon The item was $33.99 less a 20% off special coupon for a net price of $27.29, free shipping plus NV sales tax. I guess I saw the Scotty Kilmer episode sooner than you. The CGSULT SC204 OBD2 works great on my 2 SUVs and solved a nagging problem on my wife's SUV.

I bought a CGSULT SC204 OBD2 for $27.19 on 9/4/2021 from Amazon The item was $33.99 less a 20% off special coupon for a net price of $27.29, free shipping plus NV sales tax. I guess I saw the Scotty Kilmer episode sooner than you. The CGSULT SC204 OBD2 works great on my 2 SUVs and solved a nagging problem on my wife's SUV.

A little OT, but what is the advantage of these, versus a $13 OBD2 Bluetooth device and a free app?

https://www.amazon.com/obdator-Bluetooth-Scanner-Automotive-Diagnostic/dp/B074DWH8JR

https://www.amazon.com/Friencity-Bluetooth-Scanner-Diagnostic-Compatible/dp/B078RLDP8C

-ERD50

No idea since I do not have an ELM327 device or a smartphone. Obvious answers that could be useless are: $14 cheaper and Scotty Kilmer recommends the CGSULT SC204 OBD2 but not the ELM327 device.

Or is it just the free market?

Stock prices change by the second, based on supply/demand. Why not other things we buy?

Note that people posted both that prices went up, and prices went down after putting it in their cart. So if it is underhanded, they don't seem to know what they are doing?

-ERD50

I agree that businesses are free to set their own prices and policies - just as I am free to withhold any "loyalty" to a given business. I can recall a time that loyalty was something to be desired by businesses. Now, maximizing prophets seem to be the only thing businesses believe in. That's okay. Just don't pretend we should be loyal. I laugh whenever a business mentions their "loyalty" program.

So, we're all in it for ourselves and I've come to accept that as the new normal. So, carry on Amazon! YMMV

This video was posted on Sept 24. He occasionally mentions different scan tools at various price points, but he was impressed by the price and capabilities of this unit in particular. How it could show live data of the selected system to help with diagnosis. And the fact that it was a small self contained unit. The video was talking about this specific scan tool, but he was really giving more general pointers on how a scan tool can be invaluable when checking out a used car (to see if the seller had just cleared out trouble codes) and to get some idea of the problem before taking one's vehicle into a mechanic for service, assuming the car owner had no desire or skills to do the repair themselves.

We have been placing about 400+ orders per year on Amazon for the last decade or so. I have been a member of Amazon when it was an auction site and then sold books, about 1998. We have several items on "subscribe and save" (S & S).

Lately, S & S has screwed me with delayed orders, then repricing when available. And sometimes I miss those notifications to check final prices on S & S if I want to change anything. So we have cancelled the S & S ordering. It's just not working as I expected and it's too much bother seeing I can get the same stuff locally for the same price or less and also not have to fiddle with adjusting delivery intervals.

I can buy most anything we want at Walmart (one mile from the house) for the same price or less. Same goes for other stuff we buy like auto parts (I repair my own cars) and those are always less expensive at Rock Auto. Plus, a Costco opened about 1.25 miles away and I have found them to be a source for a few things I don't want to buy elsewhere.

And the diabolical Amazon price changing every few hours/days is enough irritation.

This year, we are not using Amazon for gift cards at Xmas or anything else for that matter. In other words, we are deliberately migrating away from Amazon.

I’ve been an Amazon shopper for many years, so I’m not surprised when I see something that I bought on Amazon later on for a better price. But lately, I’m seeing the prices on things I need changing on an hourly basis.

I buy a lot of Franklin X40 pickleballs from Amazon. Two days ago the price was $5.49 for a 3 pack. Then it jumped the $9.99 this morning, then back to $5.49. Inventory went from 4 week lead time, to nine in stock, to a ten day lead time, and now ten in stock.

A battery pack I was looking for was 25% off this morning around 7am, then back to full price an hour later. None of these items are lightning deals or Amazon daily deals. They are just items I purchase on a regular basis that seem to constantly change in price.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in the frequency of price changes taking place at Amazon?

I tested software for a few months that was an amazon "re-pricer" engine. We would update txn realtime so the price was always changing to be competitive. It was all about "getting the buy box" as some sellers never could even compete.

Its a VERY competitive business re-pricing items. We did it for wal-mart.com, rakuten, paypal amazon and a few others.

I'll never forget that job, on my final day I had sat down on the curb outside a VERY SMALL office and was thinking I was going to get offered some equity. When I was told the business wasn't profitable, we decided it was best to pay me out the rest of the work week as I had accepted a job for about $20,000 more a year.

I remember there were a lot of jewish folks in the business of online retail. I also remember the number one seller on amazon marketplace at that time was a single man who owned a western store that sold western related clothing and items like boots, hats and even saddles. I think he was doing like a million a day in business or something Ludacris back then.

I thought about trying to make my own online retail store at one point but never amounted to much. Lots of folks just drop-shipping from a satellite warehouse distributor. I remember one of the guys I worked with was like, the longer the product sits on the shelf, the less the company makes. Its so true.

This video was posted on Sept 24. He occasionally mentions different scan tools at various price points, but he was impressed by the price and capabilities of this unit in particular. How it could show live data of the selected system to help with diagnosis. And the fact that it was a small self contained unit. The video was talking about this specific scan tool, but he was really giving more general pointers on how a scan tool can be invaluable when checking out a used car (to see if the seller had just cleared out trouble codes) and to get some idea of the problem before taking one's vehicle into a mechanic for service, assuming the car owner had no desire or skills to do the repair themselves. ...

Thanks. That certainly does a lot for $35, and a $13 dongle (plus maybe a few $ if the free apps don't have what you need), isn't much price delta, so either approach makes sense.

But almost everything he went on about is done by that dongle and a free app too. I get the failure codes, I can reset them, and it shows the ready status (very handy if you had to do a repair, and now want to go in for a test, like I had once with a marginal thermostat). Like he says, you need to drive enough for the system to make a determination on these various readings, not very predictable, and some are required for a PASS (depends how your local area handles emissions testing). Seems the 'ready' status should have been something standard that the dashboard shows, since it is important to the consumer.

I get live data too (the apps I've tried are Torque and Dash, there's many more). The one thing that I don't think they provide is a data snapshot at the time a code occurs (if I followed him on that point).

Well, getting kinda off topic, but that's my 2 cents (or maybe 3 if I update the price after post)!

-ERD50

So, I put both puzzles in my cart and just waited. This afternoon the $28 one dropped to $17, and I snatched it up. The $38 one is still holding, but based on past experience I expect it to drop in the next couple of weeks. If it does, I will buy it. If not, nope.

Check the listing for the $38 puzzle and see if there is more than one seller. If there is only one seller it might not drop in price because this seller has no competition. Lowering the price will depend on the seller's perceived need to move the product or else he will hang on to it and see if he gets $38.

If there is more than one seller it is possible the price will drop.

Amazon is more about convenience these days that lower prices. Sometimes, I can beat their price on Ebay and sometimes by ordering directly from the manufacturer. This happens often enough that I check. However, if I have to get in my car and spend 45 minutes driving to and from StoreABC to save $2, I may choose the convenience.

This thread reminded me of Google Flights. We occasionally go to their map to see if they have any smoking deals to a desired location. We came across air, non-stop, r/t to Rome for ~$300. I planted the seed w/DW & 2 days later it was $450, we booked, & the next day, $1,600. Same airline and flight...

Great when you just have a bug to travel. They also offer up international flights and airlines once you get to your destination.

To combat Amazon’s dynamic pricing, check out this app (browser extension) for Macintosh computers called Pricy. I just loaded it. It records the price history of items for sale on Amazon and tells you whether the current price is high or low, and it will alert you when the price drops.

For example, I bought some specialized post hole diggers last week for $139 that are listed today for $100. Pricy says I should have waited until they are selling for $96 again!

It does not seem to work for devices, just Mac laptops and desktops, though I haven’t explored that fully. You download the app, choose the version for the browser you use, login and then open Amazon with that browser. Voila. Save, especially if you pay with a Chase Amazon Prime Signature card, saving 5% cash back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom