Amazon Fire TV Box or Fire Stick

We love our Harmony remotes but they do not work with FireTV (Bluetooth). The new Harmony remotes do support Bluetooth but do not want to spend another $250/each. I'm going to try this device for $22. Seems to be a good solution for IR programmable remotes to control FireTV and other Bluetooth devices. Will use a USB extender cable to bring device from FireTV box (hidden) to in-line of sight for the IR Harmony remote. The FireTV remote is a great "simple" remote to navigate the FireTV but does not control volume and some other features we like when watching live TV. I'll let you know how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/FLIRC-Genera...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4DZDW0TK3CQD4V4EPWGZ

Got the FLIRC to work on my Harmony One and Harmony 880 remotes. The FLIRC can learn any IR remote button(s) that is not being used for that activity. So it is not just for the “fancy” programmable remote. Pretty cool device once you learn how it works. Well worth the $22. I’m going to order a 2nd one for the new FireTV box in the master bed room. Note this will not work on the FireTV stick (no USB). The biggest issue was I had to turn “OFF” the ADB Debugging option under the FireTV settings in Developers Options. I had to enable this to side-load Kodi, but the FLIRC will not work if this is left “ON”. Downloading the FLIRC SW onto my PC from their site was straight forward. Programming the FLIRC device with your remote was easy. Just face them toward each other and following the directions in the FLIRC SW. They have several remote options to map keys from your remote to different functions you want to use. I used the FireTV map for all the FireTV buttons, Kodi map for the “0 to 9” buttons to enter a channel and Keyboard map for page up/down which I use for the TV guide. I’m still playing around with the configuration and finding new buttons (functions) to add to meet our needs. So I’ll be dialing it in for the next few days. Bottom line it appears to work for me. Very happy to be back to "ONE" remote. :dance:

I've had fancy programmable remotes in the past. But that was back in the days I was controlling multiple devices... AVR, blu-ray, VCR, cable box, TV, CD player, and even a PC. Fire TV is our only input device now and I think the stock remote is amazing... feels good in the hand, small, minimalist, Alexa voice command. You can control volume on Kodi with the Fire TV remote, but everything else, you'll need another remote nearby. DW adapted to this process much easier than all my fancy remotes in the past. For me, the usefulness and elegance of the Fire TV remote outweighs the one glaring shortfall, which is its inability to adjust volume on the TV or AVR.

Back
Top Bottom