Ambien Death Rate Increase

It's good to have on hand anyway in case of severe allergic reaction to something, no?

Yes, two years ago our little half Shih Tzu/Japanese Chin had a reaction to her rabies vaccination. Saved an emergency vet trip with 1/2 a benedryl. Poor little thing, her fat little face puffed up all over. Looked like a freak of nature.

Works for people too.

I also have noticed that my sleep patterns are much better when I refrain from drinking. Even if I go to dinner and have only 2 or 3 drinks, I won't sleep well that night, and I may wake up at 3-4 AM and not fall back asleep. Or, if I partied a lot over the weekend, I won't sleep well Sunday night because my body isn't "used to" falling asleep naturally.

I'm going to put my Mom hat on here. I understand the issues in the earlier part of your post that I didn't quote; I've dealt with the crazy hours of travel, including time zone changes between the Midwest and Europe or India, and I've also used Ambien to deal with jet lag when I needed to be in the office and alert the next AM. And, like you, I can't get into the house or hotel at 10 PM and fall asleep instantly. Creating sleeping problems due to alcohol and then using Ambien to deal with them, though, is a classic example of where prevention would be better. I like my nightly glass of wine and I love a good sippin' whisky, but if I'm out at an event I alternate an alcoholic drink with a club soda or something else non-alcoholic. You might want to try something similar.

You're 25 and hopefully have many good years ahead of you. I offer this unsolicited advice because I saw my once brilliant and accomplished ex-husband finally die of alcohol abuse, in poverty and alienated from family. Moderation in all things.

Lifelong insomniac (i.e., insomnia would come in periods of weeks, then go away, then repeat the cycle). I learned to just accept it and was generally functional on little sleep. Main exception would be if I was at a lecture, movies, etc whether or not the subject was interesting to me. Then, I'd nod off to my wife's chagrin.
I finally gave in and got Ambien. I have the 10 mg dose, and cut it in half. But my old habits die hard, so I still sharply limit its use. If I get insomnia, I just get out of bed. 2 or 3 nights in a row, I'll then take that half-pill to get a good night's sleep.

Last edited:
I usually wake up at 3:30 AM for no good reason. This started 5-10 years ago. When I was working I got up at 4:30 so it wasn't a problem. When I embrace and accept it there no longer is any stress associated with it. Having on many occasions been on call getting phone calls or seeing patients in the middle of the night, I long ago forgot what a normal night's sleep is like. DH is a night owl. I think I wake up about 10 minutes before he comes to bed.

Even when I was working I learned not to fret about not sleeping, and I keep a book by my bedside when I can't sleep.

Personally I would rather not sleep and not take a benzodiazepine than take a pill to sleep. I'm also a good power napper so that really helps.

And when I drink I don't feel well the next day, unless it's just one glass of wine with dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I am currently in a 5 am wake up funk, which means about5- 6 hours of sleep. I just deal with it until it passes because I am not tired anyways. But about once every 3-4 months I get wide awake around 3 am. On those rare occasions I throw down a swig of NyQuil and I'm good through the rest of the night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was taking a half an Ambien maybe 10 times a month. After the report of the increase in broken hips by users my Dr. asked me to try going without.
I now use an herbal mix of valarian root, skullcap, and a few other items. Add a hit of melatonin when that doesn't do it.
Ambien made me groggy the next day and I can see how it would lead to an increase in falls and accidents.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I take 25mg benadryl occasionally (they sell it in the UK for sleep, here as a cold remedy).
The doc says my 1 benedryl a night is OK with him. I wake up and take it about 1pm since it's good for maybe 4 hours or so. My allergies tend to wake me up due to getting a slightly stuffed up nose. The sinuses are hard to control or predict.

I'll probably only use Ambien for jet lag and then only 1 night.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom