America is minting more millionaire retirees than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
This map does what you request for income (not wealth), and shows for example that CA and NY are middle and low income after accounting for COL.

Average Income and Cost of Living in Every State | Money

I hate to quote myself, but I looked at this again and they neglected the state/local tax burden. IMO, there is no way that NJ, MA, MD and CT are in the highest adjusted income group after accounting for both COL and tax burden.

Of course tax burden makes CA and NY even worse.

From the article:

Household income doesn’t count non-cash benefits and doesn’t account for property or personal income taxes, other deductions, or Social Security—so it’s not the same as take-home pay.

But that is the fundamental problem, news organizations decide "what" to report, and is so doing propagate their biases. Per David Burge, today "Journalism is about covering important stories. With a pillow, until they stop moving."

When the internet first came into homes, Cokie Roberts commented something to the effect of: "...but how will news people get to control what people know?..."

For me, having had direct, personal experience with CNN on a few occasions, I've come to believe that the only place left for any facts are in sports statistics and the daily market results. The rest of what we think of as news is twisted, massaged, implied or left unsaid to meet a particular agenda.

Even my own small town newspaper failed to mention a story last week because it looked bad for our mayor.

If more people did this (and it is easier now, with the Internet), I think they would be shocked by how twisted their 'news' sources are.

I’ve noted the opposite, at least with many Facebook “friends”, in that they specifically seek out “news” sources which mirror their beliefs. Posting links to opposing opinions just brings out the crickets.

A million bucks ain’t what it used to be, but it’s still nice to have!

Thanks for the interesting discussion. The thread has now moved well off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom