Android app broken?

Sojourner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I noticed this morning that the E-R.org app for Android isn't working properly on my Samsung tablet. When I open it, the splash screen appears for a few seconds and then I get two errors. "Network error, please try again later.", and "java.lang.RuntimeException: Register silent token failed". I have the latest version of the app from the Play Store. My tablet is running Android 11. All other apps seem to be working fine, so I don't think it's a problem with my tablet or network settings.

Works fine on my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone (which uses the Android app). Maybe you can uninstall and reinstall the app?

I'm typing this on my android via the app. It seems to work.

OK, thanks. Will try removing the app and reinstalling.

Well, still no luck. I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice, and restarted the tablet. Still getting exactly the same errors as before. This is a Galaxy Tab S6 lite running Android 11. I guess I'll contact the developers via the Play Store if the problem persists.

Finally figured out what the problem was. For some reason, all permissions had been disabled for the app in my settings. Once I enabled access to "storage" and "location", it started working properly. Not sure how those ever got disabled in the first place. Anyway, problem solved! :)

Thanks for reporting back.

Finally figured out what the problem was. For some reason, all permissions had been disabled for the app in my settings. Once I enabled access to "storage" and "location", it started working properly. Not sure how those ever got disabled in the first place. Anyway, problem solved! :)
Thanks Sojourner. Same thing happened to me and I used your fix above. All good now.

Last edited:
I just got a new phone, Google Pixel 6 running Android 12. I've been installing apps all day with no issues. The ER.org Android app installed OK. But opening it resulted in the exact same error messages that OP reported. I can't get past the splash page. I tried manually enabling the permissions as suggested. Still doesn't work. The app doesn't seem to want to run on this device.

Any suggestions?

I just got a new phone, Google Pixel 6 running Android 12. I've been installing apps all day with no issues. The ER.org Android app installed OK. But opening it resulted in the exact same error messages that OP reported. I can't get past the splash page. I tried manually enabling the permissions as suggested. Still doesn't work. The app doesn't seem to want to run on this device.

Any suggestions?

The only suggestion I have would be to uninstall the ER.org app, restart your phone, and then—before opening up the app—go into Settings and make sure "Storage" and "Location" permissions are enabled for the app. Then try starting the app.

The only suggestion I have would be to uninstall the ER.org app, restart your phone, and then—before opening up the app—go into Settings and make sure "Storage" and "Location" permissions are enabled for the app. Then try starting the app.

Thanks. Just tried that. Still won't run. I get the splash screen and then the same error messages you posted.

It's working fine on my older phone.

Thanks. Just tried that. Still won't run. I get the splash screen and then the same error messages you posted.

It's working fine on my older phone.

Hmmm. Maybe it's an Android 12 issue, then? Perhaps the app hasn't been updated for compatibility with 12.

Well, the app started working today. I never enabled the permissions. Just did a fresh install. Rebooted the phone before starting the app. Then after the reboot, it opened up fine. Still no permissions enabled. Evidently, they aren't required.

Thanks for letting us know.

Back
Top Bottom