Annoyed: Making an offer on a condo

When we sold our home on Bainbridge Island I interviewed several Realtors who had been recommended by others. I choose a guy who was honest and highly regarded by his peers. Not flashy, he had expectations of us to make our home the best on the market. We sold at the hight of the implosion. It took a while for that reason, he earned his fee. I would recommend him as a buyer's Realtor.

However we were contacted by Realtors who struck me as opportunists.

Tyro - I appreciate you trying to clarify but I don't think that's right.

Look up the definition on the internet of "many" and you'll see things like -

- The majority of people
- Numerous
- Multitude

I find no such definition, and it's a straw man argument anyway. Pb4uski did not say "all", and that is the core objection. Many -- a "large indefinite number" (from the majority of definitions I find) -- still agrees with my and others' experiences.

Tyro

Last edited:
I think that the situation of the buyer or seller weighs heaviy in this discussion. Someone like Calmloki has made real estate operation his occupation. He has experience, and also some market clout with agents, who if they are even somewhat smart will want to cultivate his repeat business. OTOH the typical buyer may well be a one-off experience for an agent. I looked for a condo with varying intensity for 3 years or so, an area excompassing maybe 3 or 4 zip codes. Partly it is just me, but partly I think one needs time to get the lay of the land, even though he has lived there for years. Real estate and neighborhood trends can change, and unless we are actively in the market, this is going to be beneath our radar. First I intended to only go to open houses, and negotiate directly with the seller's agent, and have my own att. handle the details if I decided to make an offer. Later, I did go around and let an agent I had met and liked show me some stuff. All of these informal relationships were enventually dropped for various reasons-one woman just didn't show up for our 3rd outing, one guy I had contacted for an auction and he fairly agressively tried to get me to sign an exclusive buyer's agent contract which given the very soft market I thought was absurd. One guy totally flat out lied to me about easily verifiable matters, and also had the gall to try to push me. One woman I got along with well, but eventually discovered two things--she had no ability to make a low offer with conviction, as she seemed embarrased by not playing according to the realtor/seller friendly rules of the boom years. She also did not understand procedures for dealing with bank owned property, or short sales.

When I finally bought, I had settled on a small contiguous area of maybe 8x8 blocks. One Sunday I was out walking with my woman friend and we stopped at an open house, liked the place and liked the seller's agent. I went about my business, no longer shopping other than the occasional open house, as I thought this place was too expensive and I was tiring of looking. But finally one day the agent called me and said the price had been lowered and the seller wanted to move. I gave her a low idea of what I could pay, and she said that they already had an offer of more. I told her that I could not pay more but that I could guarantee performance as I intended to pay cash. In order to expedite things she also sent me a copy of the condo reserve study that had been done that summer. From this I could see some issues to get handled, but nothing that would be a deal breaker in my mind. Anyway, I knew she was serious and realistic and that we could work cooperatively.

So I got my place, the agent got a larger commission than she would have had she had to split with a separate agent for me, but at the same time we freed some cash so that the seller would not have to bring a check to closing. Also the seller got to move on to her new life with no anxiety.

In very soft markets, I believe that a lot of useful information can come from the listing agent especially if you are even passably good with friendly interviewing techniques.

I felt it was a win-win for all three of us, and still feel that way.

Ha

I've had some bad luck in the past with this as well, but from the selling side. Sellers market, low inventory and apparently a lot of people looking to buy. We listed at what we agreed was a good price to get early action. Goal was to get a bidding war going to receive about $5,000 more than asking. Worst case, asking price was acceptable to us.

House went on the market Thursday at noon. By 3:00pm we had an offer 8K above asking waiving all contingencies (no inspection, no appraisal) bringing 25% cash. Too good to be true? It had an expiration of 9pm and verbiage requiring us to take home off market and not entertain any other offers. We accepted. By Sunday, they dropped under the new 3 day rule. Our best guess is that they put a similar offer on multiple other homes the same weekend and went with the one they liked best (frustrating to say the least).

We asked that the realtor not accept similar offers for the following weekend unless they are represented by a realtor he knew and had a good feeling about. House went back on the market Wednesday and we got another offer $2,500 above asking, waiving inspection contingency (why on earth people would wave this is beyond me... maybe a red flag?) Who are we to complain? Same thing, offer only good until Friday 9pm and house must be removed from market. This time Realtor knew other realtor and was in house while the family walked it. Said they were in love with it.

Our Realtor told us that he knew at least 3 others were in the process of writing up offers but that none of them were likely to be as good as this one. So we accepted it.

Turns out that family was pushed into submitting the offer without inspection by their Realtor who told them they needed to act fast or would lose out. They were nervous and got cold feet. Cancelled contract under 3 day rule again Sunday.

So there we were, on the market for 17 days and still hadn't had a single open house. The following weekend we went under contract for asking price, but were pressured by our Realtor being told that we look like a lemon now because of our bad luck with the first two offers falling through. Wait, didn't you say we had like 5 people on the line the first couple weekends? He essentially told us our plan to get $5K above asking was thwarted by getting unlucky (luck, right...). I often wonder what would have happened if the "game" wasn't played by the Realtor and all the people wanting to buy the house were met face to face by us. If we had actually had a legitimate opening house weekend I'm pretty sure we would have ended up with 5K more...

you live and learn. No matter how nice Realtors seem as people the incentives don't align (that said, I know there are plenty of good ones out there). They want you to sell as low as possible to make less work for them... they want you to buy as high as possible to make less work for them. Hard to get a good deal without feeling like you are punishing them, the way they play things.

Last edited:
My real estate agent is a retired preacher that married us 33 years ago. Very honest and ethical. And no matter which side of the transaction we are on, buying or selling, I have my minimum/maximum price predetermined and I do not disclose it.

If I am a buyer and there are multiple offers, I might remove contingencies on my offer, but I am not going to move on the price unless I get a counter offer.

NEVER FALL IN LOVE WITH REAL ESTATE!

If I am a buyer and there are multiple offers, I might remove contingencies on my offer, but I am not going to move on the price unless I get a counter offer.

NEVER FALL IN LOVE WITH REAL ESTATE!
I don't qutie understand what you are saying here. As a buyer, you are not going ot get any offers. Have you managed to get the seller to show you her other offers?

I'm sure there is something I do not understand here, can you explain?

Last edited:
I don't qutie understand what you are saying here. As a buyer, you are not going ot get any offers. Have you managed to get the seller to show you her other offers?

I'm sure there is something I do not understand here, can you explain?

All depends on whether you are in a buyers' or sellers' market.

In a buyers market, I would always make a low ball offer, and wait for the seller to counter offer. The the fun begins, until a mutually acceptable strike price is reached.

In a sellers market, you are competing with other buyers, so best offer with the least conditions will win out. Unless of course the seller decides to go to auction, in which case you are in a bidding war with other buyers

All depends on whether you are in a buyers' or sellers' market.

In a buyers market, I would always make a low ball offer, and wait for the seller to counter offer. The the fun begins, until a mutually acceptable strike price is reached.

In a sellers market, you are competing with other buyers, so best offer with the least conditions will win out. Unless of course the seller decides to go to auction, in which case you are in a bidding war with other buyers
Yes, I think I misunderstood what heevy said. After your post, I think what he meant was that he won't move on this price unless the seller counters him with a binding offer. I understand this.

I basically do not do sellers' markets. I have nothing against renting, and I imagine that when all costs are in, renting is likely cheaper and certainly a lot easier. So my plan would always be to rent until someone needed my liquidity.

A rational man will always be outbid by the good-job holding young couples and other starry eyed buyers that abound in hot markets. If you win a bidding war, you may well damage your financial position.

Ha

Last edited:
Apologies if my view was obtuse. If I am a seller, I have my asking price, which I know I am unlikely to get in full if I have priced the property correctly, unless I am very lucky to have multiple people in a bidding competition. I also have my bottom line sale price which I will not go any lower. I do not reveal this number to anyone.

The same strategy applies if I am a buyer, I have a top dollar figure I will pay and there is no way that I will ever share that with a real estate agent. If I am a buyer and have made an offer, and then I am told there is another offer, I do not change my bid - I may eliminate a financing contingency, or an inspection option, or offer the seller more time to vacate.

Apologies if my view was obtuse. If I am a seller, I have my asking price, which I know I am unlikely to get in full if I have priced the property correctly, unless I am very lucky to have multiple people in a bidding competition. I also have my bottom line sale price which I will not go any lower. I do not reveal this number to anyone.

The same strategy applies if I am a buyer, I have a top dollar figure I will pay and there is no way that I will ever share that with a real estate agent. If I am a buyer and have made an offer, and then I am told there is another offer, I do not change my bid - I may eliminate a financing contingency, or an inspection option, or offer the seller more time to vacate.
Yes, when you said "unless I see another offer", I thought you meant that your own eyes confirmed the existence and details of this offer. This struck me as unlikely to happen, and probably illegal if it did. Bsíng about nonexistant "other offers"is a cheap lie for the seller's agent, as how is she going to get caught? And what can happen if somehow she is caught?

As I said, I will not compete during a hot market. And I never would eliminate the need for a careful inspection, and in the case of a condo receipt of the Condo Sales document including a thrid party reserve study. IMO way better to lose a place that you may like than to get stuck with a big bill, or worse, an impediment to eventual resale.

On another topic, I think that the technique outlined in one of Calmloki's posts where an unscrupulous buyer will make offers on multiple properties then kill whichever ones he does not want really stinks. Another poster said that s/he had been victimized by this tactic.

Ha

Last edited:
I have had great success using RE agents to sell RE. In fact, all my bad experiences have been with the suspect practices of other listing agents when I have been attempting to purchase. Aside from the impending event close that all realtors tend to overuse, my buyers agents have been stirling.

Back
Top Bottom