Annual Review time

By the way, my 'verticalization' comment was not in reference to socially retarded people that are good at doing some single activity while barely being able to maintain some level of human sentience.

I was more referring to someone who a decent employee with a solid singular strength yet might lag in other areas. When I was a manager in IT I had two guys that were pretty good employees. One could write more bulletproof professional documentation 3x the speed of anyone else and one was the very best meeting organizer i've ever met. Neither one was a developer type or best suited for dealing with customer service issues. So I'd couple the documentation guy with a group of 8 engineers knocking out a project and have him do all the documentation. The engineers could focus on the work while the documenter kept all the paperwork consistent, of good quality and done on time. I'd have the "meeting guy" organize and drive all the group meetings. We always had a solid agenda, meetings ran on time, they stayed organized, and we finished on time with the deliverables we walked into the meeting to obtain.

Yet there was often criticism that "that guy only does xxx although he's very good at it...but he's not as good as this other guy that does 4 different things at a mediocre level".

I disagreed. A focused function made the most of that individuals skills and abilities in the areas where they were superlative and freed other employees who were less skilled (but still capable) to focus on THEIR areas of expertise.

Note that I continued to press people to develop in areas they were less comfortable or proficient in.

I'll have to make a football analogy here...my hometown Patriots have made a pretty good case for building a system that relies on people with very specific skills to do a very specific set of things within a very specific part of the field, rather than trying to develop players who are outstanding athletes and have them running all over the field trying to make big plays. In their system, fairly unexciting athletes and often street free agents can be plugged in, asked to do a few specific but important things, and exist within the systems framework, relying on others around them to do their job.

And they win.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I disagreed. A focused function made the most of that individuals skills and abilities in the areas where they were superlative and freed other employees who were less skilled (but still capable) to focus on THEIR areas of expertise.
So, a guy made the group better than they were before the guy arrived?

Sounds like teamwork...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
[snips]

I'll have to make a football analogy here...my hometown Patriots have made a pretty good case for building a system that relies on people with very specific skills to do a very specific set of things within a very specific part of the field, rather than trying to develop players who are outstanding athletes and have them running all over the field trying to make big plays.

And they win.

Go bears.

:D

(Not because of your dialog, I just have a fiver on it at work!)

Nords said:
So, a guy made the group better than they were before the guy arrived?

Sounds like teamwork...

Kinda hard to argue with that.

I'm with you on the bears.

(Not a big blame my offensive line for the loss peyton manning fan here)

DRiP Guy said:
Please do understand that I don't want to argue with you. If it is rational in totality for that business, then super.

But I would offer that it is possible that other companies (not yours, it seems) have actually subconsciously built more expensive infrastructure (incrementally more HR, extra security, more total engineering staff, higher ratio of managers that extend to lower levels, less strategic flexibility, less bottom up innovation, higher turn over of the frustrated more mobile and salable engineers who DO present the desirable 'complete package' to other employers) by being accepting of the unstated proposition that 'special' technical talents ought to be forgiven of the norms and standards we expect of even our clerical staff.

I liken it to a twenty-something who throws a ton of money into fixing up a $500 dollar car, because it was given to them 'free' by a family member. That 'free' car might end up costing a ton, in being unreliable, and still not even satisfy the new owner at the end of the day, since they felt compelled to stay with it, being 'free' and all, and not because they made a unbiased decision to select that car over other alternatives.

That's really the only point of (hopeful) value I had for replying in this thread. Folks can take it or not, depending on their own estimate of it's worth.

Argue away, my friend! You go out of your way to be polite, I think it would take an blockhead to take your posts offensively. :)

Laurence said:
Argue away, my friend! You go out of your way to be polite, I think it would take an blockhead to take your posts offensively. :)

beermugjg2.jpg

Oh and did I mention:

gobearsbw5.jpg

Go Bears!

thumbsupuf8.jpg

I thought I was happily out of the PA business until I sold out to "bigger" company. (Root canal seems more appealing)

Sent this around today (a few sensitive edits):

To all,

One of the many perks of being back in the corporate world, performance appraisals! It was a good 6 years while it lasted. Let me start by saying I think that everyone is doing an equally great job and that is how I will “score” things. If you weren’t doing a great job you wouldn’t be here, and I’ve never been one for ranking people beyond that. Sorry, just not me. Heck, everyone deserves a medal for just hanging in and surviving the acquisition last year.

The way this works is you fill out your appraisal on-line. Each of you should have a user ID and password to log in. Since there were no specific Job Description goals for 2006 you can simply say “not applicable” when asked about meeting goals. They do want us to fill out the performance section (how well you play with others, etc). I am supposed to have two co-workers (they could also be customers, XXX or YYY people) fill out an appraisal for each of you as well. Seems overkill for our small group but them’s the rules. Then I fill one out. We can always tweak things afterwards, it’s not a one shot deal.

I dread all of this but as my fictitious hero says: “takin it off Boss, puttin it on Boss”. Just give me a shout with any questions. Hopefully this won’t take too long.

The 'You are all good, so I'm not ranking you' approach won't wash at all with my Megacorp. In fact, on a tiny bit of overall money, I am expected to show distinct differences in ratings and in raises between my staff. While I find the process distasteful, I would find it even more distasteful to just say "Everyone's important" and that's it.

Each of my staff can develop in areas that are unique to them. Each of them has strengths that ought to be encouraged. Each did something special that I want to point out that I saw and made note of. Each one deserves a chance to sit with me for a good chunk of some rare 'face time' and not only be appraised, but to appraise me and our department as well. Typically at least one is lagging enough that I want to draw their attention to specific observations/feedback I got (and discussed with them during the year), that I now explore if this is something we both agree needs correction.

I try to use the annual review for discussion on all of these.

So to that part, I do try to get whatever good can be gotten from it. But the Megacorp formalisms, politics, and 'boundaries' for raises, promotions and such, is what I hate, myself.

There are people who are a fit for megacorp and folks who do their best in an entrepreunal setting.

Since you have been acquired consider whether or not you are a good fit for the long term, and maybe who in your team are similarly situated. I am not suggesting that you don't comply with megacorp's policies and practices, just that you may want to start planning your next move. The acquisition agreement may tie you there for a while, but the best course is the one YOU control.

Brat said:
There are people who are a fit for megacorp and folks who do their best in an entrepreunal setting.

Since you have been acquired consider whether or not you are a good fit for the long term, and maybe who in your team are similarly situated. I am not suggesting that you don't comply with megacorp's policies and practices, just that you may want to start planning your next move. The acquisition agreement may tie you there for a while, but the best course is the one YOU control.

Brat,

We knew well before we closed this wouldn't be a good long term fit for most of us but like you say, that's pretty typical of a startup culture clashing with corp beuracracy. I actually spent the first few months fighting the new rules (dumb SLK mistake) but I've actually gotten pretty good at the yes sir boss man compliance thing. Actually compared to VC's, sweating out payroll, and the occasional abusive customer, the current life is not that bad, and certainly not unexpected. We always do our best for investors whether they be ourselves, angels, VC's or John Q public.

Final vesting pretty much coinsides with our older one graduating from HS, then off for a new adventure. One of my partners is headed to Juno, another to San Diego, and me to the North Carolina coast. We like to think of it as branching out.

In the mean time we still have our crtical Friday afternoon six pack reviews. They are just in addition to the 20 hours per week spent in conf call meetings with the home office. :)

TargaDave said:
Actually compared to VC's, sweating out payroll, and the occasional abusive customer, the current life is not that bad, and certainly not unexpected. We always do our best for investors whether they be ourselves, angels, VC's or John Q public.

Beware the.... [insert eerie horror flick theme music here]

"Curse of the Golden Handcuffs!"

(Usually thought of in terms of individual contributor, but I can also see it being applied to an entire entrepenurial-thinking entity, as well. There is a reason the term includes 'handcuffs'...)

Gag...performance reviews... :-X :-X :-X

I can only hope I escape this joint before I have to do them...in fact that is a major reason for my chosen date.

Trying to do one that meets the HR ideology vs reality and within the constraints of the merit budgets is nothing short of insane; which is defined as doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

I gave up spending much time on the details in PFs. The tiny percent differences in merit pay between a really good performed and one that is averge is not worth the effort. Most people do a good job because that is what they do and who they are. Slackers get less and the really exceptional people get a bit more but Mega Corp requires you stay within your very tight budget and that prevents you from being fair since you have to take from some to give to others. Not much motivation for anyone for a few $$ a month.

There is nothing that makes putting up with sh*t easier than an exit plan. While you are thinking about that you might as well check out the fire exits too. Sit down with a CPA (after tax return time) who is familiar with the financial issues of someone in your position, it can get tricky. Golden handcuffs are not always worth what they are cracked up to be. If a recruiter knocked on your door know what it would take for you to cross the street.

I don't know if you are now working for a megacorp, but in many years of watching businesses I have learned that in technology watch where sales reps go when they leave, and keep an eye on the CFO. ;)

Example: sales reps left Floating Point for Sun. [boy does that date me]

Ugh, my buddy didn't get that Director of IT job, some lady who has never worked in IT got it - she's apparently real popular with the chief executive, though. And no, I don't mean that way! I just mean she's politically connected. Ugh.

I'll find out in April what my raise is...we'll see if my lobbying effort paid off. I got a top level executive to write me a glowing review involving words like, "single handedly rescued operations at site x" etc. I've told my management what I'm expecting - not hoping for, expecting. So we'll see. Gotta love mega-corp.

Laurence said:
..I'll find out in April what my raise is...we'll see if my lobbying effort paid off. I got a top level executive to write me a glowing review involving words like, "single handedly rescued operations at site x" etc. I've told my management what I'm expecting - not hoping for, expecting. So we'll see. Gotta love mega-corp.

That ought to be worth a couple tenths of a percent above the average merit payout.

Sorry about the politics...welcome to MegaCorp where all your dreams become nightmares.

SteveR said:
That ought to be worth a couple tenths of a percent above the average merit payout.

Sorry about the politics...welcome to MegaCorp where all your dreams become nightmares.

You know it is too much when the formerly funny "Dilbert" and "Office Space" just leaving you going: "...and?" these days, because it is so close to your true everyday life that you are immunized from the humor. :-[

I used to wonder if Scott Adams had slipped microphones into the ventilation shafts at my Megacorp offices.

You guys would absolutely love the military's officer fitness reporting & enlisted evaluation system...

Nords said:
You guys would absolutely love the military's officer fitness reporting & enlisted evaluation system...

Been dere/done dat.

The best militarese language I think I ever read was in John Delvechio's (sp?) "The Thirteenth Valley" where the troops invent a bogus citation for a medal. I won't even try to paraphrase it, I couldn't do it justice, but if you ever get a chance to read the book, you'll bust a gut. (You'll have other feelings, too, but that's another story. Altogether.)

Can't say as I miss OER's and Evals. It is interesting how they military evals affect both the evaluator and the evaluee. In the Health care orginization we can be 60 days late and still not catch any flack. Try that in any service branch and kiss your carreer good by. ;) ;) ;) ;)

USK Coastie said:
Can't say as I miss OER's and Evals. It is interesting how they military evals affect both the evaluator and the evaluee. In the Health care orginization we can be 60 days late and still not catch any flack. Try that in any service branch and kiss your carreer good by. ;) ;) ;) ;)

MegaCorp is quite insistent upon timely completion of evals. We have zero tolerance beyond the defined period which is usually 2 weeks. The merit budgets hit payroll at the end of two weeks and if the paper is not signed by both parties...no merit increase...now that is motivation.

One division of a megacorp doesn't give managers THEIR merit increase until they have completed all their evals. Now that is incentive!!

I just got my inital performance review. My branch of the gov't uses only two ratings: Acceptable, and unacceptabe.

I told my boss that I perform at superior or excellent and would have to slow down a bit to earn my acceptable.

The Army National Guard had a huge problem with late evaluation reports. I once went almost 3 years without one. Then got a letter from military personnel telling me I had better get one done. I was an O3 at the time, my rater was an O6. I had no success ordering him to get to work.

I just remembered that I have an annual review coming up soon and I can't wait to put retirement under goals and objectives. :LOL: :LOL:

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom