Annual SS/Medicare Letter

Another Reader

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If I recall correctly, every year I get a letter stating my Social Security payment and the Medicare payment for the following year, including IRMAA deductions. I thought this letter came around November 1st. Am I wrong, or should I watch Informed Delivery for its' arrival?

My husband normally gets it in late Dec, sometimes not until Jan.

Last year I got mine on 11/18/22 and the year before on 11/27/21. I pulled them off the SS site. I'm not talking about a hard copy letter in the mail.

Seemed like it was mid to late Nov. We are expecting a letter any day now.

I know the Jan Medicare bill has to paid by Dec 25, so it’s possible we got it early Dec.

You should have gotten a letter or an email from SSA saying the letter with your benefit amount will be available in December.

You should have gotten a letter or an email from SSA saying the letter with your benefit amount will be available in December.

You get a letter telling you that you will get a letter? Haven’t seen that from Medicare. Letter or email.

Today’s Medicare letter in the mail was the Dec bill. I’m thinking that this time in Dec was when we got the new year info.

You get a letter telling you that you will get a letter? Haven’t seen that from Medicare. Letter or email.

Today’s Medicare letter in the mail was the Dec bill. I’m thinking that this time in Dec was when we got the new year info.

Audrey,
The OP asked about their Social Security benefit amount and when the notice comes.

Medicare has my email address and I did receive an email telling me that the benefit letter wouldn't be available before early December. I also get emails reminding me I need to think about my Medicare Advantage plan, how to avoid fraud, etc. The following from the SSA website: https://blog.ssa.gov/social-security-benefits-increase-in-2024/

"obtain your Social Security COLA notice online using the Message Center in your personal account. You can access this information in early December, prior to receiving the mailed notice. Benefit amounts will not be available before December. Since you will receive the COLA notice online or in the mail, you don’t need to contact us to get your new benefit amount."

It was the last week of November last year.

OK thanks for that. We’ll keep a look out. And check on line.

We’ve already calculated of course, But DH doesn’t schedule the payments until he gets that info.

OK thanks for that. We’ll keep a look out. And check on line.

We’ve already calculated of course, But DH doesn’t schedule the payments until he gets that info.

Updated online today.

My Dad's "benefit verification" letter shows his 2024 numbers today.

I don't know why, but it includes a note about his Medicare Part B subtraction amount but not his Medicare Part D subtraction amount. He's on a Medicare Advantage plan, maybe that's why?

My Dad's "benefit verification" letter shows his 2024 numbers today.

I don't know why, but it includes a note about his Medicare Part B subtraction amount but not his Medicare Part D subtraction amount. He's on a Medicare Advantage plan, maybe that's why?

Yes, his Part D is probably included in his Medicare Advantage plan. That said, you can buy MA without a Part D, but can't have a standalone Part D and Medicare Advantage.

- Rita

[...]We’ve already calculated of course [...]

Me, too, and I've entered the calculated amounts into my Excel spending spreadsheet for 2024 already. When I get the official amounts I'll double-check and make sure they are the same, and if not then correct my spreadsheet. (PS - - sounds like I can check that online today! :D)

And people ask, "What will you do all day in retirement?" :LOL:

Actually I kind of like doing stuff like this, because it reassures me that the computations on both sides are correct. And why should I even care? Guess I have a very slight, tiny tendency towards OCD when it comes to money since I do depend on it.

I have to free up cash in DH’s HSA account to cover next year’s Medicare premiums. So I calculate the numbers, I like to take care of this in Nov as Jan payment is due in Dec.

Updated online today.

Didn’t find any 2024 Medicare Premiums info. Where to look for this on Medicare.gov?

We see the 2023 message and letter from 11/23/22 on SSA.gov, so maybe we have to wait another week.

Last edited:
Didn’t find any 2024 Medicare Premiums info. Where to look for this on Medicare.gov?

We see the 2023 message and letter from 11/23/22 on SSA.gov, so maybe we have to wait another week.

Mine is not yet updated either. They seem to do it batches. My DH and I always get updates on different days. It will be in your message box.

Batches plus DH pays IRMAA which might affect when his letter is posted?

I have to free up cash in DH’s HSA account to cover next year’s Medicare premiums. So I calculate the numbers, I like to take care of this in Nov as Jan payment is due in Dec.

So you can pay Medicare premiums with HSA?

You get an email informing you of when you'll be able to log into your account and see your new rate information.

I got a false alarm email from SSA.gov five days ago on the 12th. It said that my new SS Statement was now available online.

But those statements are for folks who have not yet claimed SS and want to check their earnings history and projected benefit.
I'm 73 and claimed SS a while ago, so when I logged in to my SS, there was nothing for me, no updated benefit amount.

Ten minutes of wasted time...

Me, too, and I've entered the calculated amounts into my Excel spending spreadsheet for 2024 already. When I get the official amounts I'll double-check and make sure they are the same, and if not then correct my spreadsheet. (PS - - sounds like I can check that online today! :D)

And people ask, "What will you do all day in retirement?" :LOL:

Actually I kind of like doing stuff like this, because it reassures me that the computations on both sides are correct. And why should I even care? Guess I have a very slight, tiny tendency towards OCD when it comes to money since I do depend on it.

Same here. I have a spreadsheet to calculate my SS amounts.

I got a false alarm email from SSA.gov five days ago on the 12th. It said that my new SS Statement was now available online.

But those statements are for folks who have not yet claimed SS and want to check their earnings history and projected benefit.
I'm 73 and claimed SS a while ago, so when I logged in to my SS, there was nothing for me, no updated benefit amount.

Ten minutes of wasted time...

I should mention that my main curiosity in getting this eventual letter on my new SS payment isn't the new gross SS amount, it's the amount they deduct from it for my IRMAA tier. I'm hoping they get that IRMAA amount right...

So you can pay Medicare premiums with HSA?
Yes, Medicare part B and part D premiums including IRMAA are HSA eligible expenses.

We use billpay directly to CMS Medicare from DH’s Fidelity HSA account. Medicare has instructions about what info to use with bank billpay and that’s what we followed. We schedule a year’s worth of payments at a time. It’s sent electronically. Works well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom