Another Spousal Social Security Benefit Question

If so, then I stand corrected. :)

It seems incredible to me that they wouldn't also reduce the spousal benefit if the primary worker collects early.

I always learn something new here.

The spousal benefit does not rise in tandem after their FRA the maximum is 50% of the spouse's number at FRA.So it kinds of balances out.

Using https://opensocialsecurity.com/ , I got the following results. But this seems to be indicating a plan that is no longer allowed due to the closed loophole (deeming?). So is the calculator not up to date with the closed loopholes or am I missing something?

The strategy that maximizes the total dollars you can be expected to spend over your lifetimes is as follows:
•Your spouse files for his/her retirement benefit to begin 7/2018, at age 63 and 6 months. (Monthly benefit: $763)
•You file for your spousal benefit to begin 7/2018, at age 66 and 2 months. (Monthly benefit: $464)
•You file for your retirement benefit to begin 5/2022, at age 70 and 0 months. (Monthly benefit: $3,536, replacing your spousal benefit)
•Your spouse files for his/her spousal benefit to begin 5/2022, at age 67 and 4 months. (Monthly benefit: $412, in addition to his/her monthly retirement benefit)
•If your spouse outlives you, his/her total benefit (including survivor benefit) would be $3,536 per month -- assuming he/she waits at least until full retirement age to file for that survivor benefit.

If those are the dates and ages, then the loophole does not appear to be closed for you.

Thanks for that little inconvenient truth. As I understand it, DW is eligible for a spousal benefit on my record as well as her own. DW must file for both benefits. She can no longer file only for the spousal benefit and delay filing for her own retirement. She will receive a combination of the two benefits that equals the higher amount.
... she will receive the higher benefit, not both

Last edited:
If those are the dates and ages, then the loophole does not appear to be closed for you.

My spouse turned 62 in Jan 2017. Here is a quote from SSA.gov...

Who will be affected? If you turn 62 on or after January 2, 2016, and will be eligible for benefits both as a retired worker and as a spouse (or divorced spouse), then the new law applies to you.

My spouse turned 62 in Jan 2017. Here is a quote from SSA.gov...

Who will be affected? If you turn 62 on or after January 2, 2016, and will be eligible for benefits both as a retired worker and as a spouse (or divorced spouse), then the new law applies to you.

I'm not seeing the conflict here:

•Your spouse files for his/her retirement benefit to begin 7/2018, at age 63 and 6 months. (Monthly benefit: $763) This is allowed because your spouse can file for benefits on his/her own record at any eligible age. He/she cannot file for spousal because you haven't yet filed for your own benefit.
•You file for your spousal benefit to begin 7/2018, at age 66 and 2 months. (Monthly benefit: $464)This is allowed because you turned 62 prior to 1/2/2016, so you are allowed to file for spousal without being deemed to file for your own benefit too.
•You file for your retirement benefit to begin 5/2022, at age 70 and 0 months. (Monthly benefit: $3,536, replacing your spousal benefit)This is allowed because you are of age and did not claim your own benefit in 7/2018.
•Your spouse files for his/her spousal benefit to begin 5/2022, at age 67 and 4 months. (Monthly benefit: $412, in addition to his/her monthly retirement benefit)This is allowed because now that you are collecting your own benefit, the spousal benefit has become available to your spouse.

I'm not seeing the conflict here:

•Your spouse files for his/her retirement benefit to begin 7/2018, at age 63 and 6 months. (Monthly benefit: $763) This is allowed because your spouse can file for benefits on his/her own record at any eligible age. He/she cannot file for spousal because you haven't yet filed for your own benefit.
•You file for your spousal benefit to begin 7/2018, at age 66 and 2 months. (Monthly benefit: $464)This is allowed because you turned 62 prior to 1/2/2016, so you are allowed to file for spousal without being deemed to file for your own benefit too.
•You file for your retirement benefit to begin 5/2022, at age 70 and 0 months. (Monthly benefit: $3,536, replacing your spousal benefit)This is allowed because you are of age and did not claim your own benefit in 7/2018.
•Your spouse files for his/her spousal benefit to begin 5/2022, at age 67 and 4 months. (Monthly benefit: $412, in addition to his/her monthly retirement benefit)This is allowed because now that you are collecting your own benefit, the spousal benefit has become available to your spouse.

Cool! :dance: Thanks so much for the detailed explanation.

I filled out the form online for my spouse to claim spousal benefits as of October...his FRA month. I received an email verifying the application was submitted that day. I received an email 10 days later that the application was pending.....on "step 2 of 3". The next email requested the SSA-3 Marriage Certification form signed by me (his spouse). It also mentioned an earnings stmt (tax return or W-2).

We dropped this paperwork off at our local SS office this morning. If that's all it takes, it was pretty easy. We will sit tight and hope they have what they need.

By the way........we've heard horror stories about visiting an actual Soc Security office: long lines, long wait times, etc. Twice we have visited ours and it was so quick and a very easy process. Just saying. Hope I don't have to re-think that at a later date !!!

Back
Top Bottom