Another thread on homeowner's insurance increases

For b, I use an independent agent and pay the insurance company directly. Does this vary by state?

I’ve used an independent agent since 2015. Since then, I’ve been insured with two different companies, three different times.

I’ve always used the same company for home/auto/umbrella coverage. I prefer to keep them all with one company to make it easier, plus you usually get a discount.

Regardless if you stick with USAA, it doesn’t hurt to talk to an independent agent and see what they can offer.

+1. Since the days of my grandad our family have used the same insurance agent. A few years ago they saved us over $1700 by switching to a different homeowners company (we lived oceanfront at the time and some underwriter got nervous about rising tides.)

This coming year our homeowners went up $3 a month.

An added plus: they also go to the DMV for you at no charge for most registration issues. A chore that I'd rather have root canal.

Last edited:
my home and car insurance went up from 2400 in 2022 to 3600 in 2023 and my agent said the premium for 2024 was going to be 4600. I got quotes from two other insurance companies that were 1200 dollars cheaper. Does anyone here use cincinnati insurance or american family insurance and what is your experience with them? thanks for any input.

frank

my home and car insurance went up from 2400 in 2022 to 3600 in 2023 and my agent said the premium for 2024 was going to be 4600. I got quotes from two other insurance companies that were 1200 dollars cheaper. Does anyone here use cincinnati insurance or american family insurance and what is your experience with them? thanks for any input.

frank

I have used American Family in the past and they were excellent.

+1. Since the days of my grandad our family have used the same insurance agent. A few years ago they saved us over $1700 by switching to a different homeowners company (we lived oceanfront at the time and some underwriter got nervous about rising tides.)

This coming year our homeowners went up $3 a month.

An added plus: they also go to the DMV for you at no charge for most registration issues. A chore that I'd rather have root canal.

I would imagine that you are not in Florida?!?!

I just received my home insurance premium, I'm in Florida.
This year the premium was $2,332, next year they want $6,338.
That is a 271% increase. I'm sick.

I'll shop, but, I think everyone is getting the same increases

I just received my home insurance premium, I'm in Florida.
This year the premium was $2,332, next year they want $6,338.
That is a 271% increase. I'm sick.
That’s steep, even for Florida. It does make sense to at least check other insurers.

I'll shop, but, I think everyone is getting the same increases

We got ours 2 years ago.

That’s steep, even for Florida. It does make sense to at least check other insurers.

We got ours 2 years ago.

We were hit my Hurricane Michael, my insurance company went bankrupt about 2 years later and another company took over with a reasonable increase. Now 3 or 4 years later they have the huge increase..

Mine is due in 7 days. We’ll pay $1885 annually and that includes a $3m umbrella as well. $1m dwelling Colorado.
ASI Progressive

Last edited:
I posted on another thread that my USAA homeowner's premium didn't increase by a single penny. Easy to tell as DW has kept a spreadsheet on all of our premiums for decades. Might help to know that I've been a member since 1970, but that's offset by living in one of the highest COL areas in the country. I also had a massive $350K claim back in 2014, when a storm ripped off our second-story roof, & then dumped 6" of rain into the house. No claims since then. My auto premium went down by 7.2% for 3 vehicles. We're staying with USAA!

I posted on another thread that my USAA homeowner's premium didn't increase by a single penny. Easy to tell as DW has kept a spreadsheet on all of our premiums for decades. Might help to know that I've been a member since 1970, but that's offset by living in one of the highest COL areas in the country. I also had a massive $350K claim back in 2014, when a storm ripped off our second-story roof, & then dumped 6" of rain into the house. No claims since then. My auto premium went down by 7.2% for 3 vehicles. We're staying with USAA!

When I lived in Hawaii, USAA was even cheaper than California!

I was paying 3500 annually and this year it went up to 4600. I checked with three different insurance companies and no one would do anything with me. I waited a month or so after getting the hefty increase and started getting offers from other companies in the mail. I then called them and said go ahead with a quote if you want. the quotes brought me back to 3500 annually for home and auto. If I hadn't purchased a 2023 rav4 I would probably be back where I was two years ago. it pays to shop around.

Just got my homeowner's insurance renewal and much to my amazement it went down a little over 5% from last year. So it seems that sometimes these annual adjustments can actually be in your favor!

Back
Top Bottom