Any men here experienced a hydrocele?

John, I have to ask, does yours get a bit larger in the evening and does the constant heaviness ever go away. Any suggestions for management as I am exploring support garments. The traditional Jock strap is just too tight and begins to hurt and be uncomfortable wearing all day long. I have tried icing and it helps but my goodness the indignity of it all! Heat seems to relieve the mild discomfort , OTC meds?? How long before you learned to live with the new appendage, It's playing psychological on me as I am more guarded about workouts and even simple driving is different. I guess I'm having a difficult time grasping that leaving it alone is an option but it sure sounds like you have come to terms with the discomfort involved.

It is so unnoticeable to me now that I don't even know if it changes size throughout the day. It never was painful. No kicked-in-the groin experience for me. Yes, at first it was uncomfortable, but not painful. Driving made it quite noticeable. Tight underwear or loose, didn't matter. By the way, driving, and everything else doesn't bother it these days. Totally acclimated. I spent hours (more like weeks) on the internet researching it. It felt much better after I got the 'OK' from my urologist, got the ultrasound from the sexy nurse, and I knew it was officially 'not a problem'. But I would say it took about 3 years for everything to get 'reset' in the sac and for it to feel 'normal'. Does not affect my s*x life. It does show, though. There is a medium sized bulge on my lower abdomen just above the right orb. (Haven't had a s*x life for years, ha ha, but lately I am lucky in that arena, and everything's fine) If you have pain, I guess you could check out all those 'draining' options, surgery, etc. Lots of info online about it, even Youtube videos. And there was a forum that talked about it, with specific treatments, results, doctor recommendations, etc. I think 'hydrocele' may have been in the name of the forum. Good luck!

I had my hydrocele removed about a decade ago. No big deal, except that my (now-former) urologist forgot to sew everything up, & I had to go back under anesthesia while he finished the job. He sent me a bill, & I had my lawyer send it back, with a short note about malpractice, & a bill for $250K....
And how did that work out?

I wish I hadn't taken a peek at this thread. I've never paid much attention to my scrotum, and this is as it should be. :)

I wish I hadn't taken a peek at this thread. I've never paid much attention to my scrotum, and this is as it should be. :)

You may want to rethink that. Testicular cancer nearly killed Lance Armstrong.

I have to agree with Braumeister - you really should pay attention. Several years back, after literally years of ignoring recurring bouts of pain that grew increasingly excruciating, I finally went to the urologist. After much scanning, poking and prodding (including a cytoscopy without anesthesia - owwww!), they could not say for sure, but thought there could be a problem with the epididymis. However, they would need to cut me open to take a look. A good thing they did, because, lo and behold, there was a weird tumor in there. They fetched it out and things have been great ever since. And the whole not dying thing is pretty splendid, too.

Last edited:
Nice to see the thread turning from castration to self-examination! Really, anyone reading this thread, please take the time once a week in the shower or wherever it works for you to do a quick self exam, get to know how everything looks down there so you can feel and see any changes. We are way behind the maturity level that woman have reached with Breast awareness/screening. There are a handful of conditions that can occur and a couple like a torsion or truncation can be serious and life threatening. The Lance Armstrong Book is an excellent read BTW, read it many years ago while going thru a head and neck cancer, really an inspiring book for anyone facing that horrible disease.

Nice to see the thread turning from castration to self-examination! Really, anyone reading this thread, please take the time once a week in the shower or wherever it works for you to do a quick self exam, get to know how everything looks down there so you can feel and see any changes. We are way behind the maturity level that woman have reached with Breast awareness/screening. There are a handful of conditions that can occur and a couple like a torsion or truncation can be serious and life threatening. The Lance Armstrong Book is an excellent read BTW, read it many years ago while going thru a head and neck cancer, really an inspiring book for anyone facing that horrible disease.

Seriously, guys are fast to make jokes about their balls, but slow to actually pay attention to them. We really gotta roll them balls and feel them. Don't be ashamed.

A question for anyone who has knowledge of what Medicare will cover for either surgery to remove the cysts or if sclerotherapy would be considered covered. Sclerotherapy is a technique similar to varicose vein treatment but would probably need to by ultrasound guided. Reason I ask is because I turn 65 this year and currently have a high deductible left for the year on my ACA policy and my carrier is not as widely accepted. I would have much better options for surgeons and Facilities by November of this year?

Not to beat this thing to death, but. I actually think my epididymal cyst is noticeably smaller than it was when it was at its max.

I really don't notice it at all. It is still big, resulting in the right testicle being twice or three times the size of the left, but I hardly ever notice it.

Some words of encouragement, maybe.

Good luck.

A question for anyone who has knowledge of what Medicare will cover

FWIW, I've had lots of medical care, including several surgeries since going on Medicare, and nothing has ever been denied.

will be contemplating some of these recent points tomorrow after I meet with a urologist and get his recommendations. Had a painful night last evening with icing, and heating, and Ibuprofen. I don't know how long I can put this off?? Some days are better than others but it has been life changing in almost every area of my life. Went from an active vibrant person to a somewhat depressed couch potato in an instant. I am anticipating an uphill battle convincing a urologist to do surgery rather than the normal watch and wait and learn to live with it advice which is usually dispensed. Thoughts on how to approach the conversation, I'm confused, right now it's unbearable but do I live with some misery and hope for a better outcome?

And how did that work out?

No surprise that he didn't respond. He did respond to the local medical society, which had trouble believing what I told them. The hospital keeps video records of all surgeries that require anesthetics, & once they saw that, he was well on his way to losing his license! He retired before they could pull his license, & I don't expect to get a penny. I thought about pushing it into court, but it really isn't worth the hassle. He's gone, & that's enough.

Ratface, it doesn't make sense for you to be in constant pain. I guess I was lucky in having no pain, but once the hydrocele is gone, you should feel a darn sight better!

will be contemplating some of these recent points tomorrow after I meet with a urologist and get his recommendations. Had a painful night last evening with icing, and heating, and Ibuprofen. I don't know how long I can put this off?? Some days are better than others but it has been life changing in almost every area of my life. Went from an active vibrant person to a somewhat depressed couch potato in an instant. I am anticipating an uphill battle convincing a urologist to do surgery rather than the normal watch and wait and learn to live with it advice which is usually dispensed. Thoughts on how to approach the conversation, I'm confused, right now it's unbearable but do I live with some misery and hope for a better outcome?

Mine was a very simple painless surgery. Just assuming that yours is similar, I can’t see the reason to wait if you’re in pain.

Updating on Urologist Visit

My first visit to a urologist today. After an examination he said it was one of the biggest he has seen. Not exactly what I was wanting to hear. He reiterated that the standard practice was to leave it alone if it was not causing any discomfort or pain. He did agree to do surgery if I wanted it because of the large size and my complaint of constant pain. Said the incision would be around 1 1/2 inches and I would be black and blue for around a month and swollen. Said I would question why I had it done but that all would resolve to normal after the swelling subsided. I asked him how many he had performed to which he replied that he did not keep count. Same answer to his complication rate. I found him personable and likeable but was not really satisfied by these answers.

We talked about the ultrasound findings of epidydimal cyst but he stated it was really a best guess by the radiologist and once inside it could be a spermatocele or even a hydrocele. Stated that if it can not be detached from the testicle he would elect not to remove it once inside. He did state the largest one which bothers me the most would most likely be the easiest to remove. I asked if in that scenario he could just remove the testicle as I am done fathering children and one testicle is quite a livable situation. Stated that is ok until I injure the other testicle and then it could cause some serious problems.

I inquired about Sclerotherapy which is a procedure to inject either iodine or alcohol to shrivel the cyst which I have read very positive results from case studies and trials. He was not a fan and does not perform Sclerotherapy claiming excision is the most preferred method.

He offered aspiration which is simply draining the cyst in office. It can be done repeatedly but the cyst will fill back up eventually, stated I could get two weeks or even two years relief, hard to pinpoint. Was willing to do that today but I could not get a definitive price from his billing department because the billing clerk is on vacation and he is out of network, self pay for me. I have another urologist in network at the end of this month and was thinking I really don't want the cyst diminished during that consult since it might interfere with an accurate diagnosis.

I inquired about the complication of failure to achieve an erection because of surgery and he seemed to think that was a non issue. Stated this type of surgery is the bread and butter of the urologist world and quite routine, claiming any urologist should find it a routine procedure to perform and I should be comfortable with any certified surgeon in my network.

Found the waiting room quite interesting with around a dozen men my age and older waiting their turn, did see two women.

The consult today was $192.00 which I found reasonable for a self pay out of network consultation in suburban Chicago. The billing clerk is going to get back to me for a self pay aspiration but I am hoping to get that done by an in network urologist which will push me back to the beginning of May. He did say there are no associated risks other than my level of pain tolerance for living with the cyst. To reiterate I will be on Medicare in November. I am hoping to buy some time with an Aspiration or two and make it to Medicare. Option two if the pain gets unbearable I will pursue an in network Doc who is willing to operate:confused:? and Pay a rather large Out of pocket remaining on my Bronze plan.

Not an easy road, too many variables, probably best to just break an arm or a leg as far as surgeries go. Thoughts and takeaways from todays consult appreciated?

I'm just waiting for someone in this thread to mention castration as a potential treatment. :LOL:

I recently lost a friend to prostate cancer. Early therapy was female hormones. The doc told him that castration would be "easier." My friend said "Easier for whom?"

Oh, and my only hydrocele resolved on its own. Doc had told me about potential surgery. I asked him if it was a big deal. He said "Well, it would be if they were doing it to me." Thanks a lot doc.

Might as well get the best surgeon for the procedure and get the cyst excised. (That way they can get in there, look around a bit, and get the cyst sack so as to reduce the chance of it coming back.)

DS had surgery at age five. His was congenital. The surgeon also repaired the other side which was exhibiting issues internally, and straightened out some tubes while she was in there. It took him all of 24 hours to want to start jumping off the couch (in other words, a quick recovery, although I limited the couch jumping).

You may want to rethink that. Testicular cancer nearly killed Lance Armstrong.

Tragically, a former neighbor lost his son, age 20 to testicular cancer. The boy was too embarrassed to tell anyone about it. By the time he did, in spite of treatment, it was too late to save him.

Oh, and my only hydrocele resolved on its own. Doc had told me about potential surgery. I asked him if it was a big deal. He said "Well, it would be if they were doing it to me." Thanks a lot doc.

How long for it to resolve?

How long for it to resolve?

Maybe 3 weeks. It's been 25 years ago IIRC. It was painful, but less worrisome once the doc explained it to me (I had been thinking cancer, or some such.) I think I had suffered through the same thing once before for less time - never having gone to the doc nor having the ultra-sound. Doc had told me that it might resolve and he was correct. No such problem since (thank goodness!)

Back
Top Bottom