Any powerlifters on ER?

THe DW and I do Crossfit 3X per week and I do BJJ the other four. We do quite a few olympic lifts and power lifts during our daily WOD (workout of the day). I haven't done a total in a single day but my three lifts currently by themselves are BP = 325, BS = 421, and DL = 450. I would love to get to a 1500 total but that much strength requires so much body mass, it makes it harder to do the AMRAPS (As many reps/ rounds as possible) in crossfit or the rolling in BJJ. I think once I get to a 1250 total (54 # to go), I'll call it good and just focus on my rolling and my AMRAPS. Although I'm in the best shape of my life, at 50 years old the muscle soreness lingers longer. But there is nothing better than putting up a new PR. Plus pushing iron and choking people out makes me happier.

63 yo,

Bench --- 200
Overhead Press -135
Squat --315
Deadlift --390

Don't compete but hope to keep improving those numbers.

Well done

I have minor regrets...I wasn't powerlifting back then, just doing a 5x5 workout and then tried some powerlifts a couple times just for the heck of it. I was close enough to 400 in the squat and deadlift that with a little work on my technique and a small adjustment in training I probably could have done a 400 deadlift and squat without too much trouble.

But I didn't and those days are behind me now :)

Have no idea what my 1RM is, though it’s certainly less than some of the impressive numbers posted here. And given my already achy joints, I’m not planning to even try. One thing, though, if you can deadlift a pickup truck, I guess it saves buying a jack... [emoji51]

Have no idea what my 1RM is, though it’s certainly less than some of the impressive numbers posted here. And given my already achy joints, I’m not planning to even try. One thing, though, if you can deadlift a pickup truck, I guess it saves buying a jack... [emoji51]

This is a good topic for discussion. I have found that I need to be careful when I start lifting again after a long break. I find that my muscles are strong and they seem to get back to their previous abilities fairly quickly, but the joints and tendons need a little extra time to get back up to speed. Worst thing I could do now that I am past the major DOMs is go heavy and stay heavy. My joints aren't strong yet and form will break down and then I risk a serious injury. That's why I like the Wendler 5/3/1 method as it never goes to 1RM. It just builds over time and if I ever want to compete again, I would have to explore my true 1 RMs. This is where I am in the 5/3/1 for this restart:

35183-albums227-picture1850.png

For those who might be curious, there are many caclulators that will derive your 1RM from other reps. Makes it nice because going to a true 1RM requires going past it and that can hurt. A lot.

https://strengthlevel.com/one-rep-max-calculator

Another thing I have chosen to do based on a lot of experience is not to use a straight bar for bench press. Just puts my shoulders in a bad position and I will injure myself. So I use a swiss bar instead. This keeps my elbows in closer to my body and my wrists at a better angle to allow clean movement of my shoulder joint. Can't compete this way, but I'm past that now.

I also use a top squat by Dave Roper for my squats. My shoulders hate it when I try to pull my hands that far behind my back, so the top squat allows me to keep them forward. Really helps me focus on form vs. screaming every time I get under the bar. Again, I can't compete with this, but I like squatting again.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

I also never established 1RM when I was lifting heavy. Generally was doing 3-5 reps, bench 225, DL 315, Squat 275, all free weight bar lifts. If I was pushing for 1 rep maxes, still not sure I could have gotten to the 1000 lb trio. I also for a period of time used a squat machine which was easy to push to 800 lbs, but free weight lifts are the only ones that count and are more beneficial than any machine in my opinion. Unfortunately, those days ended for me a few years ago after a long hospital stay, and I am a wimp now in comparison at almost 70 yo. That said, we have some very strong folks on this forum, congrats and keep going for as long as you can.

Here's a picture of my rack:

35183-albums227-picture1867.jpg

Rogue makes a nice bit of kit.

Started Crossfitting when I was 40 with an all-ladies bootcamp. At bodyweight 125 (pounds) my highest lifts were DL 300, Back Squat 200, Bench 165, Shoulder press 117, Clean 172 Jerk 175 and Snatch 135. Now I'm 50 and have taken a lot of time off, barely back at it working out once a week- am still within 15 pounds on all those maxes, but stamina for training volume is way way down. I have a very nice, well equipped garage gym, but struggle working out alone. That's why group CrossFit classes really motivated me to get to the gym and started me on the way to lifting heavy.

Do you like that deadlift bar to the side of your rack? What brand is it?

Ha

I'm not the one with the picture but I did have a trap bar for a while. I was competing at the time, so I gave up on it fairly quickly. It is a completely different lift with the trap bar.

I got into powerlifting back in 2013 and even entered some competitions. Early on, I injured myself pretty good because of bad form. Once I got the form down, I started going heavy. My 1 rep maxes were ok and I finally topped 1,000 lbs on the big 3 in 2015 (age 49).

Squat - 380
Bench - 240
Deadlift - 485
Overhead press - 145

I had a heart attack in 2015. 3 main arteries clogged 80%-90%. No damage to my heart. Doc thought the powerlifting might have helped save me. I stopped lifting after that. Kindof got the awf#*$its.

Feeling pretty good nowadays so I am getting back into it. Well off my old 1RM's but man, does it feel good to move iron again.

Anyone else into powerlifting or olympic lifts?

not any more ( before 2023 ) the heart is chemically regulated to 64 bpm , and i assume passing out under load is more dangerous than when walking ( i already do that now )

got serious about weightlifting in my mid 30s and kept at it for about 15 years ... i suppose somebody should have noticed i had chest surgery BEFORE the body-building comp in the mid 2000's ( artificially tanning is great for highlighting scars )

NOW i know i had heart surgery at birth ( thanks for the belated 'heads up' , guys )

i guess i should recommend a a FULL medical check-up before entering the sports ( power-lifting , weight-lifting or body-building ) or if very falr skin just throw on some fake tan so you can ask your doctor some PRECISE questions .

take care

Do you like that deadlift bar to the side of your rack? What brand is it?

Ha

I do like it...it allows me to lift with the weight centered rather than in front, and the palms facing in grip is more comfortable.

I don't know who makes it, a local store re-branded it with their name.

Slowly coming back. Joints seem to be doing well. Can you tell where I had a heart attack?

35183-albums227-picture1894.png

I am not retired but recently got into CrossFit a couple years ago. Have worked out/been active most of my life through sports and belonging to gyms.

I prefer powerlifting to olympic lifting, but we do both. I am tall so olympic lifting (cleans and snatches) are harder for me.

It's been a while since I've maxed out, but my max reps are approx:

Bench: 245lb
Squat: 345lb
Deadlift: 405lb

I enjoy CrossFit because it includes both a cardiovascular and strength focus, plus we always to workouts that I would never do on my own and I like the social aspect of it.

I will say, since joining CrossFit, I definitely became more "thick". I gained weight but did not get fat, if that makes sense. My rear :cool: is much bigger than it used to be, and I have torn tight fitting pants. I am still slender and in shape, though (wearing a 32 mens waist pants). People who I haven't seen in years will comment on how I bulked up. :cool:

62 1/2

Bench 190 * 10 (calculator says that is about 250, I suspect more like 235-240)

Squat - fairly easy 300 - usually do a set of 250 *10 to parallel (or just shy)
Deadlift - nearing 400 - 300*10
Chinups - 10 reps typical.

height 6'2" weight approx 215-220lb.

62 1/2

Bench 190 * 10 (calculator says that is about 250, I suspect more like 235-240)

Squat - fairly easy 300 - usually do a set of 250 *10 to parallel (or just shy)
Deadlift - nearing 400 - 300*10
Chinups - 10 reps typical.

height 6'2" weight approx 215-220lb.

That is awesome! I hope to still be lifting heavy @ 62 1/2. :dance:

I did do 330 x 1 on squat today. Felt like I had more but that was my target.

I suck at bench, though. 35" arms are not good fro bench.

That is awesome! I hope to still be lifting heavy @ 62 1/2. :dance:

I did do 330 x 1 on squat today. Felt like I had more but that was my target.

I suck at bench, though. 35" arms are not good fro bench.

I'm fairly tall and lanky myself. Just been doing it for many many years now. I reached a peak at a relatively old age. Around 51-52 or so I hit the weights hard for a while. I reached and easy 400+ in the deadlift and nearly the same in the squat. For some reason my squat has slipped. Maybe just because I am much more strict these days about what I call a squat.

My bench was over 300 back then. I do not think I'll every see that again. Just can't seem to progress much anymore. Oddly enough I do not get the "pump" feel like I used to either. Must have something to do with age. I used to get so sore it would hurt my chest to walk up and down stairs after an intense bench workout. Not any more. I just can't get sore.

I am pleased to still be able to be doing this and to still be stronger than your average bear (any Yogi fans out there?)

67 years old, 150 pounds. Body fat is probably less than 10%. I eat around 3000 calories a day. I have been seriously lifting a couple hours a day almost every day for 7.5 years. I like to do body weight exercises with added weight. I can do sets of 20 pushups with a 45 pound plate on my back and sets of 5 with 90 pounds on my back. I do weighted chin ups with up to 115 pounds of weight. My best benchpress is 270 and my best back squat is 345. I do calf raises up to 475. My best deadlift is 315 but I have not worked much to increase it. I do not do overhead presses but I do incline bench presses up to 245. The bench presses, back squats, deadlifts and calf raises are all in a smith rack counting the bar as 25 pounds. Most of my personal bests have been in the last 6 months. Just to show off on leg days I often do the leg press machine and take it over 1000 pounds. Lifting big is seriously good fun.

67 years old, 150 pounds. Body fat is probably less than 10%. I eat around 3000 calories a day. I have been seriously lifting a couple hours a day almost every day for 7.5 years. I like to do body weight exercises with added weight. I can do sets of 20 pushups with a 45 pound plate on my back and sets of 5 with 90 pounds on my back. I do weighted chin ups with up to 115 pounds of weight. My best benchpress is 270 and my best back squat is 345. I do calf raises up to 475. My best deadlift is 315 but I have not worked much to increase it. I do not do overhead presses but I do incline bench presses up to 245. The bench presses, back squats, deadlifts and calf raises are all in a smith rack counting the bar as 25 pounds. Most of my personal bests have been in the last 6 months. Just to show off on leg days I often do the leg press machine and take it over 1000 pounds. Lifting big is seriously good fun.

Kudos to you! Those are impressive numbers. Im 45 and I’ve been getting some tendinopathy issues as of late. Have you been successful keeping the injuries at bay?

Back
Top Bottom