Any retired folks or digital nomads full time travelers?

Probably best to fill out multiple state tax forms. Surprised some are suggesting you commit tax fraud. If you're moving from a high income tax state, your behavior will probably be scrutinized.

What if I were a snow bird and went down to Arizona for a month or two and worked from my temporary home in Phoenix for the month of January and then returned to my home state for the other 11 months said:
As a former resident of AZ, yes, by law 'snowbirds' or part-time residents are required to pay state income tax on the income received during the months of part-time residence in AZ for said year. When I lived overseas as a military officer and was still a resident of CA, had to pay CA state income tax.

I have been fortunate in that a few of the times I have moved back and forth overseas, I have severed ties with my previous state residence and used my father's address which was first in TX and now in FL. I obtained a driver's license and voter's registration card when visiting before moving and then have established residency. However, when I have done that I have severed ties: no home, no business, no car, no driver's license and no voting in previous state. I have also paid any last state income taxes for the part of the year I was last resident in said state.

As long as you are deliberate, scrupulous and follow the rules, you should be fine.

Comment about CA; they are tenacious. They have tried to pass laws to claw back taxes on pension earnings from former residents based on years resident in CA that contributed to pension income. You may need to keep abreast of those types of possible laws, etc, in previous state residences. Things can change. I lived in CT when going to graduate school, and at the time they had no state income tax. Just as I was driving out of the state graduate degree in hand to move back west in 1991, I remember seeing hordes of people descending on the beautiful capitol building in Hartford angry as the state legislature had passed a state income tax requirement and the governor had signed it into law. Will never forget that scene.

Assuming you will be driving your personal vehicle from location to location, how will you manage auto insurance, since I believe all insurers want to know where the vehicle is "garaged"....insurance rates are geographically based. Will you contact your insurer every two months for a rate adjustment? My questions are not rhetorical, I don't know the answers, but I think these might be important questions? The difference with RVers is that they live in their vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom