Any success in Investing in Collectables

My folks had some mid-century furniture that turned out to have some value. Upon their passing we sold it to a re-seller at a good price. Obviously, the re-seller was planning to sell it at a higher price. My mother would not have parted with it but we never discussed it. It turned out to provide good service as furniture for 50 years and still have good value.

What seems to be holding value these days are classic muscle cars from the 1960's and 1970's. Saw some Chrysler corp oration Hemi's from the 60's go for crazy money on the Mecum auction sites

In my experience to get crazy money out of these cars, you need to put crazy money in them. I done a few of them and while I got back my "cash" investment, I didn't get anything (in $$) for my time investment. Of course I had fun working on them (usually) so I guess that's worth something.

After reading some of these post, I think I'll stick with rare coins. I've spent as much on some rare coins that I've spent on cars and have seen a nice appreciation on many of them. They are very easy to buy and sell at coin shows, easy to store in a bank safety deposit box, fun to collect, they don't need routine maintenance and there's no "sales tax" in Texas on bullion and numismatic coins.

I know a guy who collects very, VERY high end cars (multiple million dollar vehicles), and at that end of the market there is never a shortage of either buyers or sellers.

For myself, I did well strictly by accident on a collectible.
Many years ago, I was at a charity auction and bought a painting donated by a well known artist. It was the most expensive item there, and I got it for a couple hundred bucks.

I had it framed at a gallery, which cost me another hundred or so, and enjoyed it for several decades. Then I just got tired of it and decided to let someone else enjoy it for a while. Sold it at auction for about 30 times what it cost me!

Fired, you reminded me of another onerous "collectible"...formal china, crystal, and flatware. My own wedding stuff is collecting dust, and Mom asked me to take hers as well. I have a friend who is stuck with four sets from her parents and grandparents. Unused, but hard to just take to Goodwill because of the family connection. She's moved three times and had to carry boxes and boxes of these items. At least I've technically got the room to store this stuff, but I don't see too many formal gatherings in my future entertaining plans to use it.

I doubt any of it, except the sterling flatware, has any resale value. And the Millennials I know don't even register for formal china any more. They might request Fiestaware or some other durable every day china, but long gone are the days of going to the department store for $50 stemware as a wedding gift, at least in my circle.

Sarah, we've just added my Mom's china collection to our collection of collections. I haven't done any research on it yet, but a friend of mine told me you could actually do OK selling it piece by piece on eBay. There are (supposedly) people looking to fill collections. Of course, then you end up with a partial collection yourself.

Of all the things DW has collected/bought for her own enjoyment, all the jewelry (mostly QVC) might be the best return items if we were to resell it. The stones may be CZ or semiprecious, but the gold is real and anywhere from 10 - 24 carat. Most of it was bought in the 70s and 80s, so the price of the gold has gone up quite a bit.

I guess if you accumulate enough stuff, something might show a gain at some point.

I've never been much into collectibles. Never got the idea of Beanie Babies or Precious Moments figurines.

The only thing that I went after was USSR stuff after they opened up. It's kinda neat to look at. Purchased a czar bond and note for less than $100. (it was illegal in USSR to possess anything from pre-revolution days).

When mom passed I got the French china and some other things from when the parents lived in France. Haven't decided yet what to do with those things.

I also had DHs family china. Not my taste and we used it maybe twice in 25+ years. I was so glad when a niece said she'd love to have it. It was worth the cost of buying boxes and dish pack supplies from UHaul to get the stuff to her. Now I need someone to adopt my teacup collection.

When I was a kid I had a small collection of old currency like silver certificates and $2 bills. I was a big saver so I also had a "collection" of $5 bills, the current kind.

Now that I'm a middle aged adult I collect $20's. They don't take up a lot of space, they are accepted everywhere and that Andrew Jackson guy is really very handsome.

Now that I'm a middle aged adult I collect $20's. They don't take up a lot of space, they are accepted everywhere and that Andrew Jackson guy is really very handsome.

I could not begin to tell you if this guy is handsome or not :nonono: but I like the looks of the "$10,000 bills" that Salmon Chase was on for public circulation until the late 1940's. (I actually saw one once about 10 years ago)

Last edited:
Sarah, we've just added my Mom's china collection to our collection of collections. I haven't done any research on it yet, but a friend of mine told me you could actually do OK selling it piece by piece on eBay. There are (supposedly) people looking to fill collections. Of course, then you end up with a partial collection yourself.

If you just want to simplify the process, I can recommend Replacements, Ltd. to get a quote on selling as much or as little as you want.

Got rid of my mom's china through them at what I think was a fair price. Saved on shipping by putting it in my car and taking it there on one of my trips a couple of years ago (they are located in North Carolina).

If you just want to simplify the process, I can recommend Replacements, Ltd. to get a quote on selling as much or as little as you want.

Got rid of my mom's china through them at what I think was a fair price. Saved on shipping by putting it in my car and taking it there on one of my trips a couple of years ago (they are located in North Carolina).

Cool. I'll look into it. It doesn't say anything on the website about buying, but I'll contact them at some point and see what they say. Thanks.

I could not begin to tell you if this guy is handsome or not :nonono: but I like the looks of the "$10,000 bills" that Salmon Case was on for public circulation until the late 1940's. (I actually saw one once about 10 years ago)

Colorado Springs has the museum of the American Numismatic Society. It isn't a huge building, but it has all, freaking kinds of interesting, rare coins, currency and related items. They have the high denomination bills, all kinds of weird stuff (early US proof coins that listed the gold content in terms of pounds, marks, etc.), and even obscure stuff like a collection of hobo nickels. Worth a visit.

Colorado Springs has the museum of the American Numismatic Society. It isn't a huge building, but it has all, freaking kinds of interesting, rare coins, currency and related items. They have the high denomination bills, all kinds of weird stuff (early US proof coins that listed the gold content in terms of pounds, marks, etc.), and even obscure stuff like a collection of hobo nickels. Worth a visit.

I didn't know that. I'll plan to stop by there next time I'm up that way.

Thanks.

Braumeister, how funny that you bring them up...I was talking with a friend tonight and he said he has gone up to Replacements a couple of times to sell stuff he picks up at Goodwill. And Harley, it is on your way south kinda, so might be worth your while.
I might take them a few pieces of extra sterling I have to see if they might buy it.
Very cool that you beat me to the story. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

A couple more examples: my parents got Bing & Grondhal commemorative Christmas plates every year from a corporate connection in the 1970s. Last I checked I think they were going for $9.99 on e-Bay.

In a similar discussion on collectibles on another board I mentioned that I had about a dozen Hallmark mini- Christmas ornaments that I never used, costing $7 or $8 each. Someone posted that she and her daughter LOVED them. I PM'd her and sent the to her for free. I was happy someone would enjoy them.

Hmmm - Katrina took care of my collectibles. Mostly Mardis and Space Program Posters, Patches, medallions, etc.

Remarried last year - we are in the 'un' phase decollecting 'stuff' to her relatives, friends and ultimately Good Will and the like.

Heh heh heh - gonna take awhile. :cool:

A friend and I went to Galpin Ford in 1967 and together we bought a 67 Shelby GT500 off the lot, we had no idea it was going to be a classic, we just wanted something fast and didn't like chevys (sorry chevy fans). Anyway, long story short, I ended up with the car by myself and when I moved to Hawaii I just put it in storage with another friend keeping an eye on it. Life goes on and you forget about things.......I was reading one day about 25 years later what 67 Shelbys were selling for and jumped out of my seat! Caught the next flight back to the Mainland, got the car out of storage and had it restored to factory specs (new paint etc.)

It is how I ended up getting involved in collecting cars. Bought a 70 Boss 302, a super cobra jet, 71 boss 351 etc. I now use them as part of my retirement plans.

PS. Anybody remember Beneficial Finance? I was so young they were the only company that would lend me money, I think it was probably 21% interest or something stupid like that.............

Last edited:
I just lost a longer post musing about rare wine and books. Any success stories in those areas to share?

PS. Anybody remember Beneficial Finance? I was so young they were the only company that would lend me money, I think it was probably 21% interest or something stupid like that.............

I remember the Beneficial ads. Never did business with them but remember the radio ads. But for a '67 Shelby GT 500 21% was a deal....:LOL:

Nobody I know has made money investing in collectables. Nobody. Lots of big talk about how they are going to pay for their kid's college expenses by selling off their beanie baby collection. On a similar note, some of these people still brag about
how that land out in Palmdale is going to be worth a fortune as soon as the new InterContinental airport is built out there since there is no room to expand LAX.

Back
Top Bottom