Anybody Use Microsoft Mail? (No, not Outlook)

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was stunned to find out that Microsoft has an email client included with the Windows OS. This is NOT Microsoft Outlook but is called simply Microsoft Mail.

It appears to be a stripped down version of Outlook. While it lacks the many bells and whistles of Outlook it presents a cleaner user interface. For those that aren't email power users (like retired people, ha!) it might be a neat solution.

If you do use Microsoft Mail, how about a quick review?

^^^^^^^^^^^ Forget it. As MS is phasing it out this year !!

I know an old fellow using it (over 90) and I'll be switching him over to Thunderbird, as works on many Operating Systems.

And I will need to transfer him over to linux later. So he can keep using his old computer..

We just did the transition from MS Mail for a 95-y-o relative. We set him up with a link to his e-mail provider's web-based e-mail site.

No point in teaching him Linux. We bought him a new Windows laptop. For many older people the computer is their main link to the outside world. And at a certain age, you have to figure they've earned a decent machine.

^^^^^^^^^^^ Forget it. As MS is phasing it out this year !!

Microsoft will be including "New Outlook" with Windows 11 starting next year. Essentially, Outlook will be included with Windows 11. MS Mail will be discontinued. I'm not sure if the free version of "New Outlook" will have the same features and user interface as the current MS Outlook.

It was used in rare cases where I worked. It used Activesync to connect to our Exchange server. Seems issue was people getting locked out of accounts after password changes and not being able to have it prompt for authentication. It was just one account on one profile. I think one of our techs had set it up for some users. We phased it out in those few occurrences in favor of Outlook and Outlook Web App.

I used Outlook at work.

I've been using Thunderbird at home (now on Windows 10) for years after importing email from Outlook Express many years back, which was discontinued many years back as well.

Last edited:
After retiring years ago, I used to use Microsoft Outlook Express. But with that ran into getting virus just preview an email.

Then found Sylpheed which is described as "Sylpheed is a simple, lightweight but featureful, and easy-to-use e-mail client" by their website.

I really haven't had a need to switch to anything else.

Are you using a free version of it? What didn't you like about Thunderbird? I've been using it for years.
Yes. Free version. I had been using Windows Live Mail for years. But, they stopped supporting it. I then started using Windows Mail and Calendar, but they are pushing everyone to Outlook, and killed it. eM Client is sort of like Windows Live Mail, which I was use to. I guess to each his own.

Yes. Free version. I had been using Windows Live Mail for years. But, they stopped supporting it. I then started using Windows Mail and Calendar, but they are pushing everyone to Outlook, and killed it. eM Client is sort of like Windows Live Mail, which I was use to. I guess to each his own.
OK, well that makes sense. It just doesn't have anything to do with Thunderbird, which you said you used and didn't like.

OK, well that makes sense. It just doesn't have anything to do with Thunderbird, which you said you used and didn't like.
I actually installed Thunderbird and eM Client at the same time, based on recommendations from Google searches. After setting up and using each, I liked eM Client better.

Use browser based email. Sure, it can be a bit difficult at first. After a month you'll never go back to a desktop application for email use. I've been a software engineer for 30 years. For 26 of those years I used Outlook desktop. I now only use Outlook Online and couldn't be happier. Outlook uses a ton of system resources, slowing down computers.

I'm trying to get away from M$ products. I never liked the subscription model. Now that I'm retired I have no need to stay with M$ stuff. My next machine will probably be Linux. Libra Office required a bit of a learning curve, and it's noticeably slower than the M$ Office line. But freeing myself from Microsoft's clutches is worth it.

Use browser based email. Sure, it can be a bit difficult at first. After a month you'll never go back to a desktop application for email use. I've been a software engineer for 30 years. For 26 of those years I used Outlook desktop. I now only use Outlook Online and couldn't be happier. Outlook uses a ton of system resources, slowing down computers.

What computer will be slowed down by MS Outlook? I just looked at my Windows Task Manager and it's using 114MB of memory. I have 5 email accounts that are fairly active. That doesn't seem like a lot of resources being used to me.

We just did the transition from MS Mail for a 95-y-o relative. We set him up with a link to his e-mail provider's web-based e-mail site.

No point in teaching him Linux. We bought him a new Windows laptop. For many older people the computer is their main link to the outside world. And at a certain age, you have to figure they've earned a decent machine.

A new computer is a consideration, and would be less work at least initially.

He barely uses his computer. His TV is the constant source of daily occupation.
We just brought him a new flat screen and set it up as we saw his old one had a lot of lines in it - was dying, he never complained about the lines. :facepalm:

I was thinking Linux (Ubuntu) as for reading email and using a browser, as it's not different than doing it on Windows.
The advantage would be when he phones me and asks how to do stuff (like delete an email) I can give him step by step instructions (button location, button look etc), I rarely use Windows so am less help there.

Maybe I should just give him a camera, ( wyze) he could plug in and point at things that he is asking about, then I could see the issue. I could set it up so I have access.

I'm trying to get away from M$ products. I never liked the subscription model. Now that I'm retired I have no need to stay with M$ stuff. My next machine will probably be Linux. Libra Office required a bit of a learning curve, and it's noticeably slower than the M$ Office line. But freeing myself from Microsoft's clutches is worth it.

Microsoft Mail is not a subscription based product. It comes with Windows OS.

I read: At the beginning of 2024, all Windows 11 devices will include the Free version of New Outlook for Windows as the default mailbox application.

I didn't really look into the details. I expect to continue using Thunderbird with my Gmail account on my desktop computer.

I have a friend who somehow set things up to handle her gmail in Microsoft Mail. I find it to be a terrible why to use gmail. I wanted to move her to the web-based client for gmail, but she couldn't remember her password and did not want to go through the perceived pain of changing her password. When her ancient laptop dies, she will have to change her password or just do mail on her phone!

Which is why M$ is dropping it.

Microsoft Mail is being replaced with Outlook, which will come packaged with Windows 11 OS. So it's actually an upgrade in email software without needing a subscription.

Microsoft Mail is being replaced with Outlook, which will come packaged with Windows 11 OS. So it's actually an upgrade in email software without needing a subscription.
I've seen some comments that it has ads.

Last edited:
I had MS Mail but switched to Thunderbird when MS said they were dropping Mail.

What computer will be slowed down by MS Outlook? I just looked at my Windows Task Manager and it's using 114MB of memory. I have 5 email accounts that are fairly active. That doesn't seem like a lot of resources being used to me.

Wait until your mailbox contains tens of gigabytes of mail. Yes, I know, delete delete delete. Not always possible with Corporate America and government contracts.

Back
Top Bottom