Anyone been to a Playboy Club?

DW & I and another married couple we were friends with visited the Playboy Club in London ~1982/3. We had drinks, my buddy & I played a bit of cards...lost immediately, then we went back to our hotel.

The decor was nice, service was friendly, and the bunnies were very easy on the eyes. But, I remember feeling out of place because it seemed to be a place for high rollers or those pretending to be (certainly not us), and the whole vibe seemed very manufactured to me. However, we did it for the experience, and we got that. ;)

Never been always wanted to but never had the chance . Every year we go to Key West for Fantasy Fest. Hef walks in the parades with his smoker jacket pipe and lovely girls. DW has photos with Hef. He always rents a mansion at Fantasy Fest and has a reenactment of the old Playboy days . Brings in some Celebrity bunnies . Because FF is for an older crown Hef is like a Rockstar!

<snip> the bunny said a lot of them developed what they called "bunny belly." I guess the trussing of the abdomen in the tight costumes distorted the anatomy; have no idea how permanent it may have been. Anyway, thought it was interesting.

I do remember reading that the bunny outfits were very scientifically engineered to make the most out of their assets and the actual structure was a deep, dark secret. It may be that enclosing the abdomen in what was basically a very tight girdle meant that the abdominal muscles didn't have to do any work and thus lost their tone.

No, but I went to a strip club in rural South Carolina with some (male) colleagues when I was first starting out as an engineer around 1988. The club featured an exotic dancer with a live boa constrictor. Neither the dancer nor the snake seemed to be having much fun, but the (male) audience enjoyed themselves. Not my cup of tea. :nonono:

Just be clear socca, the Playboy Clubs and strip clubs are two totally different things... not even in the same universe.

As others have mentioned, the Playboy Clubs were the predecessor of today's "Breastaurants" like Hooters or Twin Peaks or Tilted Kilt and the like. There was no nudity, just scanty uniforms... and the Playboy Clubs were much more exclusive and upscale than today's Breastaurants... initially they were members only but I think they loosened up later on.

Just be clear socca, the Playboy Clubs and strip clubs are two totally different things... not even in the same universe.

What's the difference between being ogled while wearing a Playboy bunny suit and being ogled while swinging around an unhappy snake while naked? Not much, IMO.

What's the difference between being ogled while wearing a Playboy bunny suit and being ogled while swinging around an unhappy snake while naked? Not much, IMO.
Well yea, but the Playboy clubs had the pretense of sophistication.

Closest I came to it, the girls' gym teacher in my junior year of high school had once worked as a bunny. She probably weighed all of 100 pounds and was fairly pretty. Not the warmest or friendliest teacher, but due to the "she was a bunny" rep, she probably had to work even harder at being taken seriously at work than most women did back then.

You can still find the girls with the outfits at The Gentlemen's Club(s) in Tokyo, Japan. It's an exact replica outfit and ambience-wise, except with Japanese girls. When I was there on business, it was a popular dinner destination for our hosts.

I worked with some salesmen who were members of Chicago's Gaslight Club, a predecessor to the Playboy Club whose waitresses wore corsets and a garter. The guys took out-of-town male clients for three martini lunches and dinners. Not sure how many deals were closed there but they all seemed to like the place in a wink wink nudge nudge way.

Dressed up as a PB Bunny for Halloween when I was around 30. I won 1st prize in the costume contest. Not sure where the photo is. If I find it, I'll post it.

It was amazing to learn how iconic a Bunny was. I had so many guys come up to me and speak quite reverentially. Some even politely asked to gently touch my puffy white tail.

The whole experience was not quite what I would have expected.

omni

Early 70's: tried to get in with my Uncle and some cousins for lunch (Jamaica). They turned him down since he didn't have the key with him. My cousin got even when they wouldn't tell her where the ladies room was right away, and she threw up in the hallway.
Early 80's: was in NYC for business, and we were taken to the club there. It was nice, and the food was cheap. The drinks however were pricey (water was about $5 per glass). It was fun, and one of my roommates on the trip ended up going home with a Bunny (whole 'nuther storey!!).

Never been to a playboy club. Why go out for hamburger when you can enjoy steak at home? :D

I went to one in Jamaica. In the 70's....I was like 12 or so at the time. It was with my family, for lunch on a cruise shore excursion. I do remember the bunny costume being rigid. The costume! You know, like the earlier post about how it was like a "very tight girdle".

Patpong used to be the grownup disneyland!:D

To each their own.

I was in Thailand in 1998 for a week-long business trip with my boss. One of the local managers took us out one night to show us around Bangkok. We were taken to watch some kick boxing (the national sport), the Patpong night market and a nearby go-go club or two.

What I recall from the club(s) ...10-15 young Thai ladies, all wearing the same color (neon green) bathing suits in slightly different styles, standing up on stage hanging on to brass poles, looking bored and lamely grooving to the music while an audience of mostly old 'western' men ogled them. When the music stopped, the 'dancers' would drop their tops for a minute. I was told that a few bills (maybe ~$20) handed to the Mama-san would 'connect' you to the dancer of your choice. :nonono:

And the kick boxing venue was a bit 'different'. We watched a few rounds and then noticed that during the breaks, the [male] fighters would disappear for a few minutes and reemerge dressed as women in floor-length ball gowns. They'd then stroll/troll through the mostly western male audience looking for customers. :confused:

Then I'd read in the English-language newspaper about how rural families often sent their kids to Bangkok to be part of the sex trade with their earnings being sent back to support the families back in the sticks. The AIDs epidemic was well underway then, but the families refused to believe it, saying that it was government propaganda designed to reduce the money the families would receive by scaring people out of becoming sex workers.

From this gal's perspective, the whole place was kind of sad and depressing. :(

omnie

Save

Last edited:
I worked with former and current military members who had many tales of the sex trade in Thailand. One man described how he tried to persuade another man to purchase a Thai club girl's favors - "Where else could a guy like you get a beautiful girl to go to bed with you?" Loathsomely pragmatic.

It was about 1983. My brother and his wife took my girlfriend and me to the Playboy Club in Columbus, OH, where he was apparently a member. I think he just wanted to show off for his older brother. I fear I was not appropriately impressed. The bunnies were pretty enough, but the whole concept just seemed odd.

My wife and I were staying in a hotel in London a 2 or 3 years ago. There was a Playboy Club just down the street. My wife had gone to a Playboy club in NY during her younger days and wanted to see one again. I had never been to one. So we arranged to go there for drinks and dinner.

The bunnies were beautiful, and those we met seemed impressed when my wife told them she had been a bunny in the past. But then she explained she meant she had been dressed as the Easter Bunny at an event near our home. :blush:

As I recall it was a nice place with good service and good food. We had a fun evening traveling back in time a bit.

Late 60's, just after I turned 21, a close friend treated me to a night at the PB club in Chi. It was quite nice in terms of decor. The food was good. The entertainment was okay - not great. One thing that made me feel really terrible: As just two young guys, not dressed as elegantly as the typical guest, we were seated near the entrance to the food/drink area. The bunnies came and went through the area often which was sort of treat to a midwestern hick like me. But then I noticed one particular bunny sneaking drinks (alcohol). In the time we sat there, she must have downed 4 or 5. At her size, she must have been sloshed by the end of the evening. I could tell she was hiding her activities from her co-workers and the management. I just happened to be in the perfect position to see this go down. I wondered what would cause a young, attractive girl in a "glamorous" j*b to drink like that. It's something that's stuck with me for almost 50 years. Funny what affects you and what you remember. YMMV

Went to the one in Denver 70's ish.
Not much happening at the time besides a few bunnies strolling and making small talk. What I remember most is the fact that we had to rent a sport coat from them before we could enter.

One of my best friends was actually a bunny at the NYC playboy club. So the thing about it was, it was a lot of tourist. I mean me and my friends generally didn't hang out at studio 54 or Playboy club simply because it wasn't a real "disco" to us. there were simply way better night clubs that us New Yorkers went to. So IMO it was corny.
It's like when people ask me where to go eat in the theater district. I just don't know because I wouldn't eat in the theater district.

Back
Top Bottom