anyone been to Lake Walloon?

Franklin

Recycles dryer sheets
Got a trip planned to Northern Michigan (LakeWalloon). I have never been there but plan to spend a week checking it out over the 4th. Any members with experience there?

Yes. Stayed in a cabin on Lake Walloon on Air Castle Point. Took day trips to Mackinaw Island, Sleeping Bear Dunes and Sault St. Marie. It was chilly (which is probably why the cabin was available in early June), but man did we have fun.
I’m not sure the Great Lakes region, Michigan/UP, etc come to mind for a lot of folks when choosing vacation destinations. America’s North Coast as they like to call it is a hidden treasure in my opinion. Flew into Traverse City from Orlando. Drove the rest. All very easy.

Yes. Stayed in a cabin on Lake Walloon on Air Castle Point. Took day trips to Mackinaw Island, Sleeping Bear Dunes and Sault St. Marie. It was chilly (which is probably why the cabin was available in early June), but man did we have fun.
I’m not sure the Great Lakes region, Michigan/UP, etc come to mind for a lot of folks when choosing vacation destinations. America’s North Coast as they like to call it is a hidden treasure in my opinion. Flew into Traverse City from Orlando. Drove the rest. All very easy.

Got it. We Are
flying into Traverse City and plan the drive to Lake Walloon. You are correct as this is a bit off the normal for us but it seemed to be something we should consider. Gonna rent a boat and try somewhere we don't normally do!. I have Mackinaw on the list.

Don't tell everybody ----- Absolutely BEAUTIFUL and so much to see in the area - Lake Charlevoix and Petoskey area also add to the list. It is gorgeous in the Fall. Summer, and Winter. Spring----during the snow melt, not so much. I actually prefer Fall......not so many people but gorgeous color.

I used to stay up there for a week every summer, usually in June. Can be chilly at night, but it's a great area, and daytime weather in june is glorious. The lake is very clean, good for small boat sailing, fishing, etc. Some great small towns worth driving to during the day.

It's a popular destination for Canadians, Hoosiers, and Ohioans

Traverse City has so many festivals that a resident rented the city's festival site in order to have a "no festival" day of peace and quiet

It will be packed on the 4th but it's quite beautiful

It's a popular destination for Canadians, Hoosiers, and Ohioans

Traverse City has so many festivals that a resident rented the city's festival site in order to have a "no festival" day of peace and quiet

It will be packed on the 4th but it's quite beautiful

well we got back and wow was this place beautiful. First-time in Northern Michigan. I know why the locals say "keep quiet".

well we got back and wow was this place beautiful. First-time in Northern Michigan. I know why the locals say "keep quiet".

We love that area too. Beautiful outdoors stuff, especially on the water, but nice places to eat and stay. A winning combination.

Yes, the Traverse City/Petoskey/Charlevoix area is beautiful, but to me it has gotten too crowded (during the summer months) in recent years. If you want the same (or even nicer) scenery and fewer people, drive across the Mackinac Bridge to the Upper Peninsula....

Yes, the Traverse City/Petoskey/Charlevoix area is beautiful, but to me it has gotten too crowded (during the summer months) in recent years. If you want the same (or even nicer) scenery and fewer people, drive across the Mackinac Bridge to the Upper Peninsula....

Sadly, the gig is up here too.

From St. Ignace to Detour along the coast, its one large for sale sign. Fortunately there is also a great deal of conservation land that has been set aside.

Even in the Whitefish Bay area, from Brimley to Paradise, same thing for lake frontage for sale.

However, who can really blame people for wanting to have a touch of the north.

Sadly, the gig is up here too.

From St. Ignace to Detour along the coast, its one large for sale sign. Fortunately there is also a great deal of conservation land that has been set aside.

Even in the Whitefish Bay area, from Brimley to Paradise, same thing for lake frontage for sale.

However, who can really blame people for wanting to have a touch of the north.

Oh yeah, things have definitely changed in the U.P. over the years also, but we don't have nearly the number of people that places like Traverse City has. And there is still a whole lot of public land (State and National Forests, etc) to explore, where you won't find all that many people. I grew up in the Eastern U.P., but now live in the Western U.P.. Lots of beautiful (and relatively uncrowded) lakes over here where I live now, along with all that public forest land, which are some of the reasons we will probably always maintain a home here. Winters here are too long for me now, so we head south for the winter, but I always look forward to coming back home for the summer/fall.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom