Anyone Buying Into Today's Dip?

I’m sticking with the math + historical data, which says there’s never been a 15+ year period in history where a 100% equities portfolio had a negative return. I’m 49 years old and in 100% equities and plan to stay there indefinitely.
What equities? Speaking of the S&P 500, I think it was about 18 years with no gain when including dividends reinvested and adjusting for inflation (real returns). Someone had posted the time periods a few years back in another retirement forum. I don't have a link to reference.

OK, lemme count the ones expiring today. All these were OTM when I sold.

Calls expiring worthless: 14 contracts
Calls expiring in-the-money (making me sell): 5 contracts

Puts expiring worthless: 6 contracts
Puts expiring in-the-money (making me buy): 3 contracts

Option premium collected YTD: $30,101.

Very nice. I have collected around $20,000 in option premium YTD but the underlying stocks are down almost $35,000 so net I have lost $15,000 vs just being in cash. Not exactly thrilled.

Very nice. I have collected around $20,000 in option premium YTD but the underlying stocks are down almost $35,000 so net I have lost $15,000 vs just being in cash. Not exactly thrilled.

I wish my stocks were down only $35K. I would be happy if I were down only $15K net.

The $30K from option premium means my loss is reduced by that much. It's $30K less loss compared to if I had done nothing.

Well, overall I am down a lot less than the S&P. Will report this on the YTD return thread at the month's end in a little more than 1 week.

I wanted to add some securities, but I don't trust buying before a 3 day close.

I think in this thread some were nibbling at PLTR (Palantir). It is almost back to it's IPO, just $1 above that.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2022/02/17/why-palantir-stock-plunged-today/

Some articles refer to it as a MEME stock.

I was looking at the five year chart and was surprised to see the huge run up and drop on this and SQ. They really took off when the serious money printing started. I am embarrassed that I had not looked at this chart view before taking a position.

One consolation is that they seem to have wrung out a lot of the excess and may be better priced for a long term hold.

Even after doubling my position size yesterday, PLTR is only 0.5% of my investable assets. My SQ position is more like 1.5%, which is more than I would like it to be, especially if my put contract gets assigned. I will probably sell some if it goes back up in the next few months.

I liked Palantir's earnings report and like Block's future road map. So I guess these will get tossed in the sock drawer for five years and see what happens.

I wait until the third rate hikes.
The hedge funds that borrow a lot of money will pay for much higher interest.
One hedge fund will have to start selling, others will follow.

Sure seems to be a lot of significant market impacting factors in play "this time" ;) War, politics, inflation, COVID, the Fed, supply chain issues, etc. OTOH, it often seems that way. Maybe this time it is different... :) In any case, I'm starting to buy (nibble) my way back in as this chapter plays outs.

Last edited:
I was looking at the five year chart and was surprised to see the huge run up and drop on this and SQ. They really took off when the serious money printing started. I am embarrassed that I had not looked at this chart view before taking a position.

One consolation is that they seem to have wrung out a lot of the excess and may be better priced for a long term hold.

Even after doubling my position size yesterday, PLTR is only 0.5% of my investable assets. My SQ position is more like 1.5%, which is more than I would like it to be, especially if my put contract gets assigned. I will probably sell some if it goes back up in the next few months.

I liked Palantir's earnings report and like Block's future road map. So I guess these will get tossed in the sock drawer for five years and see what happens.
Now I'm thinking short money on PLTR at $11. With increased int'l conflict in 2022, it will surely get carried back to $50, right?

I'm sitting on the sidelines holding what we have. The real estate purchase drained our cash so no buying for us, one year! ( Seinfeld Soup reference ).

Pulled the trigger on $100K of ROTH conversion today.

I transferred some SWTSX from the IRA into my ROTH. It’s down over 10% years to date, so I’m getting a little more bang for my buck doing it now rather than at the start of the year.

It’s small win, but I’ll take it.

What equities? Speaking of the S&P 500, I think it was about 18 years with no gain when including dividends reinvested and adjusting for inflation (real returns). Someone had posted the time periods a few years back in another retirement forum. I don't have a link to reference.

Were you thinking of this chart I posted a while back?

SP-500-Real-Total-Return-010919.png

Pulled the trigger on $100K of ROTH conversion today.

I transferred some SWTSX from the IRA into my ROTH. It’s down over 10% years to date, so I’m getting a little more bang for my buck doing it now rather than at the start of the year.

It’s small win, but I’ll take it.
I'm doing a monthly Roth conversion and it executed after trading yesterday. A much smaller win.;)

The bigger win is seeing from my tax return that most of my 2021 Roth conversion fell into the 12% Federal tax bracket.

Last edited:
24601NoMore.

Thanks for the graph.
My gut feeling is most value stocks will go side way for a long while.
Moving forward, dividend stocks will be the winner.

Big dip coming tomorrow with Russia moving into Ukraine... Good time to buy for those so inclined.

SCHG growth is dipping below -20% this morning.
SCHD value is -9% from its high.
VTI Total US Market is -15% from its high.

sitting on about 20K for my 2021 ROTH and some extra. Equates to about 15% of my play account. I will probably deploy 5K when I think the market is at the bottom (for the day). Probably deploy another 5K on Monday/Tuesday and see how things go. Don't need any of this $ for a few years. Most likely go VTI. Wouldn't be surprised to see the market drop another 20% or so for a total drop of 40% from last years highs. I do believe we will see new all time highs w/in the next 2-4 years. No 1 knows nuthun!

Pre market is down well over 1000 at this time. Looks like today is going to be a good day (maybe) to buy some value stocks. I'll probably buy (nibble) at more today and then see what happens over the next few days.

I have a few low ball bids in for some corporate notes with maturities in 2025 and 2026. I still see no bargains in the corporate and muni bond markets. Preferred and muni bond CEFs continue to decline but they still are not in the "buy" range. When the market sells off, you have to put your emotions aside and buy securities of good profitable companies with a future in the modern world.

About a week too early on some QQQ, VUG, and some VHT. $10 cheaper earlier this morning. But not as bad as getting shot at or getting your country invaded.

Apparently, everyone is buying today. This is so frustrating. There is no basis for what's happened in the stock markets. All I know is fixed income investments, especially bond funds (regardless of duration), seem to have been permanently damaged as a safe asset to hold. They used to be for the period of 2006-2020. Not anymore. Argh! :(:mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom