Anyone Considering Cancelling Travel

That all depends on the individual. I'm not into streaming when I travel so no knowledge about that. I've never had a problem in any country with web data; it's plenty fast enough for me, and I've used it in 15 European and four South American countries.

And it's so easy to download Google maps to your phone in advance for all the areas where you'll be that this shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

Same here in Europe. Major hotel wifi has generally been good.

As far as cell data - it works quite well for email, GPS tracking, map loading, and the occasional web searches for info. I’ve even run FaceTime occasionally no prob.

Now we are talking Med cruise with the family, in September. The British contingent and my sisters have already booked.

Love all the great wireless plan data. Bottom line for international travellers seems to be to use TMobile...or possibly Google Fi.

Anyway, not cancelling travel but ramping it up.

Returned from British Columbia/Washington/Oregon about 10 days ago. Heading out in a couple of days on a car trip to Texas to see family friends and see some football and basketball games.

But we remain very cautious with distancing and masking.

Glad to see Covid is waning nationally but taking seriously. Getting booster today.

We're getting boosted today as well, but there is no way we'd go to an indoor basketball game how can you be cautious in a setting that like. Enjoy your games but don't kid yourself.

Sure good enough but it can vary depending on which area you're in.

This forum has BTD threads all the time. For $20-30, you can get much faster data for your 2-3 week vacation.

In the scheme of things not even a big splurge.

In that case, you need a local phone or unlock your own phone.

We're getting boosted today as well, but there is no way we'd go to an indoor basketball game how can you be cautious in a setting that like. Enjoy your games but don't kid yourself.

Very high ceilings, excellent ventilation.

And they will not be heavily attended very likely.

I am not trying to talk you or anyone into anything.

Last edited:
Very high ceilings, excellent ventilation.

And they will not be heavily attended very likely.

I am not trying to talk you or anyone into anything.

Understood just all that insane screaming that goes on in sports venues today.

If some wacko is near me I will move for sure but I don't expect that. Alums are pretty sedate at basketball games. Students different but that's a different part of the arena Of course I will be providing some normal positive yelling but not into anyone's space.

There will be a lot of yelling at the football game however. 105k fans but it's outside.

It's outside of course.

And this is people all facing same direction, which matters.

Not nearly as much at hoops, particularly these early games.

Currently on back to back Caribbean cruises with my wife. All passengers and crew are fully vaccinated as well as all passengers taking Covid tests prior to embarkation. We feel very safe and have been on several excursions. Typically, excursions are masked on mass transportation and then not masked at the beach, eating etc.

We drove to the cruise port as we wanted to avoid air travel. However, after this experience we think we will be ready to fly again.

Booked several more future cruises (Med, Rome-Dubai, Dubai-Singapore) because of our experience with this cruise line.

Here’s a picture I took last night from our balcony with iPhone 13 pro. IMG_0280.JPG

Last edited:
Currently on back to back Caribbean cruises with my wife.

After many cancellations we will be back on a cruise this weekend, also to the Caribbean, on Carnival's new megaship the Mardi Gras. We are looking forward to it greatly. Enjoy and have fun.

I have a refundable deposit for a tour that I must make a decsion on by the end of December. I had hoped we would see a nice downturn in Covid by now. But, I see it is on the rise again in areas of Europe that are covered by the tour. So......

If in doubt I will cancel and get my refund. If the situation improves I can always schedule my trip on my own or maybe grab a last minute tour opportunity. It's not like I work for a living and have to get the The Man's permission months ahead of time.

A road trip within the USA is also schedule. All refundable, but Covid will have to raise a really really Big Ugly Mess to make me change that.

Last edited:
Currently on back to back Caribbean cruises with my wife. All passengers and crew are fully vaccinated as well as all passengers taking Covid tests prior to embarkation. We feel very safe and have been on several excursions. Typically, excursions are masked on mass transportation and then not masked at the beach, eating etc.

We drove to the cruise port as we wanted to avoid air travel. However, after this experience we think we will be ready to fly again.

Booked several more future cruises (Med, Rome-Dubai, Dubai-Singapore) because of our experience with this cruise line.

Did you book these future cruises with the same cruise line, and if so what were some of the factors that made the experience positive ?

I certainly thought, once on a ship, that doing back to back reduces the risk and per day average cost , plus makes the effort more worthwhile.

Did you book these future cruises with the same cruise line, and if so what were some of the factors that made the experience positive ?

I certainly thought, once on a ship, that doing back to back reduces the risk and per day average cost , plus makes the effort more worthwhile.

Yes, all booked with Celebrity. We got significant onboard credit from Celebrity for booking on the ship. Something like 5% as obc. The booking immediately transferred to a travel agent we used for the current cruise. We got another 8% as refundable obc from her. Also, got $100 off each cruise for being back to back. Includes tips, premium drinks package, streaming internet and some cabin credit.

It was really easy to book whilst onboard. However, we would have got most, not all, of the cabin credits even if we didn’t do it that way.

We wanted to do the Suez trip initially. Then we thought, we are in Dubai and the next itinerary looks great so might as well since we are there. I think our flights might be more expensive in the end (to Rome and back from SE Asia). However, we will stay in SE Asia post cruises so that’s a benefit too.

I recently read “die with zero” and that influenced our huge spend on this trip [emoji57].

ETA: if you meant what were the positives of Celebrity that influenced us - fully vaccinated crew and passengers and testing pre cruise. Absolutely that. Wouldn’t consider a cruise line that doesn’t protect the crew and passengers in that way. No Covid cases at all so far.

Last edited:
We’re in Barcelona this week, headed to Mallorca for a few days, after having spent 10 days previously in Bordeaux. Last night we went to the orchestra, which was a risk, and everyone was masked. France was more formal at the government level, and we had to obtain a QR code to show at every single restaurant, and everyone wears masks inside, period. No one in Spain has asked for any documentation, but everyone wears masks inside, period, and frequently outside, and hand sanitizer is everywhere. On balance, I feel much safer here than the U.S., because of the far stronger personal responsibility ethic.

We’re in Barcelona this week, headed to Mallorca for a few days, after having spent 10 days previously in Bordeaux. Last night we went to the orchestra, which was a risk, and everyone was masked. France was more formal at the government level, and we had to obtain a QR code to show at every single restaurant, and everyone wears masks inside, period. No one in Spain has asked for any documentation, but everyone wears masks inside, period, and frequently outside, and hand sanitizer is everywhere. On balance, I feel much safer here than the U.S., because of the far stronger personal responsibility ethic.

It's national law in Spain to mask indoors..."far stronger personal responsibility ethics" is a bit of a stretch. Same with the QR code.

It would nice to just get on the ground reports without editorializing.

I really don’t care why people get vaccinated, wear masks, maintain distances indoors, and try to work together to keep people safe, as long as they do. I stand by my statement.

Last edited:
I really don’t care why people get vaccinated, wear masks, maintain distances indoors, and try to work together to keep people safe, as long as they do. I stand by my statement.

I'm fine with just the facts, that works for me. Keeping it factual leads better information and longer lasting threads.

Do they accept CDC cards at all instead of the digital pass or QR codes?

Yeah masks and vaccines haven't been politicized nearly to the same extent so people have no problems putting on masks as they enter venues.

Some places are even more strict like Monaco, they made you put on masks outside and it was a sweltering day when I visited in early July.

We are starting to plan our trip to the upper NE states for Fall 2022 with friends and possibly looking at France/Italy.
Although it is almost a year away, hearing about 4th waves in parts of Europe and the US are frustrating.

The EU accepts CDC cards as proof of vaccination. Individual nations may have other rules, ie, France. Go here to see a summary: https://apply.joinsherpa.com/map

The EU Digital COVID certificate is available only to EU citizens. Airlines may require a PCR test to fly.

I was trying to find out if the way they're enforcing it has changed at all recently.

I was trying to find out if the way they're enforcing it has changed at all recently.

France requires the digital pass. You can convert your CDC card for a fee at pharmacies (select) in France. They had an online system before but scraped it. It likely will be extended until next summer. I leave next week for my second trip this year (we have a place in the south, an area with 82.6% vaccination). Pass checking at restaurants and cafes is usually enforced in major cities like Paris but anecdotally I've heard in my expat forumss that is it is enforced less in the countryside. Back in August, I saw entire parties being turned away because someone had only a non-conforming test certificate.

The French pass can be used in Italy as well. There is a cross-EU standard.

There has been a rise of infections in Europe, but the biggest increases in infections and hospitalizations are driven by the Eastern European countries. The aforementioned Spain has barely increased. France is seeing in an increase, in particular in areas where infection measures were relaxed.

Last edited:
OK, good to know.

I wasn't planning to visit Europe again until at least spring.

So who knows what the requirements will be by then.

It all depends on how they get through the winter -- same for us as well.

They are behind us in rolling out boosters though.

I flew to and from Canada last week. With everyone vaccinated and with a negative COVID test and masking, the chances of contracting COVID on the flight would be rare. The issue for many large families will be the added expense of COVID testing just to cross the border. Pierson Airport in Toronto was a complete ghost town so the chances of contracting COVID at the airport is also rare.

The meal service has improved since last year. There was only one person complaining on the return flight but the crew took care of the matter quickly without incident. So things are starting to return to normal.

I was able to pick up my wife's prescriptions from her OBGYN at the Costco pharmacy in North York Toronto and saved $1928 USD for a one year supply. I got a doctor that I met at the funeral I attended to to write up the prescription at double dose. Costco Canada allows you to buy six months supply if paying cash. The savings more than covered the cost of my first/business class return ticket, rental car, and gas.

I'm now looking for tickets to Switzerland for spring/summer 2022.

Back
Top Bottom