Anyone Considering Cancelling Travel

What are people's thoughts on outdoor sporting events?

The US Open tennis starts in a week at 100% capacity.
I would like to go see Serena Williams but not sure.
I live close enough to drive and park.

:confused:

No way would I go to the US Open this year. Even being fully vaccinated, sitting in (fairly) close quarters with hundreds of other people for hours on end seems like a recipe for joining the "breakthrough club". I have heard of and read about several instances of super-Delta-spreader events at outdoor sporting events in recent months.

That was my concern even before the variant, which made me postpone E. Europe. Even if I got an asymptomatic case I cold pass it on to an unvaccinated local in a country without enough healthcare resources. I was also picturing myself landing in London on the way home and being quarantined because I'd been in a country with a high rate of infection.

Well, I guess that depends on where in E. Europe. Some of them have comparable or better vaccination rates than the US and the health care infrastructure is world class.

I avoided transiting through London, since they’re not in the EU. It’s easier to go through a major EU city, such as Amsterdam or Frankfurt.

Well, I guess that depends on where in E. Europe. Some of them have comparable or better vaccination rates than the US and the health care infrastructure is world class.

Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania and Croatia. I know that many countries in E. Europe are medical tourism destinations-Poland and Hungary come to mind- but not sure about these countries.

In October 2020, my wife and I wanted to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary at an all inclusive resort in Jamaica.

We all know how that went.

So after we got fully vaccinated in April 2021 we thought everything looks like it will be getting better and booked 6 days in Jamaica in October. Figured almost 7 months away.

Needless to say things are not going as expected. I was getting worried but dare not say anything to the wife as she was so excited.

A couple of days ago she said many friends are cancelling their domestic and international trips and thought we should consider cancelling ours.

Wow, didn't see that one coming. So I did some new research on Jamaica.

US government rates it a 3 stating to reconsider travel. Several weeks ago it was rated 4 - do not travel. So improving I guess.

Jamaica requires covid testing when visiting and US requires it when arriving. After reading Jamaica's covid guidelines, if you show a positive test before leaving you have to quarantine for 14 days and may be required to stay at a government facility.

Jamaica has less than 6% fully vaccinated.

Ughhhh. So I haven't cancelled yet as we have until October 1st but it does not look promising.

Anyone else considering or has cancelled travel?
I have seen that coming when I realized people have failed to take covid seriously in the US. Back in 2020 lockdown period the original strain had R0 value of 3. Now the dominant Delta has 9 and we are talking about back to school with no vaccine or mask mandate. It is not only we failed to learn from our mistakes from only a year ago but we have been forgetful.

Nothing in my post is political. It is common sense that you shouldnt have contact with others when there is a pandemic going on. You don't get infected if you are not exposed. It is that simple. People think gathering and freedom is more important than health. They forgot they are helping the virus to gain more ground by being the carrier and receiver of the transmission.

In Sept we fly home to the US with a stop in Brazil to see DD. Not crazy about that but her town actually has low numbers. You really have to look at the areas you are going as even in the US right now 5 states are totally skewing the US averages. Our area in CT is extremely low compared to say Florida. Now in Oct we are supposed to go to France and are totally on the fence about that!

Our next trip will be Ireland and then to central UK to hang out with family. We'll know when it is right, and certainly not making any plans yet.

I'd do it as long as it's outdoors, but wear a mask all the time.
The issue becomes would be comfortable wearing the mask.

We recently did a 5 hour flight and had to wear the masks 4 hours before the flight with no break, so a total of 9 hours. It was OK.

But if you are sitting in the sun it might not be comfortable.

We’ve got a trip to Hawaii planned for late October/early November, for my 60th BD…just DW and me, because I know the fam I have around here will want to throw a shindig that I want no part of. And because last year was the first year in the past 20 that we haven’t gone at least once (we love it there).

That said, even though restrictions on vax’d travelers have been dropped, restaurant capacity and I’m sure other venues for tourists have been restricted to 50% capacity. I know how hard it can be to get a seat normally, and with the number of travelers to Hawaii way up, even past normal levels, that some of the things we like to do will be a nightmare. We haven’t cancelled yet, but if the direction of things continues along the current trajectory, we probably will. It just won’t be enjoyable.

Planning to go to a college football game in October with oh 105k fans.Unless something changes.

So I’m still working, (3 years, 10 months and 25 days until my pension early out). I’ve travelled significantly and been in large crowds because of work since July of 2020, was was fully vaccinated in the group right after medical people by mid February. I take recommended percussions in crowds and when I’m indoors. In the ends it really depends on your personal risk tolerance. I see the risk of contracting Covid to be about the same as any other life hazard, if one takes practical precautions. So I’ve also traveled personally but since my favored travel includes a lot of hiking in parks, and being outside it’s a calculated risk.

Wearing a mask is OK. Wearing a proper n95 or KN95 is much better.

I do wish they would stop talking about 'masks' as though there is little difference between a cloth mask, a gator, a bluish medical mask, and the N95 class of masks.

IOW, if you depend on a mask for protection, make certain it is a good one.

Last edited:
I already posted this on 2021 travel plans. We just cancelled a Nov - Dec cruise (2 actually, back to back). It was a family get-together and once one group in the family cancelled then another etc we all pulled out 3 days before the next level of penalty for cancelling. We are getting full credit, I think, and airfare is refundable. I'm good with it. The factors considered included having to go to Florida and the PITA of wearing masks just about all the time. It was supposed to be a 100% vaxxed cruise, too. A couple days after we canceled, the CDC recommended not taking a cruise if you are older or whatever and we're older and DH and his brother are lifelong asthmatics (now COPD).

Goodbye FL and cruise, hello day trips farther from home, primarily to hike.

Since I am fully vaccinated I won't be cancelling any travel plans because of fear of getting covid. I may cancel travel plans if too many things are closed or restricted because of a surge in covid cases. I'm planning to travel to Florida during the winter months so we will just have to wait and see what happens. I won't be booking anything far in advance but am still currently planning on going.

I do wish they would stop talking about 'masks' as though there is little difference between a cloth mask, a gator, a bluish medical mask, and the N95 class of masks.

We made sure on our flights to use N95 masks with awful but effective head straps, and on the cruise ship I used a cloth + kn95 mask with convenient ear loops.

DW pointed out my ears were pulled out, so I looked funny. :ermm:

This is so true and so important.

We made sure on our flights to use N95 masks with awful but effective head straps, and on the cruise ship I used a cloth + kn95 mask with convenient ear loops.

I used N95s in the airports and on planes. Harder to breathe but those are the places I considered most risky, especially the darn tram at Seattle last night. They now have a new announcement to repeat every 5 minutes and they specifically say that gaiters must be doubled up and bandanas do not count as masks.

OP here

First off, thanks for the responses. Looks like some are cancelling and some are moving forward with their plans. That is to be expected.

Just cancelled our trip to Jamaica. I was okay with flying and the resort. But due to Jamaica's extremely low vaccination % and a recent covid scare that was outlined in another thread I am unwilling to risk getting covid and potentially getting quarantined in a Jamaican government facility. It just doesn't feel right.

My wife is completely on board and so I went ahead with cancellation. A number of friends continue with their vacation cancellations as the Delta virus rages on.

The cool thing is this whole trip - resort and airfare - was fully paid with reward points. Both the airline and hotel points were immediately put back into my accounts. Kinda shocked me how quickly it happened. Plus the $293 in airline fees I had to pay were refunded back to my cc.

My wife and I decided next April we'll do the same thing. Book our Jamaican trip with points for October and cancel later if we want to.

We're looking at a relatively local beach trip or may just stay one night in our favorite local hotel for our anniversary.

No regrets. I've learned many times over the years it pays to follow one's intuition. Rarely has it been wrong.

Last edited:
The cool thing is this whole trip - resort and airfare - was fully paid with reward points. Both the airline and hotel points were immediately put back into my accounts. Kinda shocked me how quickly it happened. Plus the $293 in airline fees I had to pay were refunded back to my cc.

Reward points have been fairly easy to refund but what's really changed is the flexibility on flights and tours. I haven't lost anything in all my re-scheduling. At this point, I look for that. Hotels can still sneak in rates that are non-cancellable or cancellable only with 3+ days notice. I had to move my reservation overnight near Seattle Airport from Friday night to Thursday night- and had to do it Wednesday AM. No penalty but the rate sure went up!

Last edited:
OP here

First off, thanks for the responses. Looks like some are cancelling and some are moving forward with their plans. That is to be expected.

Just cancelled our trip to Jamaica. I was okay with flying and the resort. But due to Jamaica's extremely low vaccination % and a recent covid scare that was outlined in another thread I am unwilling to risk getting covid and potentially getting quarantined in a Jamaican government facility. It just doesn't feel right.

My wife is completely on board and so I went ahead with cancellation. A number of friends continue with their vacation cancellations as the Delta virus rages on.

My wife and I decided next April we'll do the same thing. Book our Jamaican trip with points for October and cancel later if we want to.

We're looking at a relatively local beach trip or may just stay one night in our favorite local hotel for our anniversary.

No regrets. I've learned many times over the years it pays to follow one's intuition. Rarely has it been wrong.

Sorry you won’t be going but glad you and your DW are comfortable with your decision and are on the same page. That’s the most important thing. It would be hard to enjoy a trip if you were anxious the whole time.

Reward points have been fairly easy to refund but what's really changed is the flexibility on flights and tours. I haven't lost anything in all my re-scheduling. At this point, I look for that. Hotels can still sneak in rates that are non-cancellable or cancellable only with 3+ days notice. I had to move my reservation overnight near Seattle Airport from Friday night to Thursday night- and had to do it Wednesday AM. No penalty but the rate sure went up!

I’m really glad we had travel insurance for our Galapagos trip. Our dive boat was quite expensive and even though we cancelled more than 180 days before sailing, there was still a hefty penalty that fortunately insurance paid for.

In Sept we fly home to the US with a stop in Brazil to see DD. Not crazy about that but her town actually has low numbers. You really have to look at the areas you are going as even in the US right now 5 states are totally skewing the US averages. Our area in CT is extremely low compared to say Florida. Now in Oct we are supposed to go to France and are totally on the fence about that!

I'm in France right now. The infection rates do vary, with the coasts being higher. Lower overall than the US But the vaccination rates are very high, and have accelerated with the pass sanitaire (the French digital passport requiring proof of vaccination to enter restaurants, cafes, bars, museums, long distance trains and the like). Everyone here is wearing mask indoors with proper masks. The infection numbers have dropped along with the reproduction rate -- by October it should be great.

Connected through Germany, where surgical or FPP2 or KN95 masks or better are required on the flights. In Bavaria, some establishments require FFP2 or KN95/N95 masks for entry, like the airline lounge.

Contrast this with my flight to Seattle a couple weeks back. Much less rigorous.

We're driving to where we want to go. Still going, but not flying and not international either.

Thats the same as us... leave in the morning to drive 5 hours to visit DW sister
who are down south camping (their yearly pilgrimage) normally we just crash in their camper for a few days, but this year we've rented a cabin, and will keep our distance... We have 2 other camping trips planned, and holding on reservations for one later next year for now.

I'm in France right now. The infection rates do vary, with the coasts being higher. Lower overall than the US But the vaccination rates are very high, and have accelerated with the pass sanitaire (the French digital passport requiring proof of vaccination to enter restaurants, cafes, bars, museums, long distance trains and the like). Everyone here is wearing mask indoors with proper masks. The infection numbers have dropped along with the reproduction rate -- by October it should be great.

Connected through Germany, where surgical or FPP2 or KN95 masks or better are required on the flights. In Bavaria, some establishments require FFP2 or KN95/N95 masks for entry, like the airline lounge.
Good to know!

If France gets cases under control we’ll learn something.

Our last trip to France included Bordeaux and we thought the city was lovely. The (not so) nearby Dordogne area was fantastic.

Last edited:
My 4-stage bicycle race next week in British Columbia was sadly cancelled. Late last week the govt there sent out a directive that forbid events with more than 100 participants. The race had over 200 athletes registered.

So instead of racing across epic mountain passes on sweet dirt and gravel roads this week, I’ll be sadly sitting down here inside the house in smokey Northern California.

We also have plans with BIL and wife for a week down in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico in mid-October. I’m giving that one a 50:50 chance of happening.

Back
Top Bottom