Anyone done a cross-country drive, roughing it?

For those looking for a minimalist trailer, I suggest looking at the teardrop units. Google on that term. Think of the shape of half a drop of water, on wheels. Should pull easily behind the smallest of cars. It doesn't work for me, at 6' 8" tall, but for most folks, it might.

However, I'm still of the opinion that a locking door, heat/AC, hot water, clean sheets, TV, wireless internet connection and a comfortable bed are one of the heights of Western Civilization.

DW just made me promise that, on my overnight motor-bike trips, I have to stay in mid-price places, and avoid the mom-and-pop motels (unless there's nothing else). I carry a hammock for mid-day siestas, but don't plan to camp or cook ever again.

I have read that living in an RV offers no privacy. Is it because of the RV or because of the RV campgrounds?

One thing I'd want in an RV, which you can't get in a trailer: the ability to sleep in the back while someone else is driving.

For people like me, roughing it on a cross-country drive is staying on the second floor of a nice motel with no elevator, and eating at Cracker Barrel! :2funny: :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Just joking, couldn't help it!!! I plead no coffee yet and still early on Saturday morning. :D

For people like me, roughing it on a cross-country drive is staying on the second floor of a nice motel with no elevator, and eating at Cracker Barrel!

I second that.

A bit of cost comparison might be of interest here. During the summer of 2007 We made a four month amble from Austin to Vancouver and back. Our plan was to stay in cheapest places that were also safe and clean. We didn't work at it too hard, usually spent less than 30 minutes looking for the next hotel or motel, and mostly going by the AAA guide. Except for a week on Holland America's Zaandam and another week condo sitting in Oakland, we averaged about $110/day and I don't see how we could have done it much cheaper. (Lodging only, food not included.) If anything, we erred on the cheap side, but prices are high in desirable locations like national parks and cities like Vancouver. The best values were in 1950s vintage motels on route 66. Some of them were charming and well-maintained.

I second that.

A bit of cost comparison might be of interest here. During the summer of 2007 We made a four month amble from Austin to Vancouver and back. Our plan was to stay in cheapest places that were also safe and clean. We didn't work at it too hard, usually spent less than 30 minutes looking for the next hotel or motel, and mostly going by the AAA guide. Except for a week on Holland America's Zaandam and another week condo sitting in Oakland, we averaged about $110/day and I don't see how we could have done it much cheaper. (Lodging only, food not included.) If anything, we erred on the cheap side, but prices are high in desirable locations like national parks and cities like Vancouver. The best values were in 1950s vintage motels on route 66. Some of them were charming and well-maintained.

If you aren't going to desirable locations like national parks and big cities, rates for a nice motel room can be quite a bit less, too.

I love being able to just spontaneously decide it is time to find a motel, or not. I suspect that with an RV you have to make plans ahead of time or it could be getting dark with no RV park in sight. But then, I can see that having one's *stuff* in the RV would make it seem more home like. I like to eat out and not cook when we travel.

One thing I'd want in an RV, which you can't get in a trailer: the ability to sleep in the back while someone else is driving.

I wouldn't mind roughing it like you folks on your recent trip...but if I demanded we do that, I'd probably be in need of a new wife....

...problem with the above is that I doubt very seriously if my DW will drive our (eventual) RV. That will limit our miles per day, but that's ok, we'll be FiREd by then.

R

You need to read a wider range of source material.

I have looked at the construction videos at the Keystone site, and as good as they looked for an RV, the walls are very thin compared to residential construction, so if you are parked 20 ft. from 4 other RVs, I guess it's comparable to living in an wood and plaster apartment. It may be a bit too much for people who are used to houses in the suburb.

I covet those teardrop campers man, coolest thing ever.

I have looked at the construction videos at the Keystone site, and as good as they looked for an RV, the walls are very thin compared to residential construction, so if you are parked 20 ft. from 4 other RVs, I guess it's comparable to living in an wood and plaster apartment. It may be a bit too much for people who are used to houses in the suburb.
True. Residential construction standards for RV walls would result in weights beyond reasonable limits. Although I've rarely had a problem with noisy neighbors, RVing probably isn't for those who require the quiet solitude of a suburban home or, like W2R, have a "thing" about RV septic systems.

Luckily there are lots of well insulated and well plumbed hotel rooms available for you guys. ;)

True. Residential construction standards for RV walls would result in weights beyond reasonable limits. Although I've rarely had a problem with noisy neighbors, RVing probably isn't for those who require the quiet solitude of a suburban home or, like W2R, have a "thing" about RV septic systems.

Luckily there are lots of well insulated and well plumbed hotel rooms available for you guys. ;)

Yes! :clap: Give me a quiet motel room with not only plumbing but also nice clean sheets, wi-fi, and free continental breakfast and I am a very happy camper. :D

Although I've rarely had a problem with noisy neighbors, RVing probably isn't for those who require the quiet solitude of a suburban home ...

I will admit that if I have to restrict myself to RV campgrounds, the whole concept loses a significant attractiveness for me. I have been to a few RV forums, but the postings are few, and the writing boring.

I have been reading blogs of boondockers - there are some interesting ones out there - and live vicariously through them. RV'ers, please start a thread to share your drycamping experience.

We are in the midst of trying to decide trailer or RV, if it is a trailer, is it a regular or a trail manor, if it is an RV, do we keep it to 30ft so we can go to our favorite dry camp areas and state campgrounds (with 30ft limits), or do we go bigger for the big cross country trips we want to do and get a small trailer as well for the state park type places, and do we go class A or class C (but do we want to waste the money on having 2 units??).

I really want something nice, as does DW, but our current thinking is MAYBE it would be better to start with a small-to-medium sized trailer with the largest tank we can find, just to make sure we'll really enjoy it...and just pull it with the Tundra. We don't want to spend a ton on a big beautiful class A and find we don't enjoy the cross country stuff sans hotel, even though we are sure we will enjoy the mountain/state park camping given sufficient space and tank size.

The variable in all of this is "how much" RV travel we will actually do. The local RV guy has told us that the tow limits specified by the mfr is a max, and that if we do lots of RV travel, we should de-rate the max to 65-70% of the mfr's limit, otherwise run the risk of ruining the engine & tranny. If we find we love it, we'll want something a bit larger (already found one we like) but it would put us in the 8500-9000 lb range...much more than 65-70% of our truck's 10,000lb tow capacity.

I don't know, guess I am just verbalizing thoughts here. I look at the RV boards from time to time, but the help there is a bit more sparse than here. Any advice/comments?

R

Rambler, I fully agree with the advice you were given regarding the maximum size you should tow with your existing truck. I think if I were you I'd look at buying something pre-owned and use that to test your enthusiasm for the RV lifestyle. Renting something for a while is also an option.

Rich_in_Tampa should be along shortly to describe his experience in progressing from from a Class B, to a TrailManor, to a Class A over the period of a few years. My experience went from a series of pop-ups when the kids were young, a long period of no RV at all, then a small travel trailer and finally to a Class A once we retired.

Our two examples are fairly typical I think - starting small and going larger over time. That might argue for skipping all the interim steps and buying a 45' diesel pusher from the get-go, but I wouldn't recommend it. :)

Rambler, I think REW gives good advice. We had a very particular set of constraints and wants, so the decision was pretty easy for us. We have been talking about what kind of lifestyle we want upon retirement (lo, those many years in the future), and its pretty clear that we want to have a home base that we can wander from for weeks at a time, as well as taking short trips. I suspect that means we will be looking at a larger trailer than what we have or possibly something motorized. The enduring knock on a motorized RV for us is the inability to toot around once you get to the area you are going and set up. YMMV, naturally.

Try renting a couple times and see how a class C or A (common rental options) suits you.

Rambler,

I am currently having many of the same thoughts about buying an RV/trailer and have been for a couple of years. Sadly, I do not think I am any closer to figuring out what I should do than I was two years ago.

REWahoo,

Several people have suggested renting; but, rents for a class A or C (where I'm currently leaning) seemed exorbitant any time I've looked. Do you have any suggestions for finding something for a reasonable weekly or monthly rate? I would be most interested in picking something up in Missouri (or, its neighboring states) or Florida; but, I might be open to picking up pretty much anywhere in the south or southwestern states.

Don't shine a UV light on the bedding...

Good advice.

In an RV you know who were the last users of the bedding.

OTOH if you are into biological sampling, a hotel room offers variety.:D

Rambler,

I am currently having many of the same thoughts about buying an RV/trailer and have been for a couple of years. Sadly, I do not think I am any closer to figuring out what I should do than I was two years ago.

REWahoo,

Several people have suggested renting; but, rents for a class A or C (where I'm currently leaning) seemed exorbitant any time I've looked. Do you have any suggestions for finding something for a reasonable weekly or monthly rate? I would be most interested in picking something up in Missouri (or, its neighboring states) or Florida; but, I might be open to picking up pretty much anywhere in the south or southwestern states.

We rented a class C for a week a couple years ago. It told us that A) we definately would like to buy and do this regularly and B) we definately would not be happy with a Class C right now. Money well spent.

Having said that, there are a couple ways to skin the cat. One way is to rent for a one-way trip when the companies are repositioning their rental fleets. Some time in Sept/Oct there will be lots of campers that need to be moved from the north to FL, TX, SoCal, etc. The rental companies (like CruiseAmerica) let these rentals go for peanuts. The second thought is to look into the extended rental deals that some companies will do. CruiseAmerica used to even do extended leases or sale/buybacks at a guaranteed price.

Storage was / is an issue for us, but other than that I would consider a Sprinter-based Class B as a means for testing the lifestyle and learning the systems. A good class B (Roadtrek, Great West, etc.) has almost everything my Class A has, just smaller. If after a year you decide the lifestyle is not for you, they are easier to sell and can function nicely on their own as that extra vehicle til you sell.

We enjoyed our TrailManor, but be aware that hitches, setup and takedown can be a hassle especially for short trips. Still, it was a good learning experience.

We settled finally on a 36' Class A and especially for my DW, the difference is dramatic. She actually bugs me to set up our next trip as we are drive home from our last one. The differences include a king bed, larger kitchen and shower, and the on-road experience (food preparation, bathroom, couch with ottoman for the passenger, and a basement (meaning under the floor) residential quality air conditioner, important here in the tropics.

Class C's were less suitable for us but work well for many (I think Martha's Lazy Daze is a C, officially speaking, and she seems to like it).

Cost, available storage, and need to use an existing tow vehicle all factor in strongly. If you have friends who are experienced in RVing and willing to coach you, consider going right to a smaller Class A, perhaps in the 32' range.

It's helpful to go to one or two of the large RV shows each year, and do lots of tire kicking. Good luck.

Do you have any suggestions for finding something for a reasonable weekly or monthly rate?

What brewer suggested is probably your best option. Regular rental rates aren't cheap, but as was mentioned, the cost can be worth it to educate yourself on what you want (or don't want) to purchase.

Back
Top Bottom