Anyone else get a job for health insurance? Officially un-retired.

Good for you. It's great to find something you enjoy. From a work aspect, it's so improved compared to your prior situation, you might not of left if the Leadership addressed it before.

I think many of us think about Plan A, B, C, etc. about healthcare coverage that it might delay my targeted ER of age 50. The idea of 15 years at potentially $25k to $40k (about $500k) for ok healthcare coverage does not appeal to me. Furthermore, I'm concerned what if I skip routine things to save money. For me, I think a nice part time commitment with a good team could be my future focus. Something like what you have now would be great. Congrats!

Well, the subject did come up (working for health insurance).

We're tabling it for a year.

I haven't but never say never (although I have other options for health insurance).

I did! With no break though, so that was rough. My last day at my toxic workplace was a Friday, I packed on Saturday & travelled to my new "retirement job" employer's HQ on Sunday then began training on Monday for 4 weeks then back home to start work at an airline call center.

When details of the ACA began to emerge, I began to seriously look into retiring early, because losing employer-sponsored health insurance had always been the main barrier to ER for me. I eagerly read all the posts here on navigating & working the system, & researched what was available in my zip code. As time went on, I became less & less confident that I wanted to count on the ACA for 15+ years until Medicare eligibility.

My then-employer offered retiree medical that I would be eligible for at age 55, so I planned to just tough it out til then even though the premiums were very high. When they discontinued retiree medical, I knew it was time to look for alternatives.

I heard about the airline call center job from a friend who used to work there, so began checking the airline's job posts daily, & finally there was an opening. The timing wasn't great, but who knew when the next opening would be, so I went for it.

Around my 1 year anniversary my request to go part time was approved. Same great benefits, less hours, win-win. If nothing changes, I will be eligible for retiree medical so I can "retire retire" a little past age 60. Taking it 1 day at a time, making very little $ but enjoying wonderful benefits & not having to work that much. This year I concentrated on harvesting cap gains at 0% & plan to do a small Roth conversion, next year more Roth depending on tax law changes.

7 months after I retired I was offered a chance to teach an online college class. No health insurance but very good pay for very little work that I can do anywhere with internet access. It has been 5 years and I don't ever plan on quitting.

... this year, I have not used any service and will skip the annual check up too...

Just recall something, and do not want to be called a liar.

I did go to an ophthalmologist this year, for which I had to pay out-of-pocket as it is insignificant relative to the deduction of something like $10K. However, I did get a shingle and a flu shot, both for zero cost due to ACA.

Yep, I did not contribute anything to the rise of healthcare cost this year. But I did my part a few years ago, when between my son and I we cost our pre-ACA insurer around $200K, spread over 3 years.

Anyway, I have not been to the general practitioner this year. I checked my own BP and blood glucose regularly, and they are both good. I guess a biennial visit should be plenty.

I don't have a 9 to 5 kind of job but I look for bargains and ways to optimize expenses so we can stay under the ACA MAGI limit, so that is kind of a hobby job.

I work mainly for the benefits. It is a low paying job making just $2.50 more per hr than min wage but I get all hours in within 3 days each week. Paid to sleep two nights of it so it's fine. Technically on call at night but hardly ever woken up. Bed is very comfortable too, as is the staff room I sleep in... + private bath w/shower

At age 65, I will reduce my hours to 20 hrs per wk (2 10 hr days per wk) to obtain the Indemnity Plan which acts as a Medigap, prescription and dental plan...all for $10 mo. It includes 1k per yr of dental, 100K life insurance too. Cannot find anything remotely near that plan offered to part timers for just $10 mo.

Right now I work full time 3 days a wk straight thru for-

2K a year of Dental thru Ameritas. $55 mo. for both of us
Medical- myself only- fully employer subsidized. Akin to a Bronze plan I believe. 1K deductible
Life Insurance- $100K myself-, 25K for him.- Cost $5 month.
Life w/Accident & Dismemberment- both of us- Cost $32 mo.
401k match- 4%
Paid Holidays
Xmas Bonus- $300
Accumulate about 12 hrs of Paid Time Off (PTO) per mo.
Paid to sleep (yet am on call during the night but hardly ever woken up, and if so, 15 min average time then to bed)

Other small perks- $50 gift cards 1-2x per yr, paid CPR & First Aid class every 2 yrs, re-imbursement at .50 cents per mile for one way to work

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom